My very green tank. Lighting too strong?? Help please.

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning All Have attached 2 pictures. My tank is 10 months old. Started with dry rock. Phosphate 0.12, nitrates 12 to 14. 6 fish, about 15 various snails. 3 shrimp. Everyone is happy and healthy but under only white light the tank looks awfully green to me. Should I tone down the white light or will that make no difference? No hair algae, just a very short layer of turf (??) algae. Zoa frags spreading slowly, not much luck with other corals. Lighting is TMC ilumenair 900+. The PAR map on their site shows large PAR numbers, but I am confused. I am unlikely to get hold of a PAR meter, so do the pictures suggest anything? Many thanks.

IMG_0161.jpeg IMG_0160.jpeg

OP
OP
peterhos

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually that stuff doesn’t scare me much, IMO you are FAR from the panic zone

…IMO thats easily CUC material… its when it gets long and fuzzy that become a concern …

My prescription? Take 2 urchins and call me in the morning. ;)
Thank you Doctor. I may need a strong drink to help with taking 2 urchins.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Doctor. I may need a strong drink to help with taking 2 urchins.
Ha ha …seriously tho I’d make urchins mandatory for every CUC nothing cleans rocks better and/or is less picky…urchins leave a rock bare, including coraline algae

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn on some blue lights and you won't even see it ;)
20230718_091923.jpg
20230718_144628.jpg
Exactly, (thats a good one!)
……
but in the same breath some people believe it “whiter light” that actually causes the algae, and that is misapplied logic… I ran 6500K tanks for years, focus on nutrient/algae control, not light wavelength … sure a white or “blurple” bulb grows green stuff better than blue, but thats not where the issue is….

OP
OP
peterhos

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn on some blue lights and you won't even see it ;)
20230718_091923.jpg
20230718_144628.jpg
Thank you. The white only was for the photo, but, yes I do run blue and a red and violet channel so we never see a green tank. My problem is not understanding PAR levels in practice. If there is a superhero reading this, the TMC website has a PAR map for the ilumenair 900 + I have. But, are those numbers true/too high/too low. I have been fidgeting with the light levels over the last few weeks … anything obvious strike you?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, (thats a good one!)
……
but in the same breath some people believe it “whiter light” that actually causes the algae, and that is misapplied logic… I ran 6500K tanks for years, focus on nutrient/algae control, not light wavelength … sure a white or “blurple” bulb grows green stuff better than blue, but thats not where the issue is….
Just to clarify for the OP the green in my tank is there even today it's just not visible under blues. Sorry if you knew that and I misunderstood.

Just taken using a flashlight but yet when I get home the lights will be on and I won't see it
20230802_073808.jpg

OP
OP
peterhos

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify for the OP the green in my tank is there even today it's just not visible under blues. Sorry if you knew that and I misunderstood.

Just taken using a flashlight but yet when I get home the lights will be on and I won't see it
20230802_073808.jpg
To be fair, the green looks like a healthy colour, but I want my coralline to get a move on….

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning All Have attached 2 pictures. My tank is 10 months old. Started with dry rock. Phosphate 0.12, nitrates 12 to 14. 6 fish, about 15 various snails. 3 shrimp. Everyone is happy and healthy but under only white light the tank looks awfully green to me. Should I tone down the white light or will that make no difference? No hair algae, just a very short layer of turf (??) algae. Zoa frags spreading slowly, not much luck with other corals. Lighting is TMC ilumenair 900+. The PAR map on their site shows large PAR numbers, but I am confused. I am unlikely to get hold of a PAR meter, so do the pictures suggest anything? Many thanks.

IMG_0161.jpeg IMG_0160.jpeg
Your lighting looks fine. If you think your white color is too green then increase blue spectrum.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair, the green looks like a healthy colour, but I want my coralline to get a move on….
Understood. This is my first time starting with dry rock barebottom up so I'm happy to have the green invisible under blue light algae as apposed to some of the alternatives that I've dealt with in the past.
Have you seeded for coralline? I'm only about 4 months in and have coralline coming on but I added some frags and snails that had coralline on them.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood. This is my first time starting with dry rock barebottom up so I'm happy to have the green invisible under blue light algae as apposed to some of the alternatives that I've dealt with in the past.
Have you seeded for coralline? I'm only about 4 months in and have coralline coming on but I added some frags and snails that had coralline on them.
Not taking the OP’s thread sideways, but sorta related is; I’m not quite sure exactly how algae finds its way into tanks, but it surely does…
Coralline might need a ride, but the greens stuff must be air born … what always intrigued me was how saltwater algae's “spores”? finds their way to containers that had nothing more than Instant Ocean with tap…and in places like Ohio 100’s of miles from the ocean

certainly that green stuff in the OP’s tank is of that sort…

OP
OP
peterhos

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not taking the OP’s thread sideways, but sorta related is; I’m not quite sure exactly how algae finds its way into tanks, but it surely does…
Coralline might need a ride, but the greens stuff must be air born … what always intrigued me was how saltwater algae's “spores”? finds their way to containers that had nothing more than Instant Ocean with tap…and in places like Ohio 100’s of miles from the ocean

certainly that green stuff in the OP’s tank is of that sort…
Maybe this stuff, and much else in nature, just lies dormant until the magic rains come. The dry rock I started with had been in the store for months, but maybe every frag contains all sorts …

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost impossible to get live rock here. 20 years ago that was easy…
Yeah, I started my current tank using live rock from tank tear downs that I got at the local fish store. Also had a reefer give me a small piece of his rock and a little substrate to throw in.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Will do. That green all looks a bit ‘freshwatery’ for me.
I’ve always said this but you can sorta gage a tanks age and health by algae type …. I won’t walk it through but that stuff is a indication that the tank is on track, IMO the “final stage” and “good” stage is when you gotta scrape lil pink specks and lil hard green specks off your glass daily… The pink coralline is a indication your 2 part strategy is on point, that hard green stuff (whatever it is, but it’s similar to the FW type) is a indicator of good water quality (again its flat circular hard green specks)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back