My tank crashed im lost

Ara29998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I built a sump for my 30GL tank. I used to use canister. I bought a 20 Gl tank from petco and used GE 2 to silicon the baffles. To make hole in the tank I had to remove all my corals and fish in 3 buckets, the fish bucket was with wave make and heater for 24 hours. I put them all back when I washed my tank and pour new salt water immediately. In 2 days all my fish and corals and snails even Bristol worms died. Since then I change 5GL of the water with new water. Still water is messed up and still I find more dead worms. I need to start over. What should I do? I have big rock of Xoas left that I think they are still alive. My sump works but I turned off the Skimmer and add some bacteria. Help me im lost.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,sorry to hear ,first thought here ,turn skimmer back on,check params often,sounds like nitrate spike vs. ammonia spike,poss both,assuming you have live rock,would restart skimmer asap,best wishes

robdareefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude that sucks, you should never mix water and use it right away. Also I would have let the sump sit at least a couple days so the fresh silicone could gas off. It also could have been changing from water to water to fast and temps and chemistry not being the same. Either way sorry it happened. I would give Zoas away and start new. Again sorry man.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
how long did canister sit not running??

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
most likely killed off media if freshwater rinse,move forward,get skimmer started ,let sit for day or two then test see where your at,would use zoas as an indicator of water improvement ,would not hurt to put some ,chemipure or new carbon in sump for a few days,keep us posted

robdareefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not used the canister I used the sump but with canister media after I cleaned them.
If you used your media then I don’t think it was ammonia or NH3 so I think it was the chemistry being different from tank to bucket or bucket to tank or it was the silicone leaching something into the water. If it was me I would just start over. Sounds like there’s a lot of dead things in you tank and you probably will end up having more problems in the long run.

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with all of the post above, start over, and take it slow, any fast changes are a Recipe for disaster. Would probably help to get some Dr. Tim’s live bacteria.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 above. How long did you let the silicone dry for?

If it is not fully cured, it is very toxic.

Why were your fish and corals in a bucket for 24 hours? It should only take a few hours to drill and plumb a tank. Something isn't making sense to me.

Last edited:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly Type II needs to cure longer than Type I, which I'd why Type I is preferred. Also check for mold inhibitors.

OP
OP
A

Ara29998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is the silicone was not fully cured. How long did you let it cure before using it? I would have waited a week myself. If not I would drain it and let it air cure.
Only 24 hours

OP
OP
A

Ara29998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 above. How long did you let the silicone dry for?

If it is not fully cured, it is very toxic.

Why were your fish and corals in a bucket for 24 hours? It should only take a few hours to drill and plumb a tank. Something isn't making sense to me.
After drilling to put the overflow box i also used silicon around it to make sure I will never have leak from there so I had to wait 24 hours as it was stated on the silicon box.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only GE1 can be used as GE2 has mold inhibitors and has been known to nuke tanks. The tank should be taken down and all old silicone removed and redone. You cannot carbon your way out of eliminating mold inhibitors.

Back