OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get activated carbon at just about any pet store that sells fish items. You can get it loose or pre bagged. Just get a bag and put it in your water flow somewhere. It should remove any toxins.
You mentioned having an acrylic lid. Does the lid completely cover the tank? Are there any holes in it for gas exchange? It’s possible you may have had a pH swing also.
House sitter maybe spray Lysol or something in the same room with your tank?
There are gaps for air, they didn't spray Lysol or anything.

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely use Prime. And poly filter is great too. This certainly sounds like a chlorine or ammonia issue and Prime takes care of both.

I know many people have problems with API ammonia tests but mine have always shown the right amount. The fact that you say it sometimes reads higher indicates there is some amount of ammonia in the tank IMO. Ammonia burns the fishes gills.

Seems unlikely the shells had any persistent chemicals on them.

What are they feeding the tank?
Frozen mysis

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is activated carbon you can buy from Amazon. This type means you need media bags
Do you live near a petco or petsmart?

Kolar Labs Crystal Cal Activated Carbon – Activated Charcoal for Aquariums and Fish Tanks

And

DEPEPE 10pcs Aquarium Filter Media Bags with Zipper for Activated Carbon, Biospheres, Ceramic Rings, etc.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Poly filter....I'm intrigued....I dont run a canister, but wondering if I could run it I'm my basic Aquaclear powerhead?
You can run polyfilter really any place with good flow over it.

If I'm concerned of potential chemical contamination I will cut a piece of color changing poly filter and wedge it between my return nozzle and the side of the tank so the filter gets blasted.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run polyfilter really any place with good flow over it.

If I'm concerned of potential chemical contamination I will cut a piece of color changing poly filter and wedge it between my return nozzle and the side of the tank so the filter gets blasted.
Thanks much, noted! So I will grab some and have it on hand to cut and dump into my powerhead if needed.... the things ya learn here even after years in the game, I tell ya....invaluable.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just me or is 3 months really fast for LPS stocking? Maybe the tank needs more cycling time?
3 months is fine if you know what you're doing, but it looks like they still have ammonia, which is an issue.

My newest tank isn't 3 months and I've moved SPS into it from my other tank and they are growing. Again, I think experience and tank prep can speed these things up safely.

I think there might be a combo of issues or something really big that we don't see since the tank owner isn't at the house yet.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or if you can find this it may be easier to cut and fit into you HOB filter forcing all your water to cycle through it. Again make sure you rinse before use

EA Premium Carbon Infused Filter Pad 18x10 - Cut to Fit for Aquariums and Pond

N8Ball666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 months is fine if you know what you're doing, but it looks like they still have ammonia, which is an issue.

My newest tank isn't 3 months and I've moved SPS into it from my other tank and they are growing. Again, I think experience and tank prep can speed these things up safely.

I think there might be a combo of issues or something really big that we don't see since the tank owner isn't at the house yet.
I suppose it just depends on parameters, and how adept you are to noticing possible issues.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to wait 2 days I'm sure you can amazon something but its easy to find instore places. For your purposes I would just go to a store. And if the cora isn't dead then its probably just ticked about a parameter and might be able to be saved so I wouldn't worry about it till you can show everyone here a picture.

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah not much I can do right now ill order the activated carbon and bags
Ok, that shouldn't cause ammonia spike.

Any chance you had a couple snails die off?
Possibly some snails could have died ill have to check

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or if you can find this it may be easier to cut and fit into you HOB filter forcing all your water to cycle through it. Again make sure you rinse before use

EA Premium Carbon Infused Filter Pad 18x10 - Cut to Fit for Aquariums and Pond

I think I have room to fit it in my hob so that could work

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have room to fit it in my hob so that could work
Hi, just coming into this late. Lots of talk about carbon, but remember that carbon doesn't remove all chemical toxins. water changes do. When I have a case of acute poisonings, where fish are dying, I perform a series of water changes that get me to a total of 100% Then using carbon to take care of anything left (three 33% water changes don't give you an effective 100%, because the second and third changes are also changing some of the water you had already changed). Do I understand though, that you aren't the primary keeper of this tank? Doing big water changes can be tricky if you don't know how.

Circling back to the animals: all the fish died? How many invertebrates died? What is left alive? Is more than one coral looking bad?

Jay

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to wait 2 days I'm sure you can amazon something but its easy to find instore places. For your purposes I would just go to a store. And if the cora isn't dead then its probably just ticked about a parameter and might be able to be saved so I wouldn't worry about it till you can show everyone here a picture.
picture...
20210124_082526.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back