Roast my reefer

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely reef roid it up. I stopped using them because my nitrates got out of whack. I just loved the reactions the corals would give but over did it for sure lol

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi friends, I'm looking for any and all constructive feedback on my system as it stands.

My main concerns that I need your advice on:
  • Bubbletip anemone (bottom mid-left) sometimes looks semi-happy, sometimes deflated, changing between the two states multiple times a day. 100 PAR and decent amount of indirect flow. refer to PAR map and video for flow
  • Hammer coral (mid right of tank) doesn't open all the way 85 PAR, moderate flow
  • GSP (bottom left of tank) doesn't often open all the way
  • Some dinos
  • know I need to get Phosphate and Nitrate up. Advice for sustainable safe way to do so? I feed a pretty decent sized pinch of flake food 3x a day, hikari marine pellets 1x a day, hikari frozen brine 2-3x a week
  • How do you think my flow and lighting is for this mixed reef? check out PAR map and flow video please
Parameters:
  • Temp: 78
  • Phosphate: 0ppm (Hannah checker) I know I need to get this up. Advice for sustainable safe way to do so?
  • Nitrate:1ppm (redsea liquid test kit)I know I need to get this up. Advice for sustainable safe way to do so?
  • Magnesium: 1500ppm (redsea liquid titration kit)
  • Sg: 1.025 (optical refractometer)

Lighting:
  • Kessil ap9x
  • ophek OR3 blue bar
  • 11:30-22:30, 30 minute ramp up and down
  • PAR map below, tested with Apogee meter
1706027160958.png

Flow:
  • 2x MP40, 30% reef crest during day 15% lagoon at night with 2x short nutrient export bursts a day
  • 2x jebao SCP70 in long pulse master/slave mode
  • Reef Octopus Varios 4 running at 50%-60% (500-600 GPH at pump, ~5 feet head pressure

Filtration:
  • Reefmat 500
  • Reef Octopus 150 classic skimmer
  • Icecap small algae turf scrubber
  • activated carbon

Looks nice. Assuming you're using the low phosphate test? I'm not sure I would do anything at this point about that. I think the PAR levels are low for the anemone and the hammer. I had my GSP (You can see a picture in my tank build thread) - as an isolated bridge between 2 coral 'towers' - and that was at about 300 Par. Now - the conventional wisdom is that they 'need' xxx PAR - but IMHO - many corals do better at higher than the 'minimum' par. Also what is your light schedule (i.e.) - how long is your light at the PAR levels posted - do you have a really long ramp up-ramp down time>

BTW - if you do want to somewhat increase PO4 - you can feed more.

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is the Hannah ULR phosphate tester.

Ok so I’ve been feeding way more the past 4 days, and even fed reef roids twice (my corals all loved it!) and my phosphate is still reading zero. I also tested the phosphate in my frag system which is skimmerless (only filtration is floss, carbon and refugium) and that system is 0.22 phosphate, so I definitely feel like my display has a phosphate deficiency. Corals are all quite happy, with the exception of some closed Xenia in some parts of the colony, a less than fully extended hammer, and a BTA that spends a strange amount of time semi-deflated.

My skimmer cup did fill more quickly than usual after the increased feeding, so I am going to try shutting the skimmer off and see how that goes.

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, update. 3 days skimmerless, phosphate is up to 0.03, nitrate is still 1-2ppm. Kh 8.2. Corals look less happy than when the skimmer was running. Anemone still looks rather sad a lot of the time. Am I doing something wrong?

IMG_4577.jpeg
IMG_4578.jpeg
IMG_4579.jpeg
IMG_4580.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back