My salt mix has higher DKH than my tank...How do folks deal with that?

RussC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use RedSea Coral Pro salt. Coral pro salt mixes to a DKH of 11.8. Not really where I want my tank to run. I run my tank as close to 9 DKH as possible. Tank seems very happy at that level. My system water volume is about 100 gallons. Every two weeks I do a 20 gallon water change and that 11.8 new water jumps my DKH up about .6-.8 DKH. Over the course of the next two weeks it will gradually drop back to about 9 +/1. But then its time for a water change and the cycle repeats.

I've been really focused on dialing in my alkalinity with my dosing pump to get a very steady DKH and have gotten pretty darn close. But every two weeks when I make a new batch of water it changes. Anyone have this issue? Any suggestions?

Sitting here typing this something occurred to me. What about a 10 gallon water change every two weeks. In theory that should cut the increase in DKH in half. Less impact. Closer to consistent. I really would prefer to stay away from a weekly water change schedule.

I had a minute, thought I'd zap this to the world and just see what folks thought. Feecback? Thoughts?

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muriatic acid, or Seachem Acid buffer does the same thing. They will lower alkalinity without affecting anything else.

Edit - I should clarify they will reduce pH temporarily until the water circulates enough to rid of excess CO2 and bring it back up

Last edited:
OP
OP
RussC

RussC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually played around with muriatic acid in a new batch of water to see how that works. It works! It does increase PH so its necessary to aerate the water to remove the CO2. I didnt have a PH measure so I couldn't tell when enough aeration was enough. But that does work.

I was just looking at the RED SEA salt instead of the Coral Pro Salt. Its parameters are all just a little lower than the Pro salt. It has a DKH of 7.8-8.2. That might be an option.

Anyone changed salt before? How does a tank respond?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually played around with muriatic acid in a new batch of water to see how that works. It works! It does increase PH ...

It decreases pH, by a huge margin. I use Instant Ocean which typically mixes about 10.7 dKh for me. 3ml of muriatic acid drops 5g of fresh mixed water to approx 7.1-7.4 dKh (think it brought Reef Crystals to 8.0 IIRC but I haven't used it in quite a while). I typically let it mix/aerate for about 18 hours prior to use and it's fine at that point (levels off to match the pH of the tank but it may happen sooner). I don't consider switching salts due to a single parameter a best way of accomplishing anything, especially when Instant Ocean is dirt cheap and works perfectly well.

Last edited:

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually played around with muriatic acid in a new batch of water to see how that works. It works! It does increase PH so its necessary to aerate the water to remove the CO2. I didnt have a PH measure so I couldn't tell when enough aeration was enough. But that does work.

I was just looking at the RED SEA salt instead of the Coral Pro Salt. Its parameters are all just a little lower than the Pro salt. It has a DKH of 7.8-8.2. That might be an option.

Anyone changed salt before? How does a tank respond?

I wouldn't be overly concerned because they are the same brand.

However, H2Ocean sounds like a good option for you, it is made in the Red Sea plant to D&D's specs and basically mixes up between the two Red Sea mixes.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, muriatic acid will lower alkalinity but as noted above you have to allow enough time for the pH to recover. I use it in my salt water pool to reduce alkalinity if I over shoot my dosing.

To me that seems like a real pain that isn't necessary. Just pick a salt mix that's really close to where you want to run your tank and you can do as large of water changes as needed in an emergency and do it fast.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's wrong with an 11.8 dKH on new SW? It will only get lower as you form calcium carbonate.

Imo, yes my opinion....you're just stuck with a # in your head.

For example, I'm "suppose" to be running at a min 89octane in my 08 Maxima....11yrs later running it on 87octance? ZERO problems....Look at all the $$$$$ I saved not spending 10cents more a gallon.

Doing some quick math and if I use 2500 gallons a years, that's $250 a year savings....times 11yrs =$2,750 in savings.

So if were like, "I gotta use 89octane!!!!" I'd be $2750 poorer

Sometimes things are just a # in your head

Just sayin'

Last edited:

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how much you’re dosing but you could always kill the dosing pump the day before the water change and let the new salt mix make up that difference.

I also switched from coral pro to blue bucket without issue.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's wrong with an 11.8 dKH on new SW? It will only get lower as you form calcium carbonate.

For example, I'm "suppose" to be running at a min 89octane in my 08 Maxima....11yrs later running it on 87octance? ZERO problems.

So look at all the $$$$$ I saved not spending 10cents more a gallon.

Just sayin'

For less demanding corals it probably is just as you say, no big deal. For SPS, stability is very important....maybe the most important thing. We're not chasing a number we're looking for stability. If your salt mix has a dKh of 11.8 and you keep your tank at 8.0 as I do that would be a problem with a sizable water change. I'm assuming that's the concern of the OP.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For example, I'm "suppose" to be running at a min 89octane in my 08 Maxima....11yrs later running it on 87octance? ZERO problems....Look at all the $$$$$ I saved not spending 10cents more a gallon.

Doing some quick math and if I use 2500 gallons a years, that's $250 a year savings....times 11yrs =$2,750 in savings.

So if were like, "I gotta use 89octane!!!!" I'd be $2750 poorer

Just sayin'

89 octane fuel also burns slower than 87 octane so you get more miles per gallon on 89; you really don't know if you saved or lost money...

Back on topic, if stability is desired, starting high and letting it drift down isn't a very good solution. With that said and depending on the size of the water change, it likely wont increase more than about .5 dKh which is largely, insignificant.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change salts
Auto water changes
Muratic acid on nsw

I prefer auto water changes (150 doses per day) with a slightly elevated alkalinity salt.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let the mixing bin mix with use of pump for couple days alk will drop. Monitor alk daily till its within range stop all pumps and mixing and leave it sitting still.
Thats if you dont want to switch salts.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use RedSea Coral Pro salt. Coral pro salt mixes to a DKH of 11.8. Not really where I want my tank to run. I run my tank as close to 9 DKH as possible. Tank seems very happy at that level. My system water volume is about 100 gallons. Every two weeks I do a 20 gallon water change and that 11.8 new water jumps my DKH up about .6-.8 DKH. Over the course of the next two weeks it will gradually drop back to about 9 +/1. But then its time for a water change and the cycle repeats.

I've been really focused on dialing in my alkalinity with my dosing pump to get a very steady DKH and have gotten pretty darn close. But every two weeks when I make a new batch of water it changes. Anyone have this issue? Any suggestions?

Sitting here typing this something occurred to me. What about a 10 gallon water change every two weeks. In theory that should cut the increase in DKH in half. Less impact. Closer to consistent. I really would prefer to stay away from a weekly water change schedule.

I had a minute, thought I'd zap this to the world and just see what folks thought. Feecback? Thoughts?

Easy answer, switch to a salt mix that has the level of alk you want; that is what I did. I use LiveAquaria salt now because I want to keep my alk around 7-8 dkh. Salt mixes extremely well, but I hate the box they ship it it. I might give Fritz a try next just to compare (still contemplating because haven't had any issues with the LA salt).

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. That's the other point in favour of mixing. I ended up with 1 part RS to 3 parts Ocean. Haven't had to do that for quite a while though as I now use local ocean water and just add the missing salt.

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just get the regular Red Sea salt. It’s perfect!

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on my first bucket of the Pro Formula Aquarium Natural Base Salt D-D H2Ocean Magnesium Pro PLUS Salt Mix.. I get perfect parameters after doing am automatic water change
After WATER CHANGE MY ALK is right around 9dKH

s-l1600.png

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back