MY ZEOVIT 180 SPS

Reflective

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a sailfert po4 tester. It reads zero. Anyone use sailfert tester for po4.
I tried using Salifert for p04 and no3 for a while. I found my API test kit better for no3 but still not great. I found it very hard to see a difference in color on the Salifert ones. I ended up buying a Hanna ultra low range phosphorus checker (was only $30 on Amazon for a bit) and the Red Sea Nitrate Pro kit.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried using Salifert for p04 and no3 for a while. I found my API test kit better for no3 but still not great. I found it very hard to see a difference in color on the Salifert ones. I ended up buying a Hanna ultra low range phosphorus checker (was only $30 on Amazon for a bit) and the Red Sea Nitrate Pro kit.
That's a good price I need to jump on that.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is day 38. I put in two new tank mates. Snowflake clowns, Since this is SPS they have nothing to host. I have been thinking what to do. They do host gbta, toadstool frogspawn and a large rock of hairy mushrooms. What should I do? I do not want a GBTA in there at all so that's out. Am I been a bad parent (lol) for not having anything in there for them. My daughter thinks I am mean for that. I am thinking I might have Dino's. Brown,hairy and has air bubbles. I will give it a little longer before I start to tackle it.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 39 and I am starting to think I might have dino's. I add two more tank mates yesterday. Pair of snowflake clowns. They host gbta and I am not putting that in this tank. Would it look bad to put a frogspawn in with all SPS. I feel bad for them now.

JMLewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the look your going for but I personally like the look of frogspawn, hammers, etc amongst my sps. Not to sure how the frogspawn will like the clowns cuddling up to it though.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the long amazing aquascaping thread on the forum. Using different shapes and colors will enhance the overall look. Sticks n rocks are cool and all but mixing soft shape and color will do a lot enhance and draw the eye to your favorite sticks and rocks. Decor is a knack and stepping out of a comfort zone can be bothersome. Like going full zeo on a tank[emoji1]
Look around at other SPS tanks I can poin to some if you like with Nems
There are some other factors to consider when choosing livestock too. A GBTA will make you king daddy of all time. A tank is a family pet and all should be involved IMO. We might take it for granted but kids with pets and science in the house learn better and are more well adjusted with less stress. That's another science.
Tanks not nem ready yet though.

Hey zeo question. Dino's are normal for new tanks of course but I wonder what sand did you go with and do any of the zeo adds contain silicates. Looking for a correlation there. Dino will go away just keep cleaning. Excess silicate will fall into balance etc.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the long amazing aquascaping thread on the forum. Using different shapes and colors will enhance the overall look. Sticks n rocks are cool and all but mixing soft shape and color will do a lot enhance and draw the eye to your favorite sticks and rocks. Decor is a knack and stepping out of a comfort zone can be bothersome. Like going full zeo on a tank[emoji1]
Look around at other SPS tanks I can poin to some if you like with Nems
There are some other factors to consider when choosing livestock too. A GBTA will make you king daddy of all time. A tank is a family pet and all should be involved IMO. We might take it for granted but kids with pets and science in the house learn better and are more well adjusted with less stress. That's another science.
Tanks not nem ready yet though.

Hey zeo question. Dino's are normal for new tanks of course but I wonder what sand did you go with and do any of the zeo adds contain silicates. Looking for a correlation there. Dino will go away just keep cleaning. Excess silicate will fall into balance etc.
Diatom bloom is for new tanks and eats silicates. dinoflagellates ( Dino's) is not the same. It is common in a ulna from what I understand. Zeovit does not have silicates in it.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the look your going for but I personally like the look of frogspawn, hammers, etc amongst my sps. Not to sure how the frogspawn will like the clowns cuddling up to it though.
I like frogspawn to but was looking at SPS only tank. They will host in it. They hosted it before I got them a gbta. They even would host hairy mushrooms.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brown algae is still going strong. I started dosing hydrogen peroxide. On day 6 and no difference. I will give it 8 days then try something else.

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also just started a full zeovit system as well, but I cycled my tank first then I started the 14day zeo cycle once the nitrogen cycle was done. Took about 4 weeks. Besides the big 4, I have added from the start into my dosing regimen, Coralsnow, Zeozym, Biomate and A-Balance. These are all supposed to help with algae/bacterial issues that can arise from carbon/bacteria dosing. I have a bit of algae now, because I let my po4 get upto .08 with a hanna, so I've taken the necessary steps of cut back feedings and uping my flow on my reactor. If I was you don't worry about potassium yet, the system is so unstable for the first 6mos to a year and I doubt the corals you have are using up all the potassium to warrant additional dosing of it. Just let your system do it's thing and stabilize before jumping on the dosing wagon. Just my opinion!!

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also just started a full zeovit system as well, but I cycled my tank first then I started the 14day zeo cycle once the nitrogen cycle was done. Took about 4 weeks. Besides the big 4, I have added from the start into my dosing regimen, Coralsnow, Zeozym, Biomate and A-Balance. These are all supposed to help with algae/bacterial issues that can arise from carbon/bacteria dosing. I have a bit of algae now, because I let my po4 get upto .08 with a hanna, so I've taken the necessary steps of cut back feedings and uping my flow on my reactor. If I was you don't worry about potassium yet, the system is so unstable for the first 6mos to a year and I doubt the corals you have are using up all the potassium to warrant additional dosing of it. Just let your system do it's thing and stabilize before jumping on the dosing wagon. Just my opinion!!
Thanks for that. Do you think I should dose Cs and Biomate to get rid of the algae. I have read that overdose of zeostart could cause brown algea. I cut my dose of zeostart in half for a week and no difference. I have a ulgy brown tank and losing coral left and right. My levels po4-zero and no3-zero. Am I starving my corals and that's why they are dieing. I have a red monti cap That is now losing its color. I have had this cap for a year.

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that. Do you think I should dose Cs and Biomate to get rid of the algae. I have read that overdose of zeostart could cause brown algea. I cut my dose of zeostart in half for a week and no difference. I have a ulgy brown tank and losing coral left and right. My levels po4-zero and no3-zero. Am I starving my corals and that's why they are dieing. I have a red monti cap That is now losing its color. I have had this cap for a year.
Well theres so many variables that could be happening.
Was your rock live rock or dead rock?
Whats your flow through your reactor?
How many gallons net is your system?
Whats your ammonia and nitrite levels?
Whats your nitrate and po4 level using a quality test kit? Hanna for po4..
What kind of lighting?
Are you using po4 media or uv?

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well theres so many variables that could be happening.
Was your rock live rock or dead rock?
Whats your flow through your reactor?
How many gallons net is your system?
Whats your ammonia and nitrite levels?
Whats your nitrate and po4 level using a quality test kit? Hanna for po4..
What kind of lighting?
Are you using po4 media or uv?
I used 75% dead rock and 25% live rock
Flow through reactor is 163
180dt with 60 sump I figure 170 180-20% for rock and I know sump holds 30gals.
nitrate and po4 zero using Sailfert tester.
T5 ati 80w 8bulb
I am not using any media just carbon. Trying to follow they way KZ says do it. I do not have to clean my glass but once every 3-4 days.

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 75% dead rock and 25% live rock
Flow through reactor is 163
180dt with 60 sump I figure 170 180-20% for rock and I know sump holds 30gals.
nitrate and po4 zero using Sailfert tester.
T5 ati 80w 8bulb
I am not using any media just carbon. Trying to follow they way KZ says do it. I do not have to clean my glass but once every 3-4 days.

Your tank might be cycling or was cycling.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to keep this dino from taking completely over. Sunday I blew the rocks off and did a water change. Then dino came back worse.

Back