I did. It's an interesting flow pattern but not exactly what I was hoping for

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get the Tunze?
What flow pattern are you try to achieve?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get the Tunze?
What flow pattern are you try to achieve?
I got the Tunze nanostream 6020. I was hoping for a little wider flow pattern. The cup on it is surprisingly good at directing the majority of the flow forward. I might carve out part of the sides to see if that broadens the flow a little.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine without the cap....try that. ;) If it's in a corner, the glass will make a natural deflector.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine without the cap....try that. ;) If it's in a corner, the glass will make a natural deflector.
Wow.. I've been neglecting my own thread. I was actually hoping it would throw more water toward the front glass but it shoots much of it down into the sand. I've moved it up since this picture was taken and that helped.
fts11 (2).jpg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since its been awhile since I updated I figured now is a good time. I'm moving slow with it, and everything is going really well. The only possible issue I can see in the future is some very dense green turf algae showing up in places. Not even close to being a problem yet but I hope to find something that will eat it in the near future. For now, how about some pictures.

fts11.jpg

DSC_0048.JPG

fish.jpg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some of you know, I've had no luck at all keeping SPS corals. My Zoa's and hammers do great but anything else suffers. Now, I think I now why. I had been using an API Calc test kit and was holding around 430ppm. I was almost out and needed a new set and decided to try Red Sea instead. My first reading was 300ppm. Took a sample to my not so LFS and they agree with 300ppm. I'm thinking coral doesn't like 300ppm calc. Figured this out a few days ago.
I've had BRS 2 part for months and an Apex DOS came with the system I bought which have been completely unused because at first my Alk was dropping but then it stabilized. Now I realize my water changes weren't actually keeping up it, it only looked that way. I dosed up to 360ppm calc and guess what.. my alk dropped. Hopefully this will get me on track.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thing you discovered the issue.
Just wish I had found it before I lost the last 10 or so SPS's. Hoping I can finally move forward.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it always happen that way.
We all go through it and still going though it after many years.
IMO as far as test kits go stick with Salifert, Elos, and Red Sea.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have found the easiest most reliable kits to use for calcium are salfarit. Now that's just because the way I test I can get the same result with the same water multiple times

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have found the easiest most reliable kits to use for calcium are salfarit. Now that's just because the way I test I can get the same result with the same water multiple times
I use Salifert for my Alk test and I like it. Unfortunately, they aren't carried locally which is why I went with the Red Sea to replace the API. I may just plan on ordering my test sets if the Red Sea doesn't live up to expectations.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brew whats your main algae control method

that's a very nice clean setup with coralline and I look at the tiny cracks and crevices and see no algae, is it them fine tangs or what, nice

though algae is nice and belongs on a reef to sustain, im still ocd about it and yours passes the white glove visual detail test.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brew whats your main algae control method

that's a very nice clean setup with coralline and I look at the tiny cracks and crevices and see no algae, is it them fine tangs or what, nice

though algae is nice and belongs on a reef to sustain, im still ocd about it and yours passes the white glove visual detail test.
I don't have too much of an algae problem but I do have one. I am getting dense spots of turf algae that are almost impossible to remove from rock. I probably have 30 hermits and 70 snails to help with the cleanup. To deal with the turf algae I just ordered some Chitons that I'm hoping will eat it.

I also have a fuge with a par38 grow light that grows red ogo algae just fine but my chaeto doesn't do great. I think a higher quality light would help and might be doing that in the next few weeks.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank bud;);Troll

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @mcarroll , I owe you my thanks. The extra motivation you provided to up my coral game has worked out well. Finally have my chemistry straightened out and the corals in my DT seem to be doing better than ever. Added a bunch of new ones lately and they all have good PE and coloration.

I just hope I haven't jinxed myself!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back