My Tank Cracked!

Abe K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I upgraded my 125 gallon Marineland setup to a 210 Aqueon back in May. As it was doing well until two Sunday’s ago when Leak detectors started going off. Long story short a crack on the back wall from about top center to lower left corner appeared. Was able to move livestock and fish to a friends tanks. The tank has been replaced under warranty. Tank has sand and rock in it anstarted the cycle process. My question is do bacteria’s like Stability or any of the others actually speed up the cycle process.

1E7C1DD5-E149-4707-B98E-451EE99A485B.jpeg FD383E40-D860-4622-B221-FCBF10A8C96C.jpeg AD70B80D-8829-4F13-B41D-9DFA3C7041B5.jpeg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they do help speed up full bacterial colonization and the ability of your tank to convert ammonia to the final nitrate, but if your live rock and sand stayed wet and warmed, you shouldn't need to.

Maybe you could trade your buddy a few rocks from his tank for some from yours if your rock was not maintained. That would also help speed it up.

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re you able to keep some of your rock and filter media in SW and then move it into the tank? Using existing media >>>> cycling aid products in my experience.

OP
OP
A

Abe K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately all I was able to do was put as much in buckets and the rest stayed in the sand bed. Tested water yesterday: Trace of nitrates and ammonia spiked.

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case short of it is that stability and other products do speed it up but not to a miraculous degree. I myself prefer stability to other products I can get at the LFS (there may be better ones available online that I have never used)

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea as to what might have caused the crack? Make sure that stand is perfectly level.

It sounds like your about done with your cycle but I've used Instant Ocean Bio Spira with great results in the past. Good luck with the new tank.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea as to what might have caused the crack? Make sure that stand is perfectly level. Good luck with the new tank.
This is a great point. Did you check for any issue with the stand? Finding a good straight edge that length can be difficult but could save another crack in the future

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Any idea as to what might have caused the crack? Make sure that stand is perfectly level.

It sounds like your about done with your cycle but I've used Instant Ocean Bio Spira with great results in the past. Good luck with the new tank.
Marineland has had an ongoing issue with silicone giving way and tank front seperating in whole and leak issues.

OP
OP
A

Abe K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The guy that installed it had two tanks from the same manufacturer crack after a couple of months. Manufacturer warranties the old tank. We are figuring a defect in the glass
The tank and stand are level.

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have it under control now... What do you use for an alarm system? Alarms were going off? Do share?
I don't have an alarm system? I have a camera on my tank and when I go away I check the camera.

OP
OP
A

Abe K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Home Security system offers leak detectors I have two in the stand

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now... remove everything get a new tank
Are you referring to the originally tank that cracked or are you suggesting the new tank provided under warranty should be replaced?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Get a new tank

The OP was asking about cycling their tank in the initial post. Your comment comes across as abrupt and is not particularly kind. Why are you saying that they should get a new tank to replace a brand new tank that was covered under warranty?

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP was asking about cycling their tank in the initial post. Your comment comes across as abrupt and is not particularly kind. Why are you saying that they should get a new tank to replace a brand new tank that was covered under warranty?
Ohhhh i read that severely wrong. My sincere apologies I just looked at the title and skimmed through it and saw short crack so I thought the tank broke. My bad

Last edited:
Back