My Very First Build

AntFarm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon Reef Happy People. My first tank is arriving tomorrow! I thought I would start this thread by putting out my equipment and thoughts on animals and corals. To begin, as I start this journey, I'm not walking this path alone... along with this reefing community I have a good friend who is a more seasoned reefer and my 13 year old daughter. All of which will be helpful in the process. This is a bit long winded but I would appreciate any comments, insight or suggestions, good bad or indifferent.

And so it begins...
Equipment
20 gallon JBJ Nano Cube with Stand
Fiji pink sand 10lbs
Red Sea salt
Jager tru-temp 75w

Still to Purchase
AI Prime 16hd reef with goose neck mount
Powerhead- I haven't decided yet.
I'm still deciding on the landscape. There are some great threads on here for it. I do have some ideas for set-up but still haven't committed to a pic in my mind.
I'm sure I missed a ton. I know there is a whole maintenance and care equipment side to the hobby.

After Cycling the tank and making sure the levels are good I will be adding the following a little at a time.

Corals and Animals
As far as corals are concerned this is going to be a see what I like process. I'm still learning about them and I know I have plenty of time before I add them to the tank. I do ask a lot of questions when I am at the store in order to learn what can coexist. I know they will eventually be there but, I'm just not sure what they will be.

As far as fish and others in the tank this is quite a list. I'm aware that I will not be able to have them all but I would definitely appreciate any suggestions or concerns.

-2 standard orange Clownfish. I do like all the specialty clowns but for some reason I keep coming back to the orange. These are definite in the tank.

Next I want to add one of the following. I'm still researching each.
-Lawnmower Blenny or another variety
-Mandarin fish
-Gramma
From what I have read, so far, all of these fish seem to get along well with the clowns.

-1-2 Bubble tip Anemones
-1 Carpet Anemone although I've read they could be tough to keep and also tough on some of the other animals in the tank.
I would also like to add a clam but I realize that is a long way off.

Last but definitely not least is my CUC.
-Snails
-Hermits
-Urchin
-I would like to get a shrimp but not sure which would work
-I would also like to get regular crabs but same issue not sure which.

If you made it this far I applaud you!! Sorry about being so long winded. Again, any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Tomorrow I'll post my first pics with some thoughts about the process.
Thank you again and Happy Reefing.
Tony

OP
OP
AntFarm

AntFarm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got my tank set up. Settled on the rock structure and filled it today. Now I'm just waiting for the water to clear and I will begin the cycling process. Take a look...

6mh85dm.jpg

h1CXUJ1.jpg

hoFaE7r.jpg

From the side.
jz33Voi.jpg

The pump is working and the heater is in. It's super quiet. Will add more to the thread once everything clears.

OP
OP
AntFarm

AntFarm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few changes to the above critter list.
~I will not be getting a carpet anemone. I was speaking to the guy at the shop and it wouldn't work well for a tank this size. So just bubble tip for now.
~Also I will be adding an emerald crab.
~At my daughter/helpers request she would like to add a tiki hut and go with fancier clownfish.
~Still thinking about a shrimp at some point but but can't seem to nail one down that would work in this size tank. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Tony

OP
OP
AntFarm

AntFarm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is at 0 Nitrites are still at .25ppm. waiting for them to drop. Hopefully this weekend so I can add 2 clowns. My AI Prime 16HD came in so I need to work on the settings as well. Also my lid kit arrived so I need to build that as well. Slowly it's all coming together. Couple of pics with the light because pics are always good...
dAe9INo.jpg

SWj1DTo.jpg

OP
OP
AntFarm

AntFarm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle is finished and I bought some animals. The tank is getting a little brown. Hopefully this phase won't last too long.

2 snowflake clowns
2 cerith snails
4 astrea snails
3 blue legged hermits
blue kenya tree coral, which I will be moving.

Parameters are as follows
ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm
Nitrates 0.5 ppm
Ph 8.0

VthA4cP.jpg

7tKcMp8.jpg

f82cDi8.jpg

OP
OP
AntFarm

AntFarm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added a Pink Streaked Wrasse to my tank. Beautiful fish but very shy at the moment. The clowns are giving him a bit of a hard time. I haven't put them in temporary time out yet because he still comes out and gets a little exercise. Hopefully, he will feel more comfortable soon.
One more fish to go... I was thinking a pistol, watchman combo, but I'm still thinking.

BFPbNTa.jpg

OP
OP
AntFarm

AntFarm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the first corals to the tank. 3 ricordea frags and a JF Jack-O- Lantern. For now they are sitting on a lower frag station. I have spots picked out but I'm picking up a Nem today and once the Nem gets settled I will move the corals to their permenent homes. Take a look.
IpN7cfN.jpg

OP
OP
AntFarm

AntFarm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rainbow BTA added. put it on top of the rock structure in a hole. Hopefully it will be happy there and not wander around. Hopefully the clowns will like the Nem as well.
0UQ0wq4.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back