My sole, single striped cleaner has eggs...how?

shootingstar_reef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 27, 2020
Messages
392
Reaction score
535
Location
Los Angeles (SFV)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My scarlet cleaner (L. amboinensis) who has been the sole representative of their species in my aquarium, is now gravid. It just molted so my conclusion is....it self-fertilized? Is that common? Obviously I can't care for the young (or can I.....) but I thought these shrimps don't self-fertilize; or do they?
 
How long have you had it? It must've mated with another shrimp in the previous tank it was in.
 
Here's an answer I found on Reef Central:

There has been some talk of cleaners being able to store sperm for up to several months. They only attach eggs immediately after a molt, so it may be possible that your single cleaner has not molted since the other shrimp disappeared, and only now used "stored" sperm.

The answer will be evident if this keeps happening (ie, then the source of the sperm would have to be something else).

Kevin


Makes sense, because yours just molted!
 
oh that sounds more plausible!

except, this is its second molt since I've had it. Would it last through ~two molts? maybe, I guess....
I guess so, Kevin said several months.

I can tell you they don't self-fertilize, or there would be no point in mated pairs!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new