My wife moved my tank...

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trick is to get a tank big enough that a wife can't move it.

My wife has no care in the world for any of my aquariums. I could get rid of the 90g in the living room and wouldn't be surprise if she didn't ask about until months laters.

Mine said, after the money I've spent, if I got rid of it, she would divorce me. I'm like, that's cool honey, but, also sunk cost fallacy...

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All these people telling you to divorce your wife over a small aquarium must have terrible relationships. I know some of them are joking but still. Support your wife, it sounds like she was doing well in her mind, grit through it like men are supposed to, and move on.

In the end, fish tanks are easy to replace. A partner through this life and the next, not so much!

This is a very selfish hobby. Crap happens. Good luck dude! Enjoy life.

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank was damaged right around black friday/cyber monday. I smell an opportunity!
1699191016453.png

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All these people telling you to divorce your wife over a small aquarium must have terrible relationships. I know some of them are joking but still. Support your wife, it sounds like she was doing well in her mind, grit through it like men are supposed to, and move on.

In the end, fish tanks are easy to replace. A partner through this life and the next, not so much!

I agree 100%. Although I myself am a fan of hyperbolics. So I'll allow it in defense of comedy and making the point.

However, I didn't even yell. She didn't know. As I said in another post in this thread

"I knew the tank couldn't live forever. It was gonna be one thing or another that killed it."

I think I was lucky. I could have been a hurricane that left me with all dead fish and coral or a power outage or big dogs wrestling, who knows. The one thing I do know.is I was able to save all of my stock and drain it down before it blew out and all the water ended up under my floor. Heck, I only had to walk 20 feet for an appropriate Tupperware to store everything during rebuild on a new system.

Last edited:

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree 100%. Although I myself am a fan of hyperbolic. So I'll allow it in defense of comedy and making the point.

However, I didn't even yell. She didn't know. As I said in another post in this thread

"I knew the tank couldn't live forever. It was gonna be one thing or another that killed it."

I think I was lucky. I could have been a hurricane that left me with all dead fish and coral or a power outage or big dogs wrestling, who knows. The one thing I do know.is I was able to save all of my stock and drain it down before it blew out and all the water ended up under my floor. Heck, I only had to walk 20 feet for an appropriate Tupperware to store everything during rebuild on a new system.
Can @Townes_Van_Camp get a Saint badge up in the *****!!!

Your levelheadedness is admirable!

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You haven’t been married or not married long enough. That’s a reason for a very large tank. Super slim window of opportunity right there for OP. Lol
Definitely an upgrade opportunity.
I just gifted a large sum to a wife's relative. That got me a 425XL. 2nd hand given but she was ok with quadrupling my tank capacity

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a few choice words for her but I shall keep my mouth shut. Sorry to hear! I hope you lectured her and she realized she really messed up/shouldn’t have done what she did. I mean what was she thinking? It was a full tank with live animals. Not an easy thing to be moved and shouldn’t be moved period!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely an upgrade opportunity.
I just gifted a large sum to a wife's relative. That got me a 425XL. 2nd hand given but she was ok with quadrupling my tank capacity
I made a command decision.

There is an upgrade in the future, in accordance with and adjacent to some remodeling at home. But I'm thinking in the 3ft cube arena.

However, not with this tank. I need a home for a specific clownfish. She is the one fish that will ever go in this tank. She has quite the head count these days. I just recently tried her in a different system after a week in the acclimation box.

On day three she did her best Lizzy Borden. Bit my fire fish and killed it. Bit and injured my chalk bass, took about 1/3 of my McCoskers wrasse's tail. She also employed some dominance tactics on my flame hawkfish. Would just lay on him then chase him into a corner.

She had to go back into her own system.

So she's in a 15 gallon storage tub with all of her mixed reef goodies. Happy as can be.

I decided a IM 15 cube for her.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You just described all my favorite parts of the hobby! :face-with-tears-of-joy:
And the mid century with 3' cube tank. Although I'll tell you right now that a center overflow won't work. Not enough room left for rock and coral. Explored that and decided to go with a corner overflow.

Well who is that cutie on the floor? What kind? :star-struck:

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She moved my 6 year old IM 14 peninsula. I had digitata growing a mm from the surface. Monti cap, cyphestrea, digitata, multiple zoas growing off the glass. I've fragged it out and watched it grow back in three times now.

She torqued the tank dragging it across the room while I was at work. About 6 inches of the rhoght front from the top down is leaking...

A picture from right before it went nuts
1000003208.jpg

Today
1000004882.jpg

Time for an upgrade.

The tank or the wife, but I'd trade the wife.

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You were so close! "grit through it like men are supposed to" is also an example of toxic masculinity. His feelings are valid (frustration, disappointment, even anger). The important parts are communication, empathy, and understanding. Something that a lot of the folks making divorce jokes (or not jokes) in the thread don't seem to have or know how to demonstrate. My wife would be mortified if this happened to her and I would absolutely find myself expressing my disappointment while also managing to reassure that we're all good.

Silly rant but I see a lot of "boomer humor" style jokes on here and it's incredibly tiring.

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like an unmitigated disaster. So sorry you’re going through this.

And honestly, 95% of you commenting are like way better people than I am. Like you’re really making me think this over.

Ok, I thought about it. I choose the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back