My snail survived from 2 weeks cycle new tank. Can i add livestock?

Romadov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, i just started reef tank 2 weeks ago and still cycling untill now, im using live sand from caribsea and liferock from LFS, and suddenly 1 snail appears in my tank in 1st day cycling, im pretry sure it came from the live rock, im worried it wouldnt survived but i have no choice to put it in my 1st day cycling tank, and its still survived untill now (2 weeks later. So does that mean im able to put another snail/hermit crab? Or maybe i can already put some fish?

OP
OP
R

Romadov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and my tank just started brown algae bloom from 4 days ago
Hey all, i just started reef tank 2 weeks ago and still cycling untill now, im using live sand from caribsea and liferock from LFS, and suddenly 1 snail appears in my tank in 1st day cycling, im pretry sure it came from the live rock, im worried it wouldnt survived but i have no choice to put it in my 1st day cycling tank, and its still survived untill now (2 weeks later. So does that mean im able to put another snail/hermit crab? Or maybe i can already put some fish?
Oh and now my tank got brown algae blooms, its started since 5 days ago

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
test your water If its 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite after dosing food or ammonia you should be ready (do a water change first to remove nitrates)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your cycle was never needed, any rock with snails is this kind

never dose ammonia with animals present because it’s not needed, the animals that rode in are the proof it’s cycled.

If you want to dose with ammonia using seneye to track oxidation rates using a careful amount, that’s a different approach and end goal, not for this thread.

post pics of your tank so we can add it there and help cyclers see which ones are skip cycles and which ones aren’t. The old cycling rules don’t teach this distinction that’s why skip cycling isn’t popular

life rock is typically dry, but apparently not always if it brought in hitchhikers and produced benthic cues this fast. Dry rock systems don’t do that, and need cycling.

In nearly every case a pet store will sell you bottled bacteria along with this kind of rock, and that's a complete rip off but the truth is even the LFS doesnt understand the difference, the only place you can get training on skip cycling is at reef2reef, they'd have to hang out here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Romadov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your cycle was never needed, any rock with snails is this kind

never dose ammonia with animals present because it’s not needed, the animals that rode in are the proof it’s cycled.

If you want to dose with ammonia using seneye to track oxidation rates using a careful amount, that’s a different approach and end goal, not for this thread.

post pics of your tank so we can add it there and help cyclers see which ones are skip cycles and which ones aren’t. The old cycling rules don’t teach this distinction that’s why skip cycling isn’t popular

life rock is typically dry, but apparently not always if it brought in hitchhikers and produced benthic cues this fast. Dry rock systems don’t do that, and need cycling.

In nearly every case a pet store will sell you bottled bacteria along with this kind of rock, and that's a complete rip off but the truth is even the LFS doesnt understand the difference, the only place you can get training on skip cycling is at reef2reef, they'd have to hang out here.
Thankyou for the answer! Im grateful there is long explanation for this, i've read the thread that you gave. About my tank, here is the pic of it and the snail
20211027_210611.jpg

Attachments

• 20211027_210625.jpg
    20211027_210625.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 68

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 100% cycled! thanks tons for updates for sure nice to meet you

B

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey curious if the LFS sold bottle bac too with those rocks, or just the wet rocks

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its cycled for a snail. lol. Its not cycled for 10 tangs

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt put ten tangs in that tank regardless

specifically, its as cycled as it can be. There isn't room to fit more bacteria. your limitation was made up, and comes from zero linkable work threads showing a shortage on ability using seneye or any other means.

again you hinted at a consequence

but my link of similar tanks was consequence free. we put no limit on initial stocking.

he doesnt get more fish carry ability by waiting, he gets the strongest fish carry ability by handling fish disease deftly

the biofilter is not to be assessed as lacking, its to be assessed as hey: we have ten years of data on such rocks. the fish disease forum has about that much on emergence trends, you should care greatly about fallow and qt here.

The reason its important to state risks accurately is because if someone listened to your hint and worried, they may buy more of this same ready rock thinking more= better fish carry, focusing on biofilter limitation vs disease preps, but this tank is simply ready. that's enough surface area for any bioload it will ever see.

the disease prep is now handled independently from the cycle, and needs to be stated as the procedural worry.

there aren’t any losses in the above sample set, we don’t get occasionally caught failing on seneye

there isn’t a loss continuum we are on so I can’t find any way this skip cycle was limited. The wait time afforded that allows those rocks to commute living slicks down into layers of the sandbed is a fine visual for seeing how filter bacteria were driven down into the pores of all surfaces.

so, this is a skip cycle plus wait. Double development time

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For safety - read this and follow the advises if you are adding fish. Brandon have no clue if your nitrification cycle is completed or not. You can´t see that on rock or tanks whatever he says. There is science and there is mumbo-jumbo. He has no idea of what he talking about.

His new cycling science is news - fake news

Sincerely Lasse

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe true that it was cycled for small things. From experience I can say this type snail is sensitive. However most will tell you be careful with live rock. If rock came from short trip to Lfs its not likely a big problem. If you had this rock shipped to you taking over night or a few days. You should plan to wait to add things because sometimes these rock will die a little bit. Then you could possibly run into ammonia issue.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is no different cycle for large vs small bioload that’s false

If you think it won't carry a typical fish load then you'd advise to add more cured rock, you wouldn't advise to add or buy more bacteria or add wait time time rocks that cost more than unready rocks. When is the last time you saw any reef using that much rock not carry fish?

this thread is about to get off the rails possibly
Romadov you can see we got this and hogtied it already

ur cycle is squealing on its back in the middle of the rodeo arena we have already exited and are having a meal

We left a manual of a hundred other tied hogs on the table on the way out.

all reading on further action for this reef should come from the fish disease forum.

Last edited:

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

this thread is about to get off the rails lol but we see above what’s really going on.
In other thread you direct people here. What did you think people do? Also yes there is a difference any one with a tank bigger than a jar with fish will tell you that.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldnt put ten tangs in that tank regardless

specifically, its as cycled as it can be. There isn't room to fit more bacteria. your limitation was made up, and comes from zero linkable work threads showing a shortage on ability using seneye or any other means.

again you hinted at a consequence

but my link of similar tanks was consequence free. we put no limit on initial stocking.

he doesnt get more fish carry ability by waiting, he gets the strongest fish carry ability by handling fish disease deftly

the biofilter is not to be assessed as lacking, its to be assessed as hey: we have ten years of data on such rocks. the fish disease forum has about that much on emergence trends, you should care greatly about fallow and qt here.

The reason its important to state risks accurately is because if someone listened to your hint and worried, they may buy more of this same ready rock thinking more= better fish carry, focusing on biofilter limitation vs disease preps, but this tank is simply ready. that's enough surface area for any bioload it will ever see.

the disease prep is now handled independently from the cycle, and needs to be stated as the procedural worry.

there aren’t any losses in the above sample set, we don’t get occasionally caught failing on seneye

there isn’t a loss continuum we are on so I can’t find any way this skip cycle was limited. The wait time afforded that allows those rocks to commute living slicks down into layers of the sandbed is a fine visual for seeing how filter bacteria were driven down into the pores of all surfaces.

so, this is a skip cycle plus wait. Double development time
Get with the program Brandon. Obviously - I wasn't suggesting putting 10 tangs in the tank. Come on. Correct me if I'm wrong;

Your opinion is that after xx days - despite the ammonia fed to the system (via shrimp, chemicals, etc). that the rock is entirely covered - and Is cycled. Right? Note - I didn't define xx days - for a reason..

True or false?

If so - what happens when a higher bioload is added than the system can process? imho - as the SCIENCE - as compared to your opinion - Ammonia is a limiting factor for ammonia oxidizing bacteria. Why are you fighting science?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

this thread is about to get off the rails lol the no matching direct example rails but we see above what’s really going on. Romadov you can see we got this and hogtied it already

ur cycle is squealing on its back in the middle of the rodeo arena and some from the sidelines don’t like how we tied it and left for steaks already out of the center ad they decide whether the tied hog is indeed tied. We left a manual of a hundred other tied hogs on the table on the way out.

watch how far from left field the new concerns pour in.
Says the one that do not even have fish in his system. It is not we that derail this thread - you have done that with your fake news and give advise that could be (i´m not saying they are - but could be) dangerous for OP´s livestock. I have not the information needed to say if this system have a complete nitrification cycle or not. and neither the capacity of it. You can´t see that on rocks that you do not know the history of and without measurements. But if the OP follow the advises in my 15 steps - I know that it will be no danger for his livestock. And it not based on "working threads" but of real experiences after started thousands of aquarium during my lifetime. With fish!!!

Sincerely Lasse

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe @brandon429 is incorrect. Look at tide pools. They allow organisms to survive in direct sunlight - where the temperature probably increases by 5 degrees C - at minimum - at high sun levels. - with no flow, yet the snails, barnacles (even with no water) survive). Does @brandon429 not realize that ammonia increases in tide pools? Does anyone not realize this? Does anyone think some animals can tolerate more ammonia than others? Snails, crabs, etc - are very insensitive to many changes - so IMHO - anyone suggesting that a snail surviving in a tank - means anything about a 'cycle' is either not paying attention - or misguided

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Says the one that do not even have fish in his system. It is not we that derail this thread - you have done that with your fake news and give advise that could be (i´m not saying they are - but could be) dangerous for OP´s livestock. I have not the information needed to say if this system have a complete nitrification cycle or not. and neither the capacity of it. You can´t see that on rocks that you do not know the history of and without measurements. But if the OP follow the advises in my 15 steps - I know that it will be no danger for his livestock. And it not based on "working threads" but of real experiences after started thousands of aquarium during my lifetime.

Sincerely Lasse
Of course - my experience and your experience - are also 'work threads' - though they may not mimic the requirements of others. But - experience to me equals 'work threads'. Thats all it is. IMHO

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back