My very first reef tank!

Hermorah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Welcome to my first build thread. After years of being in the animal hobby. From my first hermit crab in first grade, which was unintentionally murdered with a spoon by my little brother. Till a few years later to a merely 10g freshwater tank with no filter, heater, dechlorinator or even lights and about 20 fish which each would grow more than 5 inches. All the way to keeping fish alive, having a successfully scaped planted aquarium, having a leopard gecko and a lot of stuff in between. To now a reef tank twelve years after having Crabby.
Ok about my tank its 18.95 gallons (71 liters) 27.5"L - 16.14" H - 9.8" D (cm: 70-41-25) but due to a brace it’s only going to have water up to 14.5" (37cm), which makes the water volume 17 g (64 L); I estimate that the water volume with sand and live rock would be around 14.5 g (55 L).
If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's (impatience = redoing eventually). Just do it right the first time, take your time, in the end you will be very glad you did. The real itch only lasts a week. The best remedy for an itch in my opinion is making a scape dojo and adjusting The scape every day to make it better. I did this for about three weeks, and in these three weeks and another two before them I’ve been researching and planning.

P_20190714_131823.jpg

P_20190716_002856.jpg
P_20190716_003321.jpg

P_20190716_010753.jpg

P_20190716_011629.jpg

P_20190716_122129.jpg
P_20190716_123248.jpg
P_20190716_130158.jpg
P_20190716_211420.jpg
P_20190717_151957.jpg
P_20190717_170915.jpg
P_20190722_172314.jpg
P_20190723_185620.jpg
P_20190723_190117.jpg

My two cents on scaping. When scaping you should consider the rule of thirds, balance, flow and other art guidelines, but in my opinion the one thing that really makes a aquascape aesthetically pleasing is having a story. You need to try and tell something with your scape. Your story could be anything, maybe you’re creating the ruins of a drowned city, a magical jungle (something like in the movie avatar), recreating a reef and imagining the process it was developed and building it from bottom up. You can even replicate some else’s tank or a scene from a documentary or picture.
The story can be as simple as what you’re putting in the tank and creating a natural environment for it. It doesn’t matter what you chose, but having one will give more value to your tank and also give you a guideline of what to do. In my story I knew there had to be caves, shelves for coral and different section so I don’t get bored. So I started scaping and reached the image of a rocky shore that due to many years of rain, the softer rocks have been washed away and the denser rocks have remained in the form of columns. Then water levels have raised, and coral has grown on the rocks.
As I said earlier I was scaping for three weeks, I know it’s overkill but it was mainly a way to make waiting easier. Even though it was overkill I changed something every day. You can’t believe how one tiny detail can impact a scape.

1.jpg
2.jpg

That’s why taking your time and letting it sit for a few days is so important. When you walk away from a scape after focusing on it, your brain is still working on it in the background without you knowing. This effect is especially powerful when you sleep on it. So leave it for at least a day.
Now after making any change you must take a picture. This is necessary so you can recreate your scape and compare it with other ones. They don’t need to be high quality or good, they’re there so you don’t forget. I mean look at mine.
Also imagine the tank as a complete, think about how the corals will grow and if they have enough space. Do this for all livestock and equipment.
When scaping you should consider the direction you’re going to look at the tank at. For me it was from my desk (front) and my bed (right).

front 1.jpg

Oh and I almost forgot. After positioning the rocks I glued them together using the cotton (didn't use cigarette filters) and super glue technique, so they wouldn’t move.

Currently I’m letting my rocks dry from a bleach cure and hopefully will be sitting up my tank soon. I’m going to use Bio digest start at the beginning. And for equipment Aquaforest reef salt, a 264 G/H (1000 L/H) pump that will pump water into a container holding media and macro algae that overflows into the tank. I don’t have a RODI unit and I’m buying water. For stocking I’m sticking with corals and inverts with no fish. Fish are too much work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hermorah

Hermorah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I've just finished placing the rocks and sand. The picture below is taken with the blue and white led strips on. In reality it isn't purple at all it has a bleached white color with a tint of blue, you can't see any purple.

20190802_192807.jpg

Now what happened before this. I removed the coral from the bucket of bleach and water after about three days. I'm sure it was enough, because bleaching was extra from the beginning and I went for a 1/5 solution. Plus after bleaching they didn't smell like the sea any more, they smelled like nothing.
anyway, some pieces broke due to rough handling and thinned out rock. The glue it self didn't let go, but the rock broke at thin spots.
Another thing I noticed was, that there was sand at the bottom of the bucket. My rocks where clean, so it was from breakdown. Going forward, after the rocks dried for another three days. I brought them in and reglued them perfectly thanks to my pictures.
20190802_192425.jpg

The picture above is the blue led strip alone. In person it's dark blue and there is no purple, but for some reason the phone picks it up as purple. I'm going to fill up the tank tomorrow.

20190802_192707.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hermorah

Hermorah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay in updates, stuff happened and I hit some problems.

On Aug 4 I filled up the aquarium, turned on the pump and everything went right. Here's where the problems start. I live in a desert so temp is high (outside around 100F (38C), inside 82F to 86F (28C - 30C)) the way I cool my freshwater aquarium is by having no lid. This way it stays below 82F (28C) with little evaporation. I thought with myself I'll do same thing with saltwater but no!

I woke up the nest day after filling the aquarium and measured the water height and calculated the water loss. The results were about one gallon every twelve hours, which for a fourteen-gallon aquarium is a lot. Plus, I buy my water; the only local RODI water I have is lab grade, which is pricey.

So I had to cover it up, I used some plastic wrap. Next day comes along and temperature is at 91F (33C) What?! Room temp Is at 84F (28C) how is this so much higher. Days of brain storming and experiments pass with fail. Then finally a light bulb pops up: I’ll put it exactly in front of the ac output; the problem is I have to move my brothers bed. Thankfully after some arguments and redecorating, the temperature problems are pretty much solved. The tank temp swings from 77F to 82F (25C- 28C) which according to this: https://reefs.com/magazine/the-great-temperature-debate-part-iv/ article is OK. It’s good to mention that the temperature swing happens very slowly; the temperatures said are the max and min. temperature is a lot more stable.

That being over, I added bio digest after I realized this plan worked (it took two days of constant temp recording). Everything was going happily until I realized we have to go for vacation in around two and a half weeks. So nothing is going in the tank for up to a month (I’m quarantining). Been about two months since I started my quest for a saltwater aquarium and I’m slowly going nuts. Hope I survive ;Dead.
20190812_105611.jpg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay in updates, stuff happened and I hit some problems.

On Aug 4 I filled up the aquarium, turned on the pump and everything went right. Here's where the problems start. I live in a desert so temp is high (outside around 100F (38C), inside 82F to 86F (28C - 30C)) the way I cool my freshwater aquarium is by having no lid. This way it stays below 82F (28C) with little evaporation. I thought with myself I'll do same thing with saltwater but no!

I woke up the nest day after filling the aquarium and measured the water height and calculated the water loss. The results were about one gallon every twelve hours, which for a fourteen-gallon aquarium is a lot. Plus, I buy my water; the only local RODI water I have is lab grade, which is pricey.

So I had to cover it up, I used some plastic wrap. Next day comes along and temperature is at 91F (33C) What?! Room temp Is at 84F (28C) how is this so much higher. Days of brain storming and experiments pass with fail. Then finally a light bulb pops up: I’ll put it exactly in front of the ac output; the problem is I have to move my brothers bed. Thankfully after some arguments and redecorating, the temperature problems are pretty much solved. The tank temp swings from 77F to 82F (25C- 28C) which according to this: https://reefs.com/magazine/the-great-temperature-debate-part-iv/ article is OK. It’s good to mention that the temperature swing happens very slowly; the temperatures said are the max and min. temperature is a lot more stable.

That being over, I added bio digest after I realized this plan worked (it took two days of constant temp recording). Everything was going happily until I realized we have to go for vacation in around two and a half weeks. So nothing is going in the tank for up to a month (I’m quarantining). Been about two months since I started my quest for a saltwater aquarium and I’m slowly going nuts. Hope I survive ;Dead.
20190812_105611.jpg
Keep in mind in a saltwater tank, you want it to be open on the top for proper gas exchange/oxygenation. It’s common to have lots of evaporation and the use of an ATO (auto top off) is crucial to maintain a stable salinity in the water. Being in the desert, I’m assuming you have much more evaporation per day than most places. When I run my air conditioner, I have to refill my ATO much more often. If you’re not running your AC constantly, you may want to look into an aquarium chiller. I actually bought mine used for a deal. Hope this helps and it’s looking good. Can’t wait to see more.

OP
OP
Hermorah

Hermorah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind in a saltwater tank, you want it to be open on the top for proper gas exchange/oxygenation. It’s common to have lots of evaporation and the use of an ATO (auto top off) is crucial to maintain a stable salinity in the water. Being in the desert, I’m assuming you have much more evaporation per day than most places. When I run my air conditioner, I have to refill my ATO much more often. If you’re not running your AC constantly, you may want to look into an aquarium chiller. I actually bought mine used for a deal. Hope this helps and it’s looking good. Can’t wait to see more.
I'm going to use a air pump and by the time the tanks gets stocked the weather will start to get colder. I also might buy a RODI unit in a month or so but for now, it's going to be OK empty.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to use a air pump and by the time the tanks gets stocked the weather will start to get colder. I also might buy a RODI unit in a month or so but for now, it's going to be OK empty.
By air pump, are you saying air stone? Like a bubble wand type thing?

OP
OP
Hermorah

Hermorah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By air pump, are you saying air stone? Like a bubble wand type thing?
Yes, I know that most of the oxygen they give is throw making surface tension but the tank isn't completely sealed it has some air flow. I doubt the bacteria will mind. A better solution will be found until the time I get coral.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I know that most of the oxygen they give is throw making surface tension but the tank isn't completely sealed it has some air flow. I doubt the bacteria will mind. A better solution will be found until the time I get coral.
Will your tank have a sump? If not, what kind of filtration? I think flow is a problem in tanks sometimes that don’t run a sump. I see yours isn’t drilled. Feel free to PM me if you need help. Saltwater tanks are finicky in many aspects that seem inconceivable at first. A freshwater setup with only salt added is most likely to end up in problems. I’ve been there before and I can help you if you want.

OP
OP
Hermorah

Hermorah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will your tank have a sump? If not, what kind of filtration? I think flow is a problem in tanks sometimes that don’t run a sump. I see yours isn’t drilled. Feel free to PM me if you need help. Saltwater tanks are finicky in many aspects that seem inconceivable at first. A freshwater setup with only salt added is most likely to end up in problems. I’ve been there before and I can help you if you want.
The plan is to make an overhead sump. I want to add extra rock, charcoal, macro algae and other stuff if needed. And thanks a lot for the offer sure will ask for help if I hit any roadblocks.

OP
OP
Hermorah

Hermorah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Its been a long time since I've updated. Nothing interesting happened during this time; I went on my vacation and I'm back with corals, two hermit crabs and a nassarius snail. currently quarantining but so far I haven't seen any pests or traces of them on my corals. But i have found some unwanted critters; an asterina starfish (non coral eating type), a baby bristle worm, super tiny aiptasia that came with macro algae (think i removed them all by trimming the macro). Also their are some good ones like feather dusters, pineapple sponges , Copepods, yellow Brachiopods and maybe some other stuff I cant see that came with the live rock.
20190907_202156.jpg
20190907_202317.jpg
20190907_202539.jpg
20190907_202703.jpg
20190907_202932.jpg

I've got a mushroom, three different type of zoas and a gsp. All of them look beautiful under blue light but I couldn't get a picture of them with the blue light on.
20190910_120237.jpg

OP
OP
Hermorah

Hermorah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved the corals I was sure of to the tank and they seem so much happier. The fluorescence are really beautiful and eye catching. Unfortunately I cant catch the true colors but its not to far.
20190912_110330.jpg
20190912_110345.jpg
20190912_110400.jpg
20190912_110408.jpg

I also found a fairly large aiptasia around one inch on one of my zoa frags. I was amazed when I saw it. I've had these corals in quarantine for about a week and this thing has just opened up. its astonishing how aiptasia can act like balloons.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back