My Review of Orphek Atlantik V4 after 15 Months

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys/Gals help me decide what to do. Final offer from Orphek is I can purchase replacement LEDs and Lenses for a total of $146.60. Or I can purchase 2 new PCB with leds for $400 ant they will through in 32 free lenses and 4 new fans (can probably get them to do free shipping too). Just wondering what all your experiences have been with either replacing just the leds or replacing the PCBs. I would like to save $$$ for these already $$$ lights, however my time is also valuable. Does any one have any experience with longevity of the PCBs? I would hate to spend $400 just to have them blow again in 6months, and go through this process all over.
Clarify..
August or September of 2016 so about 2 1/2 years old. All LEDs on channel 2 have burnt out but still function. All the lenses are burnt.

3 1/2 years..........

you can easily re-populate the board w/ lenses and diodes for relatively cheap though like you said..time

With luck they are using more current diodes than 3 1/2 years or so ago..

Do the boards also contain the driver circuits? If so prob. worth it (scrap that one).. If not prob. not if you add your own sweat equity.
not even sure I'd use Orpheks diodes, just some sourced from other places. I assume they are the
"Bridgelux" type diodes that sell at 10/$1...well the evil bay ones..

You are sort of rebuilding to new 2 lights at $200 each..

Last option would be to test the waters about selling them "as is" to those who LIKE to do the work...and move on.

not like it's not going to take time even w/ a board replacement.. :) Oh and driver board is separate..so there is that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d do the whole PCB. Then you’ll have all new diodes with factory soldering. I’ve replaced some Led and replaced two boards. New boards have been good for six months or so.

How old are your lights? Are they an old version and that’s why they’re charging?

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d do the whole PCB. Then you’ll have all new diodes with factory soldering. I’ve replaced some Led and replaced two boards. New boards have been good for six months or so.

How old are your lights? Are they an old version and that’s why they’re charging?

Yes out or warranty. V3+ purchased early fall 2016 direct from Orphek.

PhilSD211

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soldering replacement diodes wasn't hard, just takes time. But it is annoying that I had to do it. I only asked for a hand full of blue range diodes so they shipped them to me free of charge with dozen lenses also free. I'm surprised they are asking for $150 for diodes for your two lights... with that many to replace... I'd go with replacement of the PCB to get all new diodes and factory soldering like sawdonkey said. Less risk of you getting sent the wrong nm diodes like they did me. or if you can source quality diodes elsewhere.

If you do go with soldering on your own, make sure to get some thermal paste.

Cdeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have experience with the two UV diodes that you supposedly can't see? I purchased a "new," open box Atlantik.

currently in the process of returning since it seems as two diodes are bad and I cancelled a purchase of a compact ordered on Friday. I played with the light for my new build for a few hours yesterday and feel like I should get out while I can, after digging around in these reviews.

I really want to love this light. Opinions?

IMG_20200315_175727.jpg

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights are still functioning just fine and my livestock doesn’t seem to mind the blown diodes. I gotta say the replacement and upgrade Instructions seem straight forward and easy. So there is that.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but has orphek since fixed their issue with the faulty diode (version 2). I emailed them to ask if they have, which they said they did, but wanted to get some first hand reviews as to whether the product is still faulty or not

Cdeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but has orphek since fixed their issue with the faulty diode (version 2). I emailed them to ask if they have, which they said they did, but wanted to get some first hand reviews as to whether the product is still faulty or not
Mine was the newest version, sending it back. Going to try my original plan for illumagic. Too expensive to be having blown lights on the first time I plugged in, with too much history of issues from other customers

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I dont think so. I'm on my first board change out and I asked them if this was a new gen replacement board or the same thing that just broke. There was no reply.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got reply stating that they are upgraded and more powerful. Thats good news. I did not want to be putting in the same part as an exercise. Will see how it goes

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded from the last generation about 8 months ago with the latest diodes. Easy and no problems. These lights last forever and don't seem to fade like the kessils I use to have. Customer service is good, but there is a delay due to time zone differences.

saj01c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was so close to getting the V4. I’m not sure I want to deal with the hassles. Illumagic is looking better.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have experience with the two UV diodes that you supposedly can't see? I purchased a "new," open box Atlantik.

currently in the process of returning since it seems as two diodes are bad and I cancelled a purchase of a compact ordered on Friday. I played with the light for my new build for a few hours yesterday and feel like I should get out while I can, after digging around in these reviews.

I really want to love this light. Opinions?

IMG_20200315_175727.jpg
Looks pretty normal

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back