My Tang List

cimulation

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to add the following tangs to my 180g DT all at the same time. Do you think I'll have any issues?

Tomini Tang
Desjardini Tang
Yellow Tang
Orange Shoulder
Powder Brown

Also, should I add my wrasses first or the tangs first?

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it were me, i would add them all at the same time. less likely to be aggressive based on territory. also, i would have the lights off.

you never know what is going to happen - not all fish act the same. if there is aggression - i would think it would be in the first day or so and then die down.

also be cognizant of your additional bio-load that you'll have just added and monitor your nitrates and phosphates.

i have several tangs and a few wrasses (among other things). they fight once in a while, but mostly they live quite peacefully.

OP
OP
C

cimulation

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have thoughts on adding the 2 Acanthurus tangs in the same tank?

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
orange shoulder and sailfin both get over a foot which is a tight squeeze in a tank thats only 2ft front to back.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip the sailfin, for size reasons. I think the rest of the group will be fine.

I understand the concern for mixing 2 in the Acanthurus genus, but that genus is a bit of a catch-all, so I'm not sure how close those cousins are.

Add the tangs last. I would probably add the yellow and tomini, then the orange shoulder and powder together, rather than try to QT 4 tangs together.

Edit: @4FordFamily , any thoughts here?

OP
OP
C

cimulation

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip the sailfin, for size reasons. I think the rest of the group will be fine.

I understand the concern for mixing 2 in the Acanthurus genus, but that genus is a bit of a catch-all, so I'm not sure how close those cousins are.

Add the tangs last. I would probably add the yellow and tomini, then the orange shoulder and powder together, rather than try to QT 4 tangs together.

Edit: @4FordFamily , any thoughts here?
I could QT 5 tangs separately. That wouldn't be an issue. Any thoughts on what 5th tang would compliment the others nicely?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could QT 5 tangs separately. That wouldn't be an issue. Any thoughts on what 5th tang would compliment the others nicely?
Regal, maybe?
Or purple, scopas, black, or gem, or kole?
Or some type of foxface?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back