Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's awesome, i'd love to have one of those someday
Sames, theyre so cute. I hope it means were closer to captive bred chaetodon melapterus, cause thats a fish i need haha.
Would you get one for your current tank, or would you wait for a fish only

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow so cool
@Angel_Anthias lover I had one of these fish once although it wasn't captive-bred. It lives up to it's name butterfly since it looks so graceful. It was an impulse buy from Petco and didn't live very long. Since then and also because of a couple other previous buys I stopped buying livestock from the Petco chain. They arrive so unhealthy and aren't quarantined. Since the chain carries dog, cat, bird, and reptile products they can't hire employees that have experience in all those animal departments. The employees can seldom tell you if a fish has been eating because they either aren't trained to look for those things, don't have the experience for it, or just don't care. Since I live in a small rural town and seldom get the chance to travel to a city that has a decent LFS (we have one but it doesn't carry any reef products or livestock) I take my chances and usually buy livestock online for overnight delivery.

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Angel_Anthias lover I had one of these fish once although it wasn't captive-bred. It lives up to it's name butterfly since it looks so graceful. It was an impulse buy from Petco and didn't live very long. Since then and also because of a couple other previous buys I stopped buying livestock from the Petco chain. They arrive so unhealthy and aren't quarantined. Since the chain carries dog, cat, bird, and reptile products they can't hire employees that have experience in all those animal departments. The employees can seldom tell you if a fish has been eating because they either aren't trained to look for those things, don't have the experience for it, or just don't care. Since I live in a small rural town and seldom get the chance to travel to a city that has a decent LFS (we have one but it doesn't carry any reef products or livestock) I take my chances and usually buy livestock online for overnight delivery.
Sorry it didnt last long, butterflies seem to be tricky generally. Big chain stores like that can be frustrating, i have heard some petcos are good, but i feel thats more likely to be an exception to the general consensus on them. Over here we have the equivalent to petco, of 'pets at home' and theyre just as bad, thankfully never seem to keep marine stock, but i still feel bad for the freshwater fish and reptiles.
Have you found online delivery to be good?

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
congrats on the new anthias, and the pictus blenny - I had one, it was am an adorable and beautiful fish (It munched on my acan too...)

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it didnt last long, butterflies seem to be tricky generally. Big chain stores like that can be frustrating, i have heard some petcos are good, but i feel thats more likely to be an exception to the general consensus on them. Over here we have the equivalent to petco, of 'pets at home' and theyre just as bad, thankfully never seem to keep marine stock, but i still feel bad for the freshwater fish and reptiles.
Have you found online delivery to be good?
@Angel_Anthias lover fairly good results with online purchases. About 95% of my all-time purchases have been online for overnight delivery. Once I made a purchase from Hawaii that was 2 days delivery. I had to have a big minimum order and it was some plates with coralline and a bunch of CUC invertebrates like mini asterina stars and micro-brittle stars. They seemed to slowly disappear over time and then a heater failed on "off" and I didn't catch it right away and I never saw a mobile invert again after that. I made a purchase to Liveaquaria at the beginning of December once and the package got lost in the mail. Then arrived three days late. I opened the box and then the bag and the water was ice cold. I immediately called them and asked for credit and they said I had to acclimate the fish as I would if it had arrived on schedule as I normally would. I told them I would and figured there might be a very slim chance to save the fish so I did a floating bag acclimation but did not save the fish. Overall I would say I'm pleased with online delivery mostly because of them diversity of livestock choices and I can usually get what I want when I want it. But the biggest down side is buying sight unseen. You actually don't know what you're getting other than the specie and aproximate size.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Angel_Anthias lover fairly good results with online purchases. About 95% of my all-time purchases have been online for overnight delivery. Once I made a purchase from Hawaii that was 2 days delivery. I had to have a big minimum order and it was some plates with coralline and a bunch of CUC invertebrates like mini asterina stars and micro-brittle stars. They seemed to slowly disappear over time and then a heater failed on "off" and I didn't catch it right away and I never saw a mobile invert again after that. I made a purchase to Liveaquaria at the beginning of December once and the package got lost in the mail. Then arrived three days late. I opened the box and then the bag and the water was ice cold. I immediately called them and asked for credit and they said I had to acclimate the fish as I would if it had arrived on schedule as I normally would. I told them I would and figured there might be a very slim chance to save the fish so I did a floating bag acclimation but did not save the fish. Overall I would say I'm pleased with online delivery mostly because of them diversity of livestock choices and I can usually get what I want when I want it. But the biggest down side is buying sight unseen. You actually don't know what you're getting other than the specie and aproximate size.
Sorry to hear that about the live aquaria issue, i have heard a few bad things about their delivery here and there, unfortunate it happened to you. Wow thats cool buying directly from hawaii, i didnt know people could do that.
Yea thats true about the diversity, local lfs would have to worry about having expensive fish sitting possibly to death but big online shops dont have to worry so much so can bring in more cool stuff, due to their higher turn over.
What will you be ordering next ?

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that about the live aquaria issue, i have heard a few bad things about their delivery here and there, unfortunate it happened to you. Wow thats cool buying directly from hawaii, i didnt know people could do that.
Yea thats true about the diversity, local lfs would have to worry about having expensive fish sitting possibly to death but big online shops dont have to worry so much so can bring in more cool stuff, due to their higher turn over.
What will you be ordering next ?
@Angel_Anthias lover my next big purchase after I save up for it will be the chiller but I will make some miscellaneous purchases between now and then. I want to get a few things from Aqua Rocks Habit like a magnetic anemone cup so the nem can put its foot inside and the cup can be mounted on the glass with the magnet. Also a bowl from them to hold sand for sand sleeping wrasses as I’ll run bare bottom. Their products are made out of a material that looks like liverock.

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Angel_Anthias lover my next big purchase after I save up for it will be the chiller but I will make some miscellaneous purchases between now and then. I want to get a few things from Aqua Rocks Habit like a magnetic anemone cup so the nem can put its foot inside and the cup can be mounted on the glass with the magnet. Also a bowl from them to hold sand for sand sleeping wrasses as I’ll run bare bottom. Their products are made out of a material that looks like liverock.
Oh wow those aqua rocks habit products sound really cool, never heard of them before.
What types of wrasses will you be getting?

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow those aqua rocks habit products sound really cool, never heard of them before.
What types of wrasses will you be getting?
@Angel_Anthias lover not sure what wrasse(s) I'll be getting. Maybe from Blue Zoo Aquatics their Yellow Canary (Coris) Wrasses occasionally that are maricultured although I haven't seen them offered for a long time. There are few wrasse species offered as captive-bred and that's what I'm looking for.

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20201221_174946.jpg
20201221_175016.jpg
20201221_175118.jpg
20201221_175151.jpg
20201221_175201.jpg

Some photos, nothing to really update, but corals dont all seem to be great. Im thinking i may just stick to pretty softies in future, cause it may just be easier.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back