OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know.. I know.. I'm slacking. Wanted to give an update.
I've had 2 QT systems running pretty much non stop lately. Had a few setbacks but nothing horrible. I'm thinking I am just not meant to have a school of Anthias. :(

My bigger problem has been an overly aggressive yellow tang. He has been putting a serious limit on my ability to add fish. He almost killed a Kole Tang when I tried to add it, but I was able to get him out and into a clean QT tank in time. He did kill at least one of my Anthias.

So, having had a Convict Tang and several other fish in QT and needing a home for them I got busy. I pulled all my coral off the rocks and into racks so I re-arranged all my rock work over 2 days. During this time I put the Kole Tang in an acclimation box in the DT. I used a suction cup type algae clip to hold a mirror against the tank. I started feeding heavier than normal. 2 nights ago I let the Kole Tang out of the box and added the Convict Tang directly into the DT. There was some minor aggression, but everyone seems to be getting along better than I had hoped!

Tonight, the coral needs to come off the frag racks and back onto the rocks. Then I need get things cleaned up and I'll take some new pictures. They are way overdue. I doubt I'll get the pictures tonight before the whites turn off, just too much work needing to be done. Hopefully I can get those tomorrow night.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the chemistry front I have decided to switch salt. I have been using Reef Crystals but I have decided I don't want my Alk that high (11dkh). Picked up some regular IO salt and will be using that to blend with the last of my RC salt to start slowly dropping levels.

That is pretty much where I'm at!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you've had your hands full!
Its been busy and I don't like the new scape as much as the original one, but it is what it is. I do have better spots for coral placement now and the new fish make the tank come alive.

Really crazy to think that it has been less than 8 months since my first fish. What an adventure! So much learning.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I didn't get all the coral mounted. Still have 7 more pieces to go but ran out of superglue. I really need to figure out a better way. It shouldn't be this hard.
Anyway, since I didn't get the coral mounted I didn't get the tank cleaned up. But, here is a picture of a tank that really needs some good husbandry.
DSC_0062.JPG

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost a few more corals and just having a hard time keeping my nitrates stable. Its getting better again so I've got another order of corals coming on Saturday. I'll post some pics once I get them in.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some back-posting here...

I was actually hoping it would throw more water toward the front glass but it shoots much of it down into the sand. I've moved it up since this picture was taken and that helped.
fts11-2-jpg.524802

Point it up, but without the deflector cap....maybe closer to the surface vs the location in the pic (like the change you indicated).

The 6020 is a tiny pump though....I love mine and use it for supplemental flow for a single coral colony in my 50 gallon. ;) You should have limits on your expectations in a larger tank, to be sure. :)

Do you have a microscope that you can use to take a look at that fuzz growing on your back wall? If you have the time and inclination, a $12 microscope like the one I picked up would do the trick for you.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your nitrates at?
They had been bouncing between 0ppm and 20ppm. I kept going through algae growth and die off cycles. I start growing algae, it drops my NO3 to 0ppm and then it starts dying off. I couldn't remove it as fast as it was dying, so it would climb up to around 20ppm and the algae would start growing again. I have purchased a small in tank canister filter and use it to blow off and remove the dying algae and that is finally getting my system more stable. Much more constant between 5ppm and 10ppm now which is why I am trying more corals.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 6020 is a tiny pump though....I love mine and use it for supplemental flow for a single coral colony in my 50 gallon. ;) You should have limits on your expectations in a larger tank, to be sure. :)
It is a tiny pump. I moved it up on the wall and that seemed to work much better. It is just enough to keep detritus suspended in the areas where my MP40's don't reach well.

Do you have a microscope that you can use to take a look at that fuzz growing on your back wall? If you have the time and inclination, a $12 microscope like the one I picked up would do the trick for you.

I don't, and I have pretty much ignored that fuzz. It has pretty much been there since the first month or two and isn't growing or spreading. Is this something you feel I should be more concerned about?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the areas where my MP40's don't reach well.

I remember you working this flow issue before....is it finally resolved or is a pump change possibly in order? That 125 is not the vortechs' ideal situation to begin with. (Three vortechs would be much better if "different" isn't going to happen.)

I don't, and I have pretty much ignored that fuzz. It has pretty much been there since the first month or two and isn't growing or spreading. Is this something you feel I should be more concerned about?

Not per se...I like a little algae growth. :) Really just as a potential clue related to the nutrient issue you mentioned. But why don't snails eat it? (Toxins, or similar, are what I'm imagining.) You mentioned Bryopsis a while back and you've kinda had persistent low nutrient issues. There's just a lot of potential clues....I see clues, I sort them....I can't help it. ;) And an unstable nutrient situation is going to keep the whole tank off balance, so it's worth looking at.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember you working this flow issue before....is it finally resolved or is a pump change possibly in order? That 125 is not the vortechs' ideal situation to begin with. (Three vortechs would be much better if "different" isn't going to happen.)
I'm calling flow "good enough for now". I don't care for my tank dimensions and am looking at getting a new setup next spring. On a tank this long, 18" wide just isn't enough. Still doing some research on exactly what I want to end up with. I might go with a custom 72"x 25"x20" or something close.

Not per se...I like a little algae growth. :) Really just as a potential clue related to the nutrient issue you mentioned. But why don't snails eat it? (Toxins, or similar, are what I'm imagining.) You mentioned Bryopsis a while back and you've kinda had persistent low nutrient issues. There's just a lot of potential clues....I see clues, I sort them....I can't help it. ;) And an unstable nutrient situation is going to keep the whole tank off balance, so it's worth looking at.
I did have Bryopsis but that is good now. Just a tiny bit that is still dying off. I'll take some new pictures so you can see the current status when I get a chance. The fuzzy algae on the back isn't bad at all now and even it is dying off. Not even sure it would come back next time I scrape it. When healthy, it is a fairly bright red. Turns green and then white when it dies off. Once it starts dying my tangs will go after it but the snails have pretty much avoided it.
I should probably have paid more attention to it.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those nitrates should not bother the corals.
If it's a rapid incline and decline then maybe but otherwise there are beautiful SPS tanks with 50ppm nitrates.
Long spine urchins work well with algae but they can be bulldozers.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those nitrates should not bother the corals.
If it's a rapid incline and decline then maybe but otherwise there are beautiful SPS tanks with 50ppm nitrates.
Long spine urchins work well with algae but they can be bulldozers.
I think my coral problems are from my nitrates going to 0ppm. They seem to do better when my nitrates are higher. But I do agree, stability is the key.

One reason I would like a wider tank is to be able to do urchins and starfish. My rockwork would cause problems for either of them in my current tank.

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look whos back in the saddle, look if you are ever discouraged just remeber..

Ive had/have bryopsis, ghost algea, hydroids, dinos.

So you can point and laugh.

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wish I had found it before I lost the last 10 or so SPS's. Hoping I can finally move forward.
Its ok ive ive dunked more $$ than that. STN is getting some of my sps and my params have not moved 5 months.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look whos back in the saddle, look if you are ever discouraged just remeber..

Ive had/have bryopsis, ghost algea, hydroids, dinos.

So you can point and laugh.
I'm far from discouraged. I'm actually very fascinated by it. I see it as more of a challenge and it has given me an appreciation at just how wondrous a natural reef is.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see it as more of a challenge and it has given me an appreciation at just how wondrous a natural reef is.

+1,000,000

My tank's in sore need of a refresh, but I still can't spend more than a few minutes on this, whether doing or reading, without finding something to be amazed about.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, on a positive note, it seems like things are stabilizing. Still have skimmer issues where it is hard to dial in. I'm choosing to skim wet right now and empty it daily. Less then ideal, but I'm ok with it. The best thing is that my remaining coral seem to be holding their own. Not thriving by any means, but no more RTN.
On a negative note, I've decided to tinker again. I decided to increase the flow through my sump so just installed a new Sicce return pump. That should bump me up for 2x tank volume to around 5x volume. I also just purchased a Kessil H380 Halo2. Can't believe I spent that much just to grow algae in my sump, but I did.
The end game with the increased flow and new light is to try and increase the bio diversity in my system by improving my in sump refugium. It seems like my pod population has really dropped in the last 2 months and I still can't grow chaeto. Hopefully, this will get my fuge back on track.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back