My speculation: Vibrant has some fluconazole in it...

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about this and some have asked UWC to comment. Why would anybody want this? To this point, they have not been able to be honest so what makes anybody think that they will be now. I expect them to comment eventually but try and spin the narrative still towards some magical bacteria and poo-poo away the quat as a preservative or some other inert ingredient... or something else that is not totally honest. I want nothing more for them to just shut up and/or just be completely honest, so their lack of posting is fine with me and probably very smart, but if they do post, I sure hope that they know that the benefit of the doubt that they got from many in the past is gone now. Someday, the EPA might come knocking about their lack of warning label and true-to-use instructions, so they should prepare for this and act accordingly like they will not be able to fool the masses anymore.

I have a few friends who have used AlgaeFix without any issues - mostly for hair in dry/dead rock tank starts. However, this product is labeled correctly and nobody probably has gotten the inclination to use too much of it like they would a true bacteria product which generally does not have consequences for doing so. Small sample size, for sure...

Maybe a generic question for Dr. Holmes-Farley about the stability of QACs in saltwater, lifespan and whether they could be absorbed by GAC or attached to bubbles and skimmed out. Doubt that he will want to get into all of this with this context, but he might respond to questions about just the compound. Probably safe to just ask about polyquat if somebody wants to start a thread, or I might in a little bit when I get some time. Edit: I just started a thread in the Chem forum, so we will see if anybody has answers.
I want them to comment so they can dig their hole deeper. I’m guessing they have been instructed to shut up by their lawyer lol.
It’s marketed as bacterial but if you look at the actual product it doesn’t say anything about it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's odd to describe the ingredients precisely in another venue and not describe exactly one of those ingredients on the actual product label. But speculating why that might've been done is probably not a productive road.
Regardless, there's no description of ingredients in Vibrant in any forum or venue that could account for the apparent detection of quat. It is surprising.

Much more accurate to describe this data from dilutions as showing that the polyquat in AlgaeFix is above 300x (but below 1000x) the limit of detection for this bromophenol blue test.
And similarly, the detected chemical in Vibrant is also above 300x (but below 1000x) the limit of detection for this test.

Like what? What have you seen to base that on? What else might be in a bacterial product that generates that purple to blue change?

Except the huge vibrant thread is full of people dosing every 3 days ("2x per week") including this being recommended by UWC in many cases.
check these search results for about ~150+ examples.

The universe is big and has many chemicals. :)
The far more relevant question is the much narrower one:
What is in vibrant that gets detected as an algacide, in amounts roughly similar to the algacide in Algaefix, and is not found in any of the dozen other bacterial products that have been checked.
It is not up to me to research and 'prove' that your conclusions are correct. It's up to you to convince the rest of us. IMHO - Go ahead - defend your results. Prove - that the only thing that can change bromphenol blue from blue to purple is QAC - then on top of that go ahead and prove that No bacteria is in vibrant. LOL - you're making wild claims - with no proof. I told you the microbiologic way to do it - so go ahead - do it. But - your experiment here - is conjecture - based on what 'could be' - and you may very well be right - but I'm not going to waste my time figuring out how your experiments do not show that the big bad bogey-man aquarium product salesman is 'lying'. You can go ahead - keep doing it. There are numerous reasons - already said - that suggest there is more to vibrant than a 'QAC'. Stop quoting your bromphenol blue experiment and respond to the other comments?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want them to comment so they can dig their hole deeper. I’m guessing they have been instructed to shut up by their lawyer lol.
It’s marketed as bacterial but if you look at the actual product it doesn’t say anything about it.
Really? According to my reading of the ingredients - it says:

Vibrant Ingredients -

95% Cultured Bacteria Blend
1% Amino Acids (Aspartic Acid)
0.5% Vinegar
3.5% RO/DI Water

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? According to my reading of the ingredients - it says:

Vibrant Ingredients -

95% Cultured Bacteria Blend
1% Amino Acids (Aspartic Acid)
0.5% Vinegar
3.5% RO/DI Water
Where do you see that? The bottle I just bought is 3.5 percent other or do you mean the cultured blend part of it? It is not mentioned anywhere else and cultured bacteria blend could be anything hell it could be just tank water.

Last edited:

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not up to me to research and 'prove' that your conclusions are correct. It's up to you to convince the rest of us. IMHO - Go ahead - defend your results. Prove - that the only thing that can change bromphenol blue from blue to purple is QAC - then on top of that go ahead and prove that No bacteria is in vibrant. LOL - you're making wild claims - with no proof. I told you the microbiologic way to do it - so go ahead - do it. But - your experiment here - is conjecture - based on what 'could be' - and you may very well be right - but I'm not going to waste my time figuring out how your experiments do not show that the big bad bogey-man aquarium product salesman is 'lying'. You can go ahead - keep doing it. There are numerous reasons - already said - that suggest there is more to vibrant than a 'QAC'. Stop quoting your bromphenol blue experiment and respond to the other comments?

You know what is a lot easier and would put an end to all of this? Is if @UWC would just "prove" that @taricha conclusions are incorrect. Because as of right now @taricha conclusions look pretty valid and all I hear so far is crickets from the company.

I lost thousands of dollars in Acros a year ago because of Vibrant and would love to know what's in it to cause that. I have used many "bacteria" supplements and never had a single issue from using them except for when I used Vibrant.

20210122_001551.jpg

I received a message from the company this morning and they said they will explain whats in it. I hope this is the case. Not just for what happened to me, but for anyone else in the future that wants to dose it in an Acropora dominate system.

Last edited:

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as I said before....
... Nobody is claiming "proof" and to be clear, I'm not aiming to prove anything. I have neither the skill nor the resources to produce a complicated chemical out of a mix, and point to it to say "there it is" with any real certainty.

People use vibrant, it kills algae, but nobody knows how. ("bacteria" is not an answer :p )

So the question is really "What is the likely mechanism for vibrant to kill algae? And how should we use vibrant based on that?"
The detection of something that looks a lot like an algacide, and in amounts that look similar to a known effective algacide, and the complete absence of any similar detected chemical in any bacterial product points us to a pretty clear answer for how vibrant is most likely to work at killing algae.

Vibrant may indeed contain viable bacteria (my first post in this thread was data supporting exactly that position ) , and carbon sources and various other interesting things. They wouldn't be relevant if it also has an algaecide.

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cell density must be extremely low (assuming bacteria/spores are present) if you centrifuged and there was no mass at the bottom of the tubes. Just curious - was centrifuged liquid uniformly transparent? Did you examine any of the liquid from the tube bottoms under magnification? What was your sterilization regime like? Hmmm.... I have a bottle of vibrant that has been sitting very still for over a year... might try to suction some material off of the bottom and throw it under the scope...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where do you see that? The bottle I just bought is 3.5 percent other or do you mean the cultured blend part of it? It is not mentioned anywhere else and cultured bacteria blend could be anything hell it could be just tank water.
It’s posted on their website. I copied and pasted it directly

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 3.5% varies from source to source between Other and RODI water. Nobody should be surprised at the inconsistency.

Let me save you all the suspense leave this to ponder... some magical bacteria that nobody else knows about that can live in a bottle with a quat forever without an expiration date nor refrigeration that does not reproduce in saltwater and has to be continuously dosed that eats algae and only algae that cannot be found in a bottle even after being spun down and yet you have to culture it to see it. Culturing a bacteria that cannot reproduce in seawater seems dumb enough without the rest of it. Looks like the "does not reproduce in saltwater" has been edited, but I have seen it many times too when people have asked why it has to be added more than once unlike other bacterial supplements.

I suppose that they could also be lying about saltwater being in the bottle, but if it is RODI and some OC, then don't forget how potent of bacteriacide that quat is in freshwater.

Lastly, factor in that nearly nothing that they said has been true, yet people want to throw out the work and science and give them the benefit of the doubt? What should be happening is a complete condemnation of their actions until they show otherwise since what was done on this thread has been more transparent than anything that UWC has ever done to my knowledge.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You know what is a lot easier and would put an end to all of this? Is if @UWC would just "prove" that @taricha conclusions are incorrect. Because as of right now @taricha conclusions look pretty valid and all I hear so far is crickets from the company.

I lost thousands of dollars in Acros a year ago because of Vibrant and would love to know what's in it to cause that. I have used many "bacteria" supplements and never had a single issue from using them except for when I used Vibrant.

20210122_001551.jpg

I received a message from the company this morning and they said they will explain whats in it. I hope this is the case. Not just for what happened to me, but for anyone else in the future that wants to dose it in an Acropora dominate system.
Great. What was the question you asked?
Yeah what the website says and what the bottles say do not match up.
You probably missed it - this was discussed at length a couple pages ago. In any case - there is no EPA paperwork that I can find that suggests Vibrant has QAC (at least in the concentration of algaefix (but its available for algaefix and multiple other products)) - no where on the bottle does it say there is a QAC in vibrant. On the website - it clearly states 3.5% RODI water.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The 3.5% varies from source to source between Other and RODI water. Nobody should be surprised at the inconsistency.

Let me save you all the suspense leave this to ponder... some magical bacteria that nobody else knows about that can live in a bottle with a quat forever without an expiration date nor refrigeration that does not reproduce in saltwater and has to be continuously dosed that eats algae and only algae that cannot be found in a bottle even after being spun down and yet you have to culture it to see it. Culturing a bacteria that cannot reproduce in seawater seems dumb enough without the rest of it. Looks like the "does not reproduce in saltwater" has been edited, but I have seen it many times too when people have asked why it has to be added more than once unlike other bacterial supplements.

I suppose that they could also be lying about saltwater being in the bottle, but if it is RODI and some OC, then don't forget how potent of bacteriacide that quat is in freshwater.

Lastly, factor in that nearly nothing that they said has been true, yet people want to throw out the work and science and give them the benefit of the doubt? What should be happening is a complete condemnation of their actions until they show otherwise since what was done on this thread has been more transparent than anything that UWC has ever done to my knowledge.
There are bacteria that can survive boiling water, live in Betadine antiseptic solution, etc. - 1. We don't even know the concentration (if any of QAC). 2. I believe that if this was present the company would be required to file with the EPA (the same as Algaefix does).

I guess in the end - who cares - so the bottle says other ingredients, and the website says 'RODI water'. Lets take the 'worst case scenario' - Vibrant contains QAC. So - to me the question is 'does it work plenty of people say it does - so - are they getting what they paid for? IDK.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
a few of points on this topic that I'll share.
Regarding the actual thread title/premise, if vibrant isn't known to be effective against bryopsis, then that sort of shoots that particular idea down.

1) I cultured up Vibrant multiple times. Two separate bottles - one never opened before. I used two different foods: first, with LB broth (bacterial growth medium) mixed to 1.026 s.g. Instant ocean. Then later with different amounts of sterilized fish flake, again in instant ocean. I did this to 7 different hobby products sold for grunge-eating or consuming organics etc. I wanted to know if there were live culturable bacteria in each product that could be grown in saltwater. The water had to be fed to make the growth for these products easily detectable, so in rich saltwater at least - all these products grow bacteria. Here's another chart (different bottle, different food source than the one UWC posted - same result.)
Bacterial growth.png

2) So if you are wondering if vibrant contains viable bacteria, it does. So do all the other products. Can they grow with just tank water, or do they need a big food source? Hard measurement to make. I think some need a lot of help.

3) is the bacteria I cultured up from vibrant relevant? no idea. I didn't take the cultured up stuff and put it on any algae etc. Could there be an algicide in it, in addition to the bacteria? no idea.

4) maybe the bacteria generate their own algicidal compounds. There are quite a few such bacteria.

5) "send it to aquabiomics" I did. kinda. I sent a combined pool of seven cultured up bacterial products to aquabiomics. No smoking guns for algae killers. Most were only identified to a genus. Reading info on the genera of the detected bacteria don't tell you what you are looking for in this case.

6) If what you want to know is if the chemical media in vibrant kills the algae or if it's the action of bacteria you added from vibrant, then what you need to do the test is these: 0.22um syringe filters.
compare how well the vibrant filtered of all bacteria does vs unfiltered at killing algae. I don't know how it'll go.
This is very interesting - I did not see it! Thanks for doing that experiment

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great. What was the question you asked?

You probably missed it - this was discussed at length a couple pages ago. In any case - there is no EPA paperwork that I can find that suggests Vibrant has QAC (at least in the concentration of algaefix (but its available for algaefix and multiple other products)) - no where on the bottle does it say there is a QAC in vibrant. On the website - it clearly states 3.5% RODI water.

I never asked a question. I stated a fact.

Curious, are you paid or sponsored by UWC? I am asking because you seem very defense against hobbyists just wanting to know what is in this concoction they are using.

Also, I think you answered your own question. We all know what the company, websites, forums, BRS videos, etc say is in it. The question is what else is in it that is not listed on the website and bottle. That is the mystery here isn't it. It seems other stuff is in the bottle that is not described and this, in turn, could cause issues with our tanks just like it did to mine.

Last edited:

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are bacteria that can survive boiling water, live in Betadine antiseptic solution, etc. - 1. We don't even know the concentration (if any of QAC). 2. I believe that if this was present the company would be required to file with the EPA (the same as Algaefix does).

I guess in the end - who cares - so the bottle says other ingredients, and the website says 'RODI water'. Lets take the 'worst case scenario' - Vibrant contains QAC. So - to me the question is 'does it work plenty of people say it does - so - are they getting what they paid for? IDK.

In the end who cares? That's your logic? WELL, I CARE! I would have never put QAC into my system had I known that.

You don't see the problem with a company promoting a safe bacteria solution that targets algae but in the end is really something else that could be very harmful to not just your tank, but to yourself as well if not dosed or handled properly?

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You asked a few pages back:
What I don't understand about this product - and multiple others in our 'hobby' - is how they get away with not supplying their ingredients.

Your last two posts are how. In the presence of nothing trustworthy from UWC, you are discounting some real science that was done, suggesting some extreme edge case false equivalencies and otherwise doing the dirty work for UWC. Why would they ever need to supply anything if people will blindly defend them and their business model/practices? I outlined how this would play out a few posts after this quote, but I guess that I never thought that it would be you who went right to script.

Along the lines of other false equivalencies, if you went in for a vasectomy and somebody chopped your pecker off instead, you got what you paid for by not being able to father children anymore, so who cares, right? Ordered a Corvette and got a Volt and both get you from point a to point b, so who cares, right? Go and find the Vibrant failure threads and ask them if they care. Ask them if they would have made a different decision if they had known.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I never asked a question. I stated a fact.

Curious, are you paid or sponsored by UWC? I am asking because you seem very defense against hobbyists just wanting to know what is in this concoction they are using.

Also, I think you answered your own question. We all know what the company, websites, forums, BRS videos, etc say is in it. The question is what else is in it that is not listed on the website and bottle. That is the mystery here isn't it. It seems other stuff is in the bottle that is not described and this, in turn, could cause issues with our tanks just like it did to mine.
No -
1. I have no affiliation with UWC.
2. Great - we all know
3. As to whats in the bottle - I already answered that. 1 - either a QAC or 2 - something that reacts with bromphenol blue - in the same manner.

And you're right - I am not taking sides. And you're also right - I have posted it at least 3-4 times here - I had a similar problem with SPS - but - I overdosed the vibrant - lost a couple large colonies. I can not explain it. In freshwater - it is a miracle product. has kept the tank algae free - despite no EDIT - RESDOSING - for months PS - I also am not sure I used the 'Reef Blend'. And - lastly - I would not be surprised to see some QAC in Vibrant - I only care that it works (I would - if I needed it) - use maybe 1/4 the dose for a couple weeks then increase - rather than the way I did it. FWIW

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You asked a few pages back:

Your last two posts are how. In the presence of nothing trustworthy from UWC, you are discounting some real science that was done, suggesting some extreme edge case false equivalencies and otherwise doing the dirty work for UWC. Why would they ever need to supply anything if people will blindly defend them and their business model/practices? I outlined how this would play out a few posts after this quote, but I guess that I never thought that it would be you who went right to script.

Along the lines of other false equivalencies, if you went in for a vasectomy and somebody chopped your pecker off instead, you got what you paid for by not being able to father children anymore, so who cares, right? Ordered a Corvette and got a Volt and both get you from point a to point b, so who cares, right? Go and find the Vibrant failure threads and ask them if they care. Ask them if they would have made a different decision if they had known.
EDITED - NO - the "real science" - that was posted by @taricha- was completely correct.. Though I wish (PM me) - I knew if he dried all of the specimens first

1. Something in vibrant reacts in the bromphenol blue test similar to Algaefix - which contains a QAC
2. Something else in vibrant reacts in the bromphenol blue test similar to Algaefix - which is not a QAC

Bromphenol blue to my knowledge is not a specific indicator per se. I do not know whether other compounds cause the purple to blue change? Neither does anyone else - unless they've taken the time to research it. BTW - you must not read my posts much - I had an issue with Vibrant - and complained on one of the threads. I - however - did increase the does more quickly than recommended.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cell density must be extremely low (assuming bacteria/spores are present) if you centrifuged and there was no mass at the bottom of the tubes. Just curious - was centrifuged liquid uniformly transparent? Did you examine any of the liquid from the tube bottoms under magnification? What was your sterilization regime like? Hmmm.... I have a bottle of vibrant that has been sitting very still for over a year... might try to suction some material off of the bottom and throw it under the scope...
I did not see the centrifugation experiments - but - I know - from direct culture experiments - depending on the bacteria - you can centrifuge a liter of cloudy fluid - and come back with a very small sized piece. Granted this was with E coli - which an extremely fast doubling time. I would suggest that we 'wait' for answers from the company..?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back