Yurple tangs?

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently learned about yurple tangs. They are hybrids of two different tangs and are very rare. Is it possible for yurple tangs too breed and create more? Possilbly someday being a regular tang in aquarium the aquarium hobby.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They've been caught wild too. They were a big thing when they first bred one but IIRC for every striking yellow-fin purple-body tang they got they got like a dozen fish that just looked like an ordinary scopas tang.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They've been caught wild too. They were a big thing when they first bred one but IIRC for every striking yellow-fin purple-body tang they got they got like a dozen fish that just looked like an ordinary scopas tang.
Considering the two species are separated by ~10,000 miles I dont think anyone will be catching a wild one anytime soon :p

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quality Marine, a big wholesalers in Los Angeles, that is getting more and more into captive bred and captive raising fish had had at least one batch of the yurples. While 'unique' looking as juveniles and priced as 'unique' and 'rare' fish. I have yet to see one grown to a teen age size or a full adult.

Some of the hybrid or unique fish don't stay that way in a home aquarium. Koi tangs are an example. Theses mottled fish come in with as many as 4 different colors splattered across them. They only come in as large sized fish. I've see a few medium larges, but no small or tiny. And long term in captivity they lose the mottled coloring.

One of the cool looking hybrid available right now is the Goldflake x Griffiths. This fish was bred by Bali Aquarich and is being distributed by Quality Marine in the US. This is a stunning Juvenilie fish. Brilliant Yellow/gold with dramatic black splashes of coloring. But the Griffiths is not a particulary 'Splendid & Brilliantly' colored fish. So as this fish matures it's unknown what it will become.

I have a current situation with (3) Captive bred GoldFlake Angels. They are all from the same hatch. They all came from Bali Aquarich at the same time. And I acquired all 3 on the same day - at just under 2"

In the acclimation bucket on Goldflake was slightly larger than the other 2 and was beating them up in the bucket. That fish was placed into one of my outdoor frag tanks. They other 2 went into my 750g display tank. One was smart and hid, the other was bold and got his butt kicked by flameback angels and Starkii damsels. A week later battered, bruised, torn, and messed up the 'Bold' Goldflake was caught with just a hand (tattered and torn and floating) at the surface of the tank and tossed into a second outdoor frag tank.

Now 3.5 months later the 2 Goldflakes in the outdoor frag tanks are gorgeous, bright, brilliant, beautiful fish. There black fins are a solid jet black. Their yellow coloring is right up there with a yellow tang or a Lemon Peel Angel. These 2 Goldflakes are fed only maybe once a week so they feed off the frag racks eating algae and pods.

The smarter Goldflake in the 750, that hid an didn't get his butt kicked, is now out and about and not bothered by any of the fish in the 750g tank. He is fed 4-6x a day an assortment of flake, pellet, and frozen foods. All 3 tanks are the same connected system. So Parameters are 100% identical. Pod population density is pretty much the same.

But the goldflake grown under tank lighting (Radion G6 Pro XR30's) is dull, the black fins are more charcoal grey, and the fish is slightly smaller than the 2 sungrown Goldflakes.

So these Hybrids as they grow out could be greatly affected by the tank and conditions they are raised in and the final product(s) may or may not be as cool as we hope.

Dave B

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quality Marine, a big wholesalers in Los Angeles, that is getting more and more into captive bred and captive raising fish had had at least one batch of the yurples. While 'unique' looking as juveniles and priced as 'unique' and 'rare' fish. I have yet to see one grown to a teen age size or a full adult.

Some of the hybrid or unique fish don't stay that way in a home aquarium. Koi tangs are an example. Theses mottled fish come in with as many as 4 different colors splattered across them. They only come in as large sized fish. I've see a few medium larges, but no small or tiny. And long term in captivity they lose the mottled coloring.

One of the cool looking hybrid available right now is the Goldflake x Griffiths. This fish was bred by Bali Aquarich and is being distributed by Quality Marine in the US. This is a stunning Juvenilie fish. Brilliant Yellow/gold with dramatic black splashes of coloring. But the Griffiths is not a particulary 'Splendid & Brilliantly' colored fish. So as this fish matures it's unknown what it will become.

I have a current situation with (3) Captive bred GoldFlake Angels. They are all from the same hatch. They all came from Bali Aquarich at the same time. And I acquired all 3 on the same day - at just under 2"

In the acclimation bucket on Goldflake was slightly larger than the other 2 and was beating them up in the bucket. That fish was placed into one of my outdoor frag tanks. They other 2 went into my 750g display tank. One was smart and hid, the other was bold and got his butt kicked by flameback angels and Starkii damsels. A week later battered, bruised, torn, and messed up the 'Bold' Goldflake was caught with just a hand (tattered and torn and floating) at the surface of the tank and tossed into a second outdoor frag tank.

Now 3.5 months later the 2 Goldflakes in the outdoor frag tanks are gorgeous, bright, brilliant, beautiful fish. There black fins are a solid jet black. Their yellow coloring is right up there with a yellow tang or a Lemon Peel Angel. These 2 Goldflakes are fed only maybe once a week so they feed off the frag racks eating algae and pods.

The smarter Goldflake in the 750, that hid an didn't get his butt kicked, is now out and about and not bothered by any of the fish in the 750g tank. He is fed 4-6x a day an assortment of flake, pellet, and frozen foods. All 3 tanks are the same connected system. So Parameters are 100% identical. Pod population density is pretty much the same.

But the goldflake grown under tank lighting (Radion G6 Pro XR30's) is dull, the black fins are more charcoal grey, and the fish is slightly smaller than the 2 sungrown Goldflakes.

So these Hybrids as they grow out could be greatly affected by the tank and conditions they are raised in and the final product(s) may or may not be as cool as we hope.

Dave B

Here is one member on this forum that has been updating, and dare I say it looks better and better with age. Will I ever have 10k for one? No lol
--
Also here is an older article from reef builders that has more info on the people who are doing the breeding etc

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a natural occurring hybrid, or something man has bred?

Not much of a tang lover, so I honestly have no clue.
It doesn't occur in nature because they don't come into contact with each other naturally.
Biota made em I think, it's my third favorite zebrasoma to velifer and scopas. Not sure if they're sterile.
Wen Ping Su of Bali Aquarich has actually bred all the Yurple tang that have come into the hobby either available through us or QM or another supplier. He's an incredible breeder always surprising us.

We saw the first batch of these at our facility last year and brough them to MACNA. A few of the ones we sold we still keep tabs on like https://www.instagram.com/yurple_22/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

We have a few still available from this latest batch here: https://shop.thebiotagroup.com/products/yurple-tang-hybrid?_pos=1&_psq=yurpl&_ss=e&_v=1.0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back