My Yurple tang

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The Yurple is magnificent. I have a Yellow Scopas Tang (Yellow bred with Scopas) is perfect as well. He/She has many markings of both and is quite the character.

Hard to get a still Pic, but this is under 14k Metal Halide.

Screenshot_20230124_222928_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230125_000925_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230125_000914_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230124_221439_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
ReefSakes

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Yurple is magnificent. I have a Yellow Scopas Tang (Yellow bred with Scopas) is perfect as well. He/She has many markings of both and is quite the character.

Hard to get a still Pic, but this is under 14k Metal Halide.

Screenshot_20230124_222928_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230125_000925_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230125_000914_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230124_221439_Gallery.jpg
He looks awesome!

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blueface definitely stands out to me as well. It has always been a favorite of mine since I first saw a picture of one in a Shedd's aquarium pamphlet. Now I have one in my 300 sps dominated reef. He's been in there since he was a very small juvenile and now is a full adult (4+ years). He keeps getting bigger and fatter but thankfully doesn't pick at any corals. Definitely one that the "average" person notices. Striking fish!

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can’t believe you had $7-10k to drop on a fish! Serious question though what is your occupation? Something that I need to be lol! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: Unless you somehow got it for free or work for the breeder! It is a very beautiful fish! And why the heck do vendors get away with selling fish for that much. And before you say oh it’s so rare it is but it’s captive and they are making 100% profit off it. I call it price gouging!

Last edited:

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the appeal of this hybrid for its rarity and I don’t mean to put a damper on your enjoyment of the fish (you have an awesome collection of angels that I really like), but I’m not really a fan of these man-made hybrids between species whose natural ranges don’t overlap. Bali Aquarich have done a lot, but sometimes I don’t know what goes through the owner’s mind when he decides to experiment with hybrids over producing pedigree species that are already nice on their own. At most, I’d be fine with hybrids that natural occur and are pretty well-documented, but if it were left to me I’d breed Purple and Yellow Tangs on their own.

One example of what I feel is this unnecessary experimentation from Bali Aquarich is their most recent (successful) attempt at making a hybrid between a Multicolor and a Joculator Angel. Both belong to the same complex and therefore are closely related, but both species are fine on their own and there’s no way I’d get the hybrid over a purebred Multicolor or Joc Angel.

Just my opinion, not trying to start anything. By the way, did any of your CB Angels have trouble eating? And how long have you had them?

The “Tigerpyge” on the other hand is a well-documented, naturally occurring hybrid and all three species of the Flavissima complex are known to form mixed harems in the areas where their natural ranges overlap, resulting in sexually viable hybrid offspring. The Blue-Line Angel, C. Septentrionalis, is known to hybridize with members of the Melanosoma complex AKA the “Velvet” Angels, with the most likely member of the Melanosoma complex being the Japanese variant of C. Melanosoma (C. cf “Melanosoma”). The only error Wen-Ping Su made in his CB Tipgerpyges is not using the Indian Ocean variant of the Lemonpeel (C. “Cocosensis”) but the Pacific variant from Melanesia and Polynesia. The Indian Ocean variant has a blue iris and lacks the blue eye ring of the Pacific variant.

The Purple Masked (Venusta) and Multi-Bar are very closely related and known to form hybrids in the Philippines. The hybrid’s fairly well-documented, and I actually wonder if yours would pair up. A not very well-known, but fairly common hybrid is the Flame x Rusty Angel hybrid, many of which are sold as “Shepardi”. The true C. Shepardi is somewhat of an unknown to me, I’m still not really sure whether it’s an actual species or simply the result of multiple generations of Flames and Rusty Angels crossing and back-crossing, but many books list the Shepardi as being found in a small area in the Marianas and southern Japan.

Sometimes superficial similarities don’t always mean close DNA ties. The Brazilian Flameback (blue tail) and African Flameback (yellow / pale colored tail) look pretty similar, but the Brazilian Flameback is most closely related to the Cherub and the now unobtainable Resplendens, while the African Flameback is most closely related to the Fisheri / Flavicauda.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefSakes

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the appeal of this hybrid for its rarity and I don’t mean to put a damper on your enjoyment of the fish (you have an awesome collection of angels that I really like), but I’m not really a fan of these man-made hybrids between species whose natural ranges don’t overlap. Bali Aquarich have done a lot, but sometimes I don’t know what goes through the owner’s mind when he decides to experiment with hybrids over producing pedigree species that are already nice on their own. At most, I’d be fine with hybrids that natural occur and are pretty well-documented, but if it were left to me I’d breed Purple and Yellow Tangs on their own.

One example of what I feel is this unnecessary experimentation from Bali Aquarich is their most recent (successful) attempt at making a hybrid between a Multicolor and a Joculator Angel. Both belong to the same complex and therefore are closely related, but both species are fine on their own and there’s no way I’d get the hybrid over a purebred Multicolor or Joc Angel.

Just my opinion, not trying to start anything. By the way, did any of your CB Angels have trouble eating? And how long have you had them?

The “Tigerpyge” on the other hand is a well-documented, naturally occurring hybrid and all three species of the Flavissima complex are known to form mixed harems in the areas where their natural ranges overlap, resulting in sexually viable hybrid offspring. The Blue-Line Angel, C. Septentrionalis, is known to hybridize with members of the Melanosoma complex AKA the “Velvet” Angels, with the most likely member of the Melanosoma complex being the Japanese variant of C. Melanosoma (C. cf “Melanosoma”). The only error Wen-Ping Su made in his CB Tipgerpyges is not using the Indian Ocean variant of the Lemonpeel (C. “Cocosensis”) but the Pacific variant from Melanesia and Polynesia. The Indian Ocean variant has a blue iris and lacks the blue eye ring of the Pacific variant.

The Purple Masked (Venusta) and Multi-Bar are very closely related and known to form hybrids in the Philippines. The hybrid’s fairly well-documented, and I actually wonder if yours would pair up. A not very well-known, but fairly common hybrid is the Flame x Rusty Angel hybrid, many of which are sold as “Shepardi”. The true C. Shepardi is somewhat of an unknown to me, I’m still not really sure whether it’s an actual species or simply the result of multiple generations of Flames and Rusty Angels crossing and back-crossing, but many books list the Shepardi as being found in a small area in the Marianas and southern Japan.

Sometimes superficial similarities don’t always mean close DNA ties. The Brazilian Flameback (blue tail) and African Flameback (yellow / pale colored tail) look pretty similar, but the Brazilian Flameback is most closely related to the Cherub and the now unobtainable Resplendens, while the African Flameback is most closely related to the Fisheri / Flavicauda.
I understand your sentiment. Everyone has their own opinion on things. I agree to a point, however I look at it as some major break through for saltwater fish breeding.
Humans will be humans trying to perfect what mother nature already has, but I can't blame us for trying. At the end of the day we learn. Whether it is a process to repeat or not. The newly found process can also lead to other break through.

As far as any of my cb abgels eating. Every single one of them have been eating great strait out the bag. I have a decent collection of Bali Aquarich fishes and have not had issues of them eating. I've kept them in observation/qt tanks for 2-3 months to ensure they were all fat and healthy before putting them into the 260g. I want to say I've had most for about 8 months or so. It's all documented on my IG page. (Same handke as this)

The only fishes I lost from them was my regal angel and that was because why I introduced my Zebra tang into its qt. The tang must of chased it into the eheim pump and got stuck to side of intake and died. Was to small to swim away I guess. I was at work so came home to it that way. The other one was my 1st Yurple. I think it had a genetic disorder or something. Always breathing heavy and it did well for a couple months but started swimming weird doing flips and died.

I'm hoping the multbar and venusta pair up. They do hang out with each other more then the other angels.

The Tigerpyge is a cool hybrid, however it lost most of its vibrant yellow color, but the striping patterns are becoming more pronounced. Wish it still has the vibrant yellow body with the stripes though.

OP
OP
ReefSakes

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t believe you had $7-10k to drop on a fish! Serious question though what is your occupation? Something that I need to be lol! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: Unless you somehow got it for free or work for the breeder! It is a very beautiful fish! And why the heck do vendors get away with selling fish for that much. And before you say oh it’s so rare it is but it’s captive and they are making 100% profit off it. I call it price gouging!
Haha shhhhh. My wife might hear lol. I wouldn't say it's 100% profit. It takes a ton of time, effort, commitment and resources to do what they do. Everything is easier said then done. Otherwise we'd all be doing it.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haha shhhhh. My wife might hear lol. I wouldn't say it's 100% profit. It takes a ton of time, effort, commitment and resources to do what they do. Everything is easier said than done. Otherwise we'd all be doing it.
True and I just mean it’s not a labor intensive or matter of rare materials. But like anything rare or prized it’s going to be expensive.

OP
OP
ReefSakes

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blueface definitely stands out to me as well. It has always been a favorite of mine since I first saw a picture of one in a Shedd's aquarium pamphlet. Now I have one in my 300 sps dominated reef. He's been in there since he was a very small juvenile and now is a full adult (4+ years). He keeps getting bigger and fatter but thankfully doesn't pick at any corals. Definitely one that the "average" person notices. Striking fish!
Yup that's my plan as well. I'm going to attempt an sps dominant system with all these angels. I fell in love with Angels because of the blueface and majestic angels when I 1st saw them 20 years ago in a lfs. Since then I always wanted a dedicated angel reef system and here I am now lol.

jptankkid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lil video update of my yurple. It's almost triple the size of when I got it.

Here is the one in a tank I maintain. Amazing the colors it is showing now vs the pale baby

Attachments

• 61C0A4BE-0130-4E27-BF30-C84734B977F2.jpeg
    61C0A4BE-0130-4E27-BF30-C84734B977F2.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
ReefSakes

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the one in a tank I maintain. Amazing the colors it is showing now vs the pale baby
Beautiful! So tiny and cute. Mines was less then 2" when I got it and just within 6 months or so it's over 4" now. How old is it?

Looks like the owner of that system has the same fish taste as I lol. I see the Zebra haha

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful fish and it’s like it glows around the edges! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
ReefSakes

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's. A full tank video of its home and mates. Slowly testing the angels out with some torches and hammers. So far they don't even seem to notice them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back