My scape, and seeking advice for coral planning!

sporeefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 60g cube, with a AI Hydra 26 over the top. Pretty happy with my first rock work! It’s got a good sized cave below and two other swim-throughs. The rock structure is pretty tall, and I’ve got decent surfaces at the top, the middle, and some lower ones... I’m hoping you can kind of tell where the light is strongest from the photo. The rounded rock bottom right is an island.

Any thoughts on how to plan coral types and placement? I’m going to start buying some soon, and I’m scared of the permanence of glue!!
What would you do? Im partial to colorful torches, rock flower anemones, zoas... acros but I’m a little intimidated by them.. looking for ideas and guiding principles!

Thanks all!

3CE6B58A-CD81-4E8A-A613-D48B8377E884.jpeg

OP
OP
S

sporeefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I also really like it. Hits all the Rules of 1/3's as well!

Nice work

glad to hear it! I was trying to make it look good from several angles that we can see it from. I don’t think I could do so well a second time! Really happy with it.

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an excerpt from the initial sticky thread for this forum that I've found helpful. Thinking about combining colors can help create real beauty in our tanks.

Once you have your aquascape done, then what? The rock work needs to have flow and correct composition of color introduced. Coral placement is just as important, if not more important then rock work. You need to throw the viewers eye where you want it. One big thing to remember is you do not want a group of green, a group of red and, a group of blue. You have to pretend you cannot touch the same color together. If you have two red coral then place one of the far left and on on the right. The trick is to throw the color throughout the tank. That is one rule for contrast and composition. One thing also is keep in mind where you want the viewers eye to gravitate. Keep that coral more alone and make sure to not have it clash with other colors. Having a bright red coral, surrounded by blue coral will make that coral pop and draw your eye to it. If you want to get very technical as if you were painting you can look at a color wheel.

486465_thumbnail_zps82149a23.jpg

L

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back