My Salt Water Journey!

Cossamaximus

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 23, 2024
Messages
4
Reaction score
22
Location
Hawarden, Flintshire
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day everyone,

I want to introduce to you all my Red Sea Max Nano G2 XL salt water tank. You may just simply look at it, follow with interest for updates, and please give me your honest opinions.

My setup is only running a Red Sea NanoMat currently, and some Red Sea carbon just before the return pump.

I have also just put some Chaeto Algae in the rear, where the skimmer should go, but currently, it just simply sank to the bottom and isn't moving, I thought Chaeto Algae floated? I have small 6 Watt LED in the back on reverse lighting cycle to the main display.

Other than these methods of filtration, I run a 24 hour a day continuous water change, which is 3.16 litres a day, just over 2.5% of the systems volume.

There are a few issues I have currently with this setup! One being the fresh salt water storage is only 55 litre blue drum, it looks ugly and every 15 days I need to fill it up. I want to upgrade this to a 110 Litre Dosing Container or a square water storage container to blend in next to the tank, and only fill it once a month! And, the other problem I have is the water in my system is from my local fish shop, and the salt mix isn't where I want it. They use TMC Reef Salt Pro, which is good salt, but they don't keep the salinity consistent at all, one week Its 1.025 the next its 1.022. I could just add additional salt I suppose, but if I'm going to faff about doing that, I may as well produce my own water and mix it myself. But I don't have the facilities yet.

Regardless here are some pictures.
Front-View.jpg

Panel.jpg

Coarl-4.jpg

Coarl-3.jpg

Coarl-2.jpg

Coarl-1.jpg


This is a video (crap quality) of the flow in my tank, not great but the coral can be seen moving.

I have two Clown fish, a Goby, Wrasse, Blenny and that is all my fish I intend to keep in this sized tank.
I do have a clean up crew, a conch, a bunch of zombie snails, astraea snails, bubble be snails, hermit crabs, probably all dead, I had 8, but never seem to see more than 2/3 at a time. I also have a pistol shrimp and a cleaner shrimp .
The tank is new, its only in its third month, it fully cycled, before I introduce my livestock, then it had like a second cycle as algae started to appear then that went away...and my levels in regards to Nitrate have always been low, below 10ppm, with zero nitrite and ammonia.

currently, I'm suffering with cloudy glass, especially the sides, its clearly algae, because under frag rack its clear glass, since no light can get to it there. But I'm like cleaning it daily, sometimes more than once, its green/brown in colour and well annoying!
For flow I use the return pump mainly for surface agitation, and the Reefwave 25 for flow.

Im really annoyed with myself because even though the scape looks good, to me anyway, there is so many nooks and crannies that there is no way of keeping certain impossible to reach areas clear from accumulated food and fish waste.

If I up the flow I will have a sand storm, I have the Reefwave in the back corner the opposite side from the return nozzle, with the bottom gyre going along the back wall, and the top gyre heading diagonally towards the from of the tank.

It causes good flow, but doesn't reach everywhere, and if I turn it up so it creates more flow and chaos, it simply makes the fine sand whirl up into a mess and blows it all around the place.
So bottom line is, I still have work to do...and just need some insight as to whether or not what I am experiencing with my glass is normal or not, for a new tank? And should I worry it means something else, or just let it go the course.

Only time will tell I suppose. Thank you all for your time.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 1 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new