My Tank Needs Help

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH is stuck at 7.8 or below. I've tried water changes, reef builder, reef buffer, kalkwasser... It will go up but not stay up. My alkalinity is at 11, so I can't do any more dosing... Magnesium is 1350, calcium is 450...

Stuff is dying, randomly, that's the real issue. I had two clams, lost one. A had an LTA, got a second one, the new one died. I have lots of RBTAs, got a new BTA, it wasted away over about 2 months. I had a Riterri for around 6 months, it also withered away and died. A couple SPS colonies died too. Meanwhile I have several other corals, and even a gigantea anemone that continue to thrive. And fish, snails, crabs, etc., all fine.

Thinking of getting an ICP test. Any recommendations on companies, or other things to try?

Tank info: 92g with 100g sump. Mixed reef with live rock and macroalgae in the sump. Running 4+ years.

Here are all the parameters I've checked:

Temperature: 78
Salinity: 1.025
Alkalinity: 11 (normally 9)
PH: 7.8
Nitrates: 20-40
Phosphates: 0.04
Calcium: 450
Magnesium: 1350

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the human enclosure the tank is in look like population wise?
Tried fresh air intake on your skimmer?
I didn't see a skimmer but might have missed it. I put an air pump outside and have it just bubbling in my sump since I stopped running skimmers on my reef tanks.

OP
OP
bradleym

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the human enclosure the tank is in look like population wise?
Tried fresh air intake on your skimmer?
I didn't see a skimmer but might have missed it. I put an air pump outside and have it just bubbling in my sump since I stopped running skimmers on my reef tanks.
Two adults and one child in 1800 square feet. All three are gone during the day most weekdays. I don't use a skimmer anymore either, but I use a bubbler in the sump. No outside line though.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two adults and one child in 1800 square feet. All three are gone during the day most weekdays. I don't use a skimmer anymore either, but I use a bubbler in the sump. No outside line though.
You may need better gas exchange (e.g. put the skimmer back in)

Edit; never mind. I re-read your original post and see that the fish are fine, so low oxygen is likely not a significant issue.

Also, what time of day are you testing pH?

OP
OP
bradleym

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may need better gas exchange (e.g. put the skimmer back in)

Edit; never mind. I re-read your original post and see that the fish are fine, so low oxygen is likely not a significant issue.

Also, what time of day are you testing pH?
I have a probe, so I can see it at any time of day, and I've double checked it with a test kit at different times of day over the past few weeks.

OP
OP
bradleym

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop chasing ph. You are killing your corals. Raising alk from 9 to 11 for no reason is killing your corals.
My corals died just fine before I changed the alkalinity, so although it didn't help, it's not the original issue. If you have any suggestions for my original issue, that would be appreciated.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop chasing ph. You are killing your corals. Raising alk from 9 to 11 for no reason is killing your corals.

No it's not. Many salt mixes are around that by default and I ran my alk at 11-12.5 for a long time. There is also a benefit to seeking a pH number It's ok to seek a number as long as it's fine the right way. Just saying stop isn't helpful.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these corals that have been in the tank a long time then died recently? I would say maybe consider an ATI or Oceamo icp.

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it's not. Many salt mixes are around that by default and I ran my alk at 11-12.5 for a long time. There is also a benefit to seeking a pH number It's ok to seek a number as long as it's fine the right way. Just saying stop isn't helpful.
I don't think he meant the alk value is off. I think he meant "raising it by 2 in a day is a killing factor".

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you double check that your tests are accurate and/or not expired? What test kits do you use?

OP
OP
bradleym

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these corals that have been in the tank a long time then died recently? I would say maybe consider an ATI or Oceamo icp.
All the corals I have lost have been in the tank for months/years. Thank you for the ICP recommendations.

OP
OP
bradleym

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you double check that your tests are accurate and/or not expired? What test kits do you use?
I use an Apex probe and an API test kit, they both read the same. I agree they could both be wrong in the same way, but if the PH is not the issue I don't see anything else it could be. That's why I'm starting to think I need the ICP test.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the corals I have lost have been in the tank for months/years. Thank you for the ICP recommendations.

The only other thing I could suggest til then is have someone else do a water test for nitrate and phosphate just to make sure those are reading correctly. The nitrate are high but I honestly don't think nitrate is something of much concern unless extremely high.

OP
OP
bradleym

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only other thing I could suggest til then is have someone else do a water test for nitrate and phosphate just to make sure those are reading correctly. The nitrate are high but I honestly don't think nitrate is something of much concern unless extremely high.
All test results except PH were double checked multiple times at my LFS.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk swings is stressful. Running high alk with low nutrient is also like playing with fire. You will have people tell you all these amazing tanks that run high alk but there's a reason most reputable LFS runs alk between 6-8. Going from 9-11 over two weeks may have been the breaking point along with the low 0.04 phosphate.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a probe, so I can see it at any time of day, and I've double checked it with a test kit at different times of day over the past few weeks.
I'm sorry I don't have any other ideas. It's always sad to lose livestock but gets really frustrating when you can't find a pattern or cause. Good luck...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back