Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I'd use:
  1. small tank (crappy 10g is fine since your fish are small)
  2. a hang on back filter
  3. cheap power head
  4. heater
  5. ammonia alert badge
  6. some sort of bacteria in a bottle (dr Tim, fritz, bio-spiral, whatever)
  7. Copper power
  8. API copper test kit
  9. PVC elbows for the fish to chill in
What you do (simplified edition):
  1. get all the gear in the tank
  2. mix in new water
  3. add in enough copper power to get to 1ppm
  4. add the fish
  5. raise copper to 1.5ppm in 48 hours
  6. over the following 48 hours get to 2.0ppm
  7. over the next 48 hours get to 2.5ppm
  8. leave the fish in 2.5ppm copper for 30 days (so its 30 days in 2.5ppm. NOT 30 days total)
Use the nitrifying bacteria to soak the hell out of the sponge in the HOB. To further keep ammonia down: water changes & net out any uneaten food. its easier if you feed tiny bits and make sure each piece is eaten.

Speaking of water changes!!!! pre-dose the water change water to 2.5ppm. do NOT let the copper level drop. do not add new water then try to guess how much copper you have to add. Its 100x easier if the water is pre-dosed.
By hang on back do you mean a carbon filter, like the one my 10g came with, or something else? Any suggestions on what type of powerhead?

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By hang on back do you mean a carbon filter, like the one my 10g came with, or something else? Any suggestions on what type of powerhead?

They're a LITTTTTLE expensive but they are so dang small its hard to argue but I reccomend a aqamai kps WaveMaker size of a egg.

And hang on filter system implies any thing that will hang on to the back of a tank and act like the black part of our Fluval 13s. It will pull water form the tank and pull it thru filters and dump it back into the tank. Basically just a small compact version of the black chambers on our tanks.

How are the fishes lookin?

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use one of these but anything like it will do.

as far as power heads go get the cheapest one. I use a hydor.The power head is optional. Mostly you want to get some surface agitation for oxygen. You could just fill the tank about an inch or 2 shy from the top and let the water from the hang on back splash down

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the fishes lookin?
Eh, the clown and gramma are okay, but the sharknose goby is still covered (though acting pretty normal), and the fire fish, though has no more ich spots, has very beat up skin and is acting like he’s ready to go. But, I suppose anything could happen. So would a basic Top fin Silentstream carbon filter be alright, or should it also have biomax and sponge like the sump filtration?

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh, the clown and gramma are okay, but the sharknose goby is still covered (though acting pretty normal), and the fire fish, though has no more ich spots, has very beat up skin and is acting like he’s ready to go. But, I suppose anything could happen. So would a basic Top fin Silentstream carbon filter be alright, or should it also have biomax and sponge like the sump filtration?
Im unsure of which is better but I can confirm the Fluval sponge is a nitrate factory and shouldn't be used for very long even in a display. One of the first things I upgraded was the sponge to the intank basket and my algae literally disappeared in a week.

Unsure about what to use in specifically for your problem especially if you'll be medicating the fish.hopefully this will bump and some can answer your question

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Top Fin silent stream filter should be adequate enough, you don't need carbon because that absorbs the medication that you will use. It's a good idea to have bio max but I don't think you need it since you don't have much fish. Just do water changes to keep ammonia down but make sure every new water you add-in has the same level of copper to keep the copper level the same assuming that you will use copper to treat the fish.

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Top Fin silent stream filter should be adequate enough, you don't need carbon because that absorbs the medication that you will use. It's a good idea to have bio max but I don't think you need it since you don't have much fish. Just do water changes to keep ammonia down but make sure every new water you add-in has the same level of copper to keep the copper level the same assuming that you will use copper to treat the fish.
Figured that with the carbon. Also +1000 on predosing copper into add water

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey just curious how your fish are doing
Oh, sorry I didn’t update this thread...
Well, things went sideways fast and what I thought was ich very quickly became a velvet outbreak, and I lost the royal gramma and the clown. The quarantine tank is up now, and the firefish is still alive and well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back