OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the wood of a boat is replaced until all the wood is replaced with new wood, is it the same boat?
Not if it is a totally wooden boat. :)

But if you replace the paint on the outside of the boat, is it the same boat?
If I replace the siding on my house, is it still the same house?

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very very nice, its a year older than me. One thing I noticed from the video on the right bottom up front it looks like a skull with the tongue sticking out.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not if it is a totally wooden boat. :)

But if you replace the paint on the outside of the boat, is it the same boat?
If I replace the siding on my house, is it still the same house?
No.

No.

I feel like a new person after I shower, so, I am now reflecting on how ephemeral identity is!

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Anniversary Paul , 50 years is just amazing but actually reading your threads, your book, your experiences and of course the support of your beautiful Super model wife I’m sure it will be around for many more years. Congratulations my friend. :)

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what's the name of that rainbow colored needle looking fish and that those 2 red fish???? I have never once seen those posted on this forum! i need those LOL
The skinny fish is a Janss Pipefish and I think the red fish you mean are fireclowns. They are about 30 years old.
There are 25 or 30 fish in there but most are small oddities and hide all the time, especially if I am standing in front of the tank

Sippiku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meme Reaction GIF

Congratulations!!!

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was started in 1971 and was moved three times. The longest it was in one place was 40 years. The last move was almost 3 years ago.
The glass was also changed three times as it got scratched from cleaning. It was started in a 40 gallon glass, then for 45 years it was in 100 gallon glass and now 125 gallons.

It uses 100% NSW and the oldest fish, a firefish is about 35 or 40 years old. His mate is a couple of years younger and they spawn constantly.
There are about 25 fish. Watchman gobies are spawning as are 6 line wrasses, fireclowns and rainsford gobies.

It uses dolomite and a reverse Undergravel filter. The ATO, algae scrubber and skimmer are also DIY
Nothing was ever quarantined or medicated.

(Actually it's birthday is in March of this year in 2 weeks so I cheated a little)
012.JPG

Longnose and Copperband.jpg

FTS Feb.jpg

File.jpg

Red - Copy.jpg
Hippo.jpg

Always been an inspiration to all of us. Thank you good sir.

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was started in 1971 and was moved three times. The longest it was in one place was 40 years. The last move was almost 3 years ago.
The glass was also changed three times as it got scratched from cleaning. It was started in a 40 gallon glass, then for 45 years it was in 100 gallon glass and now 125 gallons.

It uses 100% NSW and the oldest fish, a fireclown is about 35 or 40 years old. His mate is a couple of years younger and they spawn constantly.
There are about 25 fish. Watchman gobies are spawning as are 6 line wrasses, fireclowns and rainsford gobies.

It uses dolomite and a reverse Undergravel filter. The ATO, algae scrubber and skimmer are also DIY
Nothing was ever quarantined or medicated.

(Actually it's birthday is in March of this year in 2 weeks so I cheated a little)
012.JPG

Longnose and Copperband.jpg

FTS Feb.jpg

File.jpg

Red - Copy.jpg
Hippo.jpg

Wow... Amazing

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even dealing with power outages this long, the luck + planning and response details factors heavily in getting hardware compliance especially in a home reef

even with perfect biological artistry, what it takes to earn five decades, hardware issues usually fell the attempt but this one is going and going that’s so rare and nice.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon I think the Reverse Undergravel filter has a lot to do with that. During a power outage, and there have been many, once for 5 days, the UG filter doesn't seem to have any negative effects. I run it very slow so the bacteria throughout it are not used to a lot of oxygen. Just a little.

I could and did also pour water into a funnel that feeds the UG filter every couple of hours to keep it oxygenated. I don't think I had to do that but it didn't hurt.

No one uses a reverse undergravel filter even though mine lasted so long with not even one problem. Many people ask me if I started a new tank if I would install a "better, more modern system".

Like really!!!! What system is better? Sand? I don't think so. Bare Bottom? Not likely. That would be the worst IMO as the bottom of the tank is all surface area and gravel just increases area for bacteria to live and bacteria runs our tanks not us or Supermodels. :oops:

I also think, and I know it is very controversial that the act of quarantining and keeping fish in a tank with no fresh live bacteria or pathogens is the reason most tanks crash and the reason there are no old quarantined tanks. I feel that method causes disease, not the other way around. Again, just my opinion.
I think the "secret" is to keep fish like they are kept in the sea, fully immune from everything and it is very easy, much easier than quarantining.

This week I bought two new fish and this year I bought a few more because some jumped out. No problems. I also think most people just don't know or don't want to feed correctly and I cringe when I see what people feed their fish, then they wonder why they are on the disease forum.

Last edited:

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back