Woahhhhhhh
giphy.gif

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, sorry I didn’t update this thread...
Well, things went sideways fast and what I thought was ich very quickly became a velvet outbreak, and I lost the royal gramma and the clown. The quarantine tank is up now, and the firefish is still alive and well.
Did the fish start to look dusted? I'm sorry about your losses!

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read this thread and the most valuable lesson I learned was don't trust the advice of the so-called "experts" at LFS. Their contradictory advice made the op ignore the excellent advice on here which led to a catastrophe. I still think you were dealing with Ich, it doesn't look like velvet IMO. My best guess is you let the disease breed repeatedly until their numbers overwhelmed the fish. Another thing to take away here is that if you have a disease outbreak, instead of attempting to find an alternative that "may" work, just use the successful method everyone else is using. It makes no sense to do the opposite of everyone else unless you're a saltwater specialized vet experimenting. For people who read this thread in the future, the best advice I can give is to look at the many detailed articles written by Humblefish on this forum before getting fish to save yourself a headache that may very well make you quit the hobby.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read this thread and the most valuable lesson I learned was don't trust the advice of the so-called "experts" at LFS. Their contradictory advice made the op ignore the excellent advice on here which led to a catastrophe. I still think you were dealing with Ich, it doesn't look like velvet IMO. My best guess is you let the disease breed repeatedly until their numbers overwhelmed the fish. Another thing to take away here is that if you have a disease outbreak, instead of attempting to find an alternative that "may" work, just use the successful method everyone else is using. It makes no sense to do the opposite of everyone else unless you're a saltwater specialized vet experimenting. For people who read this thread in the future, the best advice I can give is to look at the many detailed articles written by Humblefish on this forum before getting fish to save yourself a headache that may very well make you quit the hobby.

First, I never called myself an expert.
Second, the very comment was " ich isnt a very fast killer the best way to treat ich is to treat them with copper in a QT tank and to leave your display fallow for 76 days or you could take the route of ich management "
Third, since I'm guessing I'm in this untrustworthy group of socalled experts...the reason he got contradictory advice, is because his response was "I dont/can't get a QT". To which people tried to give other methods. But a couple of us refuse to waste time with anything else. I for one got louder and more aggressive because anything other than ACTUAL QT AND COPPER isn't going to eradicate it. I've lived through it.... and guess what? he know has a QT and prob will be grateful very soon.

The advice you get is up to you to listen to or not listen to. Usually the more difficult path, is probably going to be what works... It takes a quick google search to see it's true.........

I've told him various times he's taking too long to deal with the issue, and he got what he got. Now he knows and will do better. Learning experience.

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I never called myself an expert.
Second, the very comment was " ich isnt a very fast killer the best way to treat ich is to treat them with copper in a QT tank and to leave your display fallow for 76 days or you could take the route of ich management "
Third, since I'm guessing I'm in this untrustworthy group of socalled experts...the reason he got contradictory advice, is because his response was "I dont/can't get a QT". To which people tried to give other methods. But a couple of us refuse to waste time with anything else. I for one got louder and more aggressive because anything other than ACTUAL QT AND COPPER isn't going to eradicate it. I've lived through it.... and guess what? he know has a QT and prob will be grateful very soon.

The advice you get is up to you to listen to or not listen to. Usually the more difficult path, is probably going to be what works... It takes a quick google search to see it's true.........

I've told him various times he's taking too long to deal with the issue, and he got what he got. Now he knows and will do better. Learning experience.

I wasn't referring to you, but the LFS OP was getting advice from.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't referring to you, but the LFS OP was getting advice from.

You know what? You're right I misread it. It's what happens when you read the forums while working in between tickets.

You have to be careful with advice in general, and usually google helps.

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't agree more. Which is why I asked what the fish eventually looked like. Some people I've noticed on this forum would rather do mental gymnastics that they are the 1 percent that has a problem magically disappear or not really be a problem. Only reason I've had so much success is listening to the overwhelmingly agreed upon advice on this forum

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Unfortunately, I waited and lost the fish...

But, I can only move ahead. Crap happens in tank keeping.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for replying. The fish definitely got something worse than ich, because the royal gramma went blind the last few days and got a white coat, and the clownfish in a day got the same dusty coat. The firefish as some of you may remember got a bad case a few weeks ago but recovered. He is now getting the copper treatment and the tank is going fallow.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should’ve used my better judgment and the useful info from this form. As the ich disappeared I got a false sense of hope, and I paid the price.

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for replying. The fish definitely got something worse than ich, because the royal gramma went blind the last few days and got a white coat, and the clownfish in a day got the same dusty coat. The firefish as some of you may remember got a bad case a few weeks ago but recovered. He is now getting the copper treatment and the tank is going fallow.

Yeah, that sounds like velvet. That really sucks, sometimes we have to learn things the hard way. Many went through what you did and there is nothing to be ashamed of. Just pick yourself back up and try again while applying the new knowledge you have gained.

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely forgot to mention that you need to go fallow for 6 weeks for velvet (DT) before you can put any fish back in it (starving the disease). However, note that I have heard of a different strain of velvet that requires an even longer fallow period. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but I wouldn't take any chances and just do a 76-day fallow period if I was in your position. @Humblefish should be able to clarify.

More info here.

Last edited:

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise to get a qurantine tank. To truly have a successful tank, you should qurantine your fish, corals, and inverts to avoid ich. Having a ich-free tank takes away any stress or worry you'll have. Learn about TTM.

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy it ended up being velvet. Did ubever go tell ur lfs they were wrong. Also just cause u have a qt now doesn't mean u should still shop somewhere that has slkniwn sick fish. If that lfs dicked you its OK to not go there and find an online trustworthy dealer or another lfs that doesn't sell you velvet and tell you its not.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy it ended up being velvet. Did ubever go tell ur lfs they were wrong. Also just cause u have a qt now doesn't mean u should still shop somewhere that has slkniwn sick fish. If that lfs dicked you its OK to not go there and find an online trustworthy dealer or another lfs that doesn't sell you velvet and tell you its not.
It’s a pretty good LFS, it’s where I got my leather coral. I don’t go there often, so it’s not a priority to tell them they were wrong. I wish they didn’t guide me in the wrong direction, but I didn’t have much info than a tiny white dot at the time.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back