My tank just reached 50 years old.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was started in 1971 and was moved three times. The longest it was in one place was 40 years. The last move was almost 3 years ago.
The glass was also changed three times as it got scratched from cleaning. It was started in a 40 gallon glass, then for 45 years it was in 100 gallon glass and now 125 gallons.

It uses 100% NSW and the oldest fish, a fireclown is about 25 or 30 years old. His mate is a couple of years younger and they spawn constantly.
There are about 25 fish. Watchman gobies are spawning as are 6 line wrasses, fireclowns and rainsford gobies.

It uses dolomite and a reverse Undergravel filter. The ATO, algae scrubber and skimmer are also DIY
Nothing was ever quarantined or medicated.

(Actually it's birthday is in March of this year in 2 weeks so I cheated a little)
012.JPG

Longnose and Copperband.jpg

FTS Feb.jpg

File.jpg

Red - Copy.jpg
Hippo.jpg

Last edited:

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations Paul. I got my first saltwater tanks (2 55 gallons) in 1973. I did not have your tenacity. I left after about 8 years and decided to make babies. I only returned to the hobby a year ago.

Great work!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wanted to make it last fifty years. Now I will call it a success so if it crashes or gets Covid, I will still call it a success.

I know all the people saying it is Russian Roulette because of never quarantining but there is a word I like to call those people.........Wrong. :p

Now it can crash all it wants. ;)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy early birthday!

I didn't even know firefish could live that long!! I figured since they are somewhat a smaller type of fish... they would be like a 10 yr fish... guess not!

This hobby is a lot cheaper when your fish live 30+ years. HA!

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back