OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a fire shrimp to the tank and was inspired to name the tank after horror movies. I’ve named the shrimp Carrie, she’s blood red and a loner. The clowns I’m debating between George and Betty from IT or Norma and Norman from Pysco, still debating

6DD09314-8589-442A-B3B5-02A51B952810.jpeg

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! I usually find it bad luck naming fish. Usually right after something happens sadly. Good luck!

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! I usually find it bad luck naming fish. Usually right after something happens sadly. Good luck!

oh man. I haven’t named anything in my home tank and I’ve had no issue... man now I think I’ve jinked myself.

ozborn99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my second tank. I've wanted a tank in my office for some time but scared away by some hurtles. I had several concerns about an office tank;

1. Water changes- I will not be able to have an RODI system at work so all water has be brought from my house.
2. Testing and Dosing- I will not be at work every day, nor would I have time every day to do testing or dosing.
3. Cleaning and Maintenance- the amount of time it will take to clean the glass, sand, and filters. Plus cleaning things in a shared kitchen or bathroom sink might get me some dirty looks.
4. Feeding- will the fish starve over the weekend without me?

This is why I'm going to try my best to do an Ultra Low Maintenance tank. I've watched the whole series from BRS on them, and will probably watch it again but here is what I've got right now.

EQUIPMENT
IM NUVO-30L
Current IC LED
(2) Current 660 GPH wave makers
NUVO protein skimmer
Cobalt Aquatics NEO-Therm heater
Nuvo APS stand
MightyJet 538 GPH Return Pump
Desktop CustomCaddy Media Basket

Possible/Probable Additional Equipment
ATO
Back up return pump
Back up heater
Media cup
Filter Floss
Supplemental T5 light

So how do I plan to make this tank ULM? I looked at the following things
Tank Selection
-Tank Size: I was cautious of the size for a couple reason. I wanted something large enough to have several fish and house corals, however, not so large that tank maintenance and water changes became an issue. With a 30 gallon I have enough room for 4-5 fish and a 10% water change each week will only be 3 gallons.
-AIO: I wanted an all in one due a reduction in plumbing and less chance for an issue to occur while away such as a clogged overflow or return pipe.
Redundancy
-My goal is to switch the plumbing in the back for the return pump. Currently there is one return pump with a split hose that goes to two returns in the tank. My plan is to put an additional pump in the back, change out the split hose to two individual hoses that each go to one return.
-Additional heater in tank in case a failure of the first
Filtration choices
-As this is an office tank I don't want to be transporting dirty filter socks home every couple of days. My plan is to remove the filter sock and put a media cup in its place. Then fill the media cup with filter floss.
-I went back and forth on a skimmer as it can be a mess to clean in a communal sink, however, I did decided to go with it.
-Additional filtration with media blocks.
Automation
-I haven't pick it yet, but thinking about buying at Tunze Universal 3155 ATO. I had initially thought to save money I wouldn't buy an ATO and just top off each day. However, when thinking about it more I am leaning towards an ATO.
-Auto feeder for weekends and holidays. I love feeding my fish, because they get to know you as the food person, but I think it would be better to set up an auto feeder that way it will be a consistent feed every day and the fish can eat on weekends. I plan to do flakes and pellets and then maybe a couple times a week I would feed frozen.
Stock list
-Looking for fish and livestock and work for me. My goal is a very healthy CUC. I do not want to be siphoning the sand each water change, which means I need some good stand sifters. I've never had a conch before but I have hard good things so try a couple of those in this tank. I have an Urchin in my tank at home and their if very little algae on any sort on the rocks.
-Corals will be mainly Sofies with a couple LPS. To keep dosing and testing down doing a primarily softy tank will be easier to mange then heavy LPS or all SPS.

Fish/Corals
(2) clowns
Starry Blenny
Yellow Watchman & Shrimp Pair
Zoas
Xenia
Elegance
Toadstool
Fuzzy Pulsing Sinularia
Torch
Duncan
Anemone

DA6F8241-252C-45E6-AF00-9716BFD32D91.jpeg
Nice setup for work!!! Dang. I only have a 5 gallon freshwater shrimpy running. I wouldn't trust a tank over the weekend's or holidays

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup for work!!! Dang. I only have a 5 gallon freshwater shrimpy running. I wouldn't trust a tank over the weekend's or holidays

I know, that was/is the biggest worry I have about an office tank. So my plan is to do water changes and maintenance on Saturdays, that way the tank is only alone for a day at a time. I will also feed on Saturday instead of using an auto feeder or having them go several days without eating. I have an ATO, and I plan on mostly softies so no really crazy dosing needs to be done. Vacations are definitely what I am still worried about most. If its just office holidays that's fine I can still come in and check on it... but if I'm gone I worry. The one good things that I didn't know when I planned this is we just hired a new guy and he has had saltwater tanks for like 10 years so of anyone I trust him to look in on the tank while I'm gone. Fingers crossed it all works out.

ozborn99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, that was/is the biggest worry I have about an office tank. So my plan is to do water changes and maintenance on Saturdays, that way the tank is only alone for a day at a time. I will also feed on Saturday instead of using an auto feeder or having them go several days without eating. I have an ATO, and I plan on mostly softies so no really crazy dosing needs to be done. Vacations are definitely what I am still worried about most. If its just office holidays that's fine I can still come in and check on it... but if I'm gone I worry. The one good things that I didn't know when I planned this is we just hired a new guy and he has had saltwater tanks for like 10 years so of anyone I trust him to look in on the tank while I'm gone. Fingers crossed it all works out.
Dang! Gotta love the hobby. I'd just get it fully setup on an Apex so you don't need to worry about it.
My planted shrimp tank, 2 weeks we were closed down for Christmas. I cut back the lighting for that period. Came back, and my tank was just as good as before. I'd only worried about evaporation, but that wasn't even that bad.
I love the hobby, but it's definitely a ball n chain, unless you do something about it.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang! Gotta love the hobby. I'd just get it fully setup on an Apex so you don't need to worry about it.

I've debated that... but my tank at home doesn't even have an Apex. I will have to see how it goes here. I should probably research the Apex more. When I started my home tank I looked at the cost and quickly backed away, however, maybe I can get a used system. It would be nice to have a way to check the tank at home.

ozborn99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If money is a concern,this hobby is going to get challenging. I've learned over the years, you're gonna spend more than you think, even if you get used gear.
Having an online dashboard helps, and getting alerts if the power shuts down or something on your tank stops working...more peace of mind.
Maybe setup a drop can you can log into to see your tank when your gone. Even a visual inspection is better than just hoping and not knowing how your tank is doing.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If money is a concern,this hobby is going to get challenging.

You're telling me. I started with a 55 HOB filter, upgraded to a RSR350, and just added this Nuvo 30. ;Greedy;Greedy;Greedy
However, I do think there is a difference between equipment that is needed for this hobby, and toys that people like in this hobby. While I think automation is great for convenience, for me, takes some of the fun out of it. When I put in the work and I see the tank grow I feel accomplished because I know that was me. I did the WC, I did the testing, I figured out what to dose. Now with my home tank I have that ability, with this office tank it may be different and I may end up deciding that some sort of automation and monitoring is what is needed here.

ReefChief343

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Friday I received my CUC from reef cleaners. When I first dumped them in it looked like way to many for a 30 gallon tank, and I still think it probably was. However, once they spread out onto the rocks and glass and buried themselves in the sand it didn't seem as bad.
office tank4.jpg
office tank5.jpg

office tank6.jpg

I also ordered two conchs from them. One for this tank and one for my home tank, however, both were DOA which was sad. I was excited to have a conch as I've heard they are funny, I've never had one before. I also ordered a turbo snail which was DOA and several of the other snails and hermit were DOA. When they ship they send them in bag with little to no water and just a wet paper towel. On the website they claim that leads to higher several rates than shipping with water in the bags. Unsure about that, but disappointed all the same. I sent them an email and asked if it was possible to just resend the conch and turbo snail, wasn't too worried about the others, and was sent one sentence back.. "a refund will be issued"¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I would still like a conch for this tank, so possibly ordering from LA next time.

I let the CUC marinate over the weekend, they did a great job cleaning the algae bloom on the rocks that had started, and also got the sand looking nice again. On Monday when everyone was still alive I decided to put some fish in... yes office people you can rejoice there are FINALLY fish in the tank. I picked up two snowflake clowns from my LFS. I was really temped by some Davinci's they had, but went with the snowflakes instead.
office tank2.jpg
office tank3.jpg

Not sure if these two have fully bonded yet, they spend much on their time on opposites sides of the tank from each other. Hopefully they become friends soon. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Here is an updated FTS
office tank1.jpg
Following! This is a great write up. Very interesting as I could never bring a tank into my work place. I like the ULM path you’re going with it. I’d like to see how that Nuvo Skimmer is going to do as well. I’ve heard small skimmers just aren’t that efficient and don’t want to waste money on a small skimmer that doesn’t work.

Another Newbie Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you consider setting up a small fuge w/ chaeto instead of the skimmer? If so, what made you go with the skimmer? I ask because a fuge may have reduced the need for water changes and it's one less piece of equipment to worry about.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you consider setting up a small fuge w/ chaeto instead of the skimmer? If so, what made you go with the skimmer? I ask because a fuge may have reduced the need for water changes and it's one less piece of equipment to worry about.

Yes! I would really like to do one as I think it’s a great natural way to get out extra nutrients. However, I’m stuck on how to do the lighting. I’m worried about the light bleeding into other sections as the area is so small. From looking at others tanks it looks like people are using a razor blade to cut and peel off the black film on the back and have the light shine in that way. I like that idea but my tank is already up so I’d have to move it to cut the film. Still looking at lights to see if there is another option, or if that’s the best way to go.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to get a couple corals in here. I rented a PAR meter from Pod My Reef for $35 and tested where I was at with my lights. The values seemed okay for a softy tank.
PAR LED Office tank.png

A couple weeks ago AquaSD had a live sale so I went on there to buy some stuff for this tank. I was again trying to limit it to Zoas and other soft corals, however, they had a great deal on Elegance corals (which is one of my favorites) so I decided to get one of those as well. I also have two duncans at home that were open and beautiful for a number of months and then suddenly closed up. I tested water parameters, checked for temp and salinity swings, and couldn't find anything wrong. Then I noticed my female clown picking at them. So I thought maybe I would move them over to this tank and see if they open up again.

6C2AA38C-EDA8-4CCF-9804-2F983DF20437.jpeg
DBEFB379-5865-4029-B062-B27FF9CE4FEE.jpeg
F8F6568B-0658-4B8A-A9C8-B0C38FA3BAD2.jpeg

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!
What have you settled on for the equipment placement and layout of your filtration compartment?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back