My tank just reached 50 years old.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha ha, I was 11 years old when you started this tank. Kudos to you Paul for sharing a tried and true method of keeping a reef tank! The longevity of your tank speaks for itself. I hope you (and all of us on R2R) get to enjoy your tank for years to come!

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 years! Congratulations Paul!

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was started in 1971 and was moved three times. The longest it was in one place was 40 years. The last move was almost 3 years ago.
The glass was also changed three times as it got scratched from cleaning. It was started in a 40 gallon glass, then for 45 years it was in 100 gallon glass and now 125 gallons.

It uses 100% NSW and the oldest fish, a fireclown is about 35 or 40 years old. His mate is a couple of years younger and they spawn constantly.
There are about 25 fish. Watchman gobies are spawning as are 6 line wrasses, fireclowns and rainsford gobies.

It uses dolomite and a reverse Undergravel filter. The ATO, algae scrubber and skimmer are also DIY
Nothing was ever quarantined or medicated.

(Actually it's birthday is in March of this year in 2 weeks so I cheated a little)
012.JPG

Longnose and Copperband.jpg

FTS Feb.jpg

File.jpg

Red - Copy.jpg
Hippo.jpg

Congratulations.

I loved the whales as background music

will25u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon I think the Reverse Undergravel filter has a lot to do with that. During a power outage, and there have been many, once for 5 days, the UG filter doesn't seem to have any negative effects. I run it very slow so the bacteria throughout it are not used to a lot of oxygen. Just a little.

I could and did also pour water into a funnel that feeds the UG filter every couple of hours to keep it oxygenated. I don't think I had to do that but it didn't hurt.

No one uses a reverse undergravel filter even though mine lasted so long with not even one problem. Many people ask me if I started a new tank if I would install a "better, more modern system".

Like really!!!! What system is better? Sand? I don't think so. Bare Bottom? Not likely. That would be the worst IMO as the bottom of the tank is all surface area and gravel just increases area for bacteria to live and bacteria runs our tanks not us or Supermodels. :oops:

I also think, and I know it is very controversial that the act of quarantining and keeping fish in a tank with no fresh live bacteria or pathogens is the reason most tanks crash and the reason there are no old quarantined tanks. I feel that method causes disease, not the other way around. Again, just my opinion.
I think the "secret" is to keep fish like they are kept in the sea, fully immune from everything and it is very easy, much easier than quarantining.

This week I bought two new fish and this year I bought a few more because some jumped out. No problems. I also think most people just don't know or don't want to feed correctly and I cringe when I see what people feed their fish, then they wonder why they are on the disease forum.
@Paul B , when you refer to feeding correctly, what’s your method?

lawton111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the tank. Looks awesome.Just a quick question, how do you use your NSW,do you get it fresh for Water changes or store it. eother way do you treat it before putting it in the tank? TIA

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was started in 1971 and was moved three times. The longest it was in one place was 40 years. The last move was almost 3 years ago.
The glass was also changed three times as it got scratched from cleaning. It was started in a 40 gallon glass, then for 45 years it was in 100 gallon glass and now 125 gallons.

It uses 100% NSW and the oldest fish, a fireclown is about 35 or 40 years old. His mate is a couple of years younger and they spawn constantly.
There are about 25 fish. Watchman gobies are spawning as are 6 line wrasses, fireclowns and rainsford gobies.

It uses dolomite and a reverse Undergravel filter. The ATO, algae scrubber and skimmer are also DIY
Nothing was ever quarantined or medicated.

(Actually it's birthday is in March of this year in 2 weeks so I cheated a little)
012.JPG

Longnose and Copperband.jpg

FTS Feb.jpg

File.jpg

Red - Copy.jpg
Hippo.jpg

Congrats! That’s an amazing milestone

Prairiereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I took that video because you asked about that Janss pipefish. I took 6 video's and the rest of them came out better but that stupid pipefish wouldn't make an appearance so when he finally did, I used that video. There are about 25 or 30 fish in there but most of them are odd bals so they hide.

I couldn't find the blue stripe pipefish for the video as they hunt in the back

Joe that dolomite gravel is the original from the 60s when it was a brackish tank. I had to add more because the tank used to be smaller. We didn't use rock in 1971, we used dead coral skeletons so the rock is newer, most from the 80s. I collected it all or built it myself, I don't think I ever bought any rock.

The water was always the same and I never dumped it all out so I assume a few molecules of the original water is still in there. The last 3 years I live near the sea so I just collect it on the beach
So did you rinse the sand in between moves or tank upgrades? I'm moving in a little over a month and a half and upgrading to a new 125 and debating keeping the old sand or not and if so whether I want to rinse it or not.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on making it 50 years! I hope to live that long not to mention my fish make it to 35 years old. Keep being that beacon of reason for all the new age people and make sure you remind them to rub some dirt in their super sterile tanks! Good luck with 50 more!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back