MY ZEOVIT 180 SPS

DLuce510

A.D.I.D.A.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm excited to see how this system grows! I'd say your algae is probably soaking up any nutrients that would show up on your test so I would say your test kits aren't inaccurate. Did you have your t5's on while you where cycling before you added corals? If so, algae might have got a foot hold before anything else could. Maybe taking all your corals out and turning off the lights for a few days might help, hopefully.:) I'd really like to see this thrive.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm excited to see how this system grows! I'd say your algae is probably soaking up any nutrients that would show up on your test so I would say your test kits aren't inaccurate. Did you have your t5's on while you where cycling before you added corals? If so, algae might have got a foot hold before anything else could. Maybe taking all your corals out and turning off the lights for a few days might help, hopefully.:) I'd really like to see this thrive.
The lights went one the first day. The cycle is only 14days. That's zeovit system. The algea started on day three. I have decided to take all coral out till it gets stable and get rid of the algea. I am going to do 3 days lights out starting Friday - Monday.

httorihanzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you started too fast, too soon. Zeovit or not nothing good in this hobby happens quickly. Your tank was simply much too new to add SPS to it. Your lights being on from day 1 just added to the problem of algea getting ahold before anything else could. If it were me I would remove all the coral and turn the lights off until the algea is gone. Then I would slowly ramp up from just a couple hours a day. Once your rocks dont look like they are brand new I would consider adding in the easiest of coral. Frogspawn, acans, etc.. To have an SPS tank you have to have a mature tank reguardless of Zeovit.

Nobody I know ever had SPS in a 14 day old tank and had success.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights went one the first day. The cycle is only 14days. That's zeovit system. The algea started on day three. I have decided to take all coral out till it gets stable and get rid of the algea. I am going to do 3 days lights out starting Friday - Monday.
If you read zeovit's directions carefully it clearly says that it can take anywhere from 3-11 months for a tank using their system to become stable. 14 days is way too early to put anything in a brand new tank except maybe a small cuc, or tough fish regardless of the system you have set up. Also are you following directions for a brand new set up or an established set up? there are three different beginning routines depending how old/stocked/nutrient levels you tank has.

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! My system is already up and running but I have yet to add corals. I started with the intention of going Miracle mud but have changed my mind and now plan to start Zeovit. Any input on going Zeovit after the cycle is over and the fish are thriving?

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you started too fast, too soon. Zeovit or not nothing good in this hobby happens quickly. Your tank was simply much too new to add SPS to it. Your lights being on from day 1 just added to the problem of algea getting ahold before anything else could. If it were me I would remove all the coral and turn the lights off until the algea is gone. Then I would slowly ramp up from just a couple hours a day. Once your rocks dont look like they are brand new I would consider adding in the easiest of coral. Frogspawn, acans, etc.. To have an SPS tank you have to have a mature tank reguardless of Zeovit.

Nobody I know ever had SPS in a 14 day old tank and had success.
I know nothing happens quickly.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read zeovit's directions carefully it clearly says that it can take anywhere from 3-11 months for a tank using their system to become stable. 14 days is way too early to put anything in a brand new tank except maybe a small cuc, or tough fish regardless of the system you have set up. Also are you following directions for a brand new set up or an established set up? there are three different beginning routines depending how old/stocked/nutrient levels you tank has.
Following Zeovit. The 14 day cycle tells you on day 10 to put First Herbivore fish in and cuc. (max. 2 per 200l) which I only put in 1 fish and non sensitive corals like branching Montipora. Which I put in montipora digitia and cap. Then I waited a week and put in the next three. Which is still under the limit. add more fish than 1-2 fish per 250 liters per week. I went four weeks before I added the last 2. I am following the directions for new setup which it is. The only thing I did do different is added dry rock. I understand it can take up to a year to be stable. KZ say you can start adding additional coral after day 14. This is new to me. The hobby is not new to me. All the montipora's that I have put in this tank I grew from a little frag in my other non zeovit tank. Like I said I have had the red cap for several years. That I have frag numerous times.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! My system is already up and running but I have yet to add corals. I started with the intention of going Miracle mud but have changed my mind and now plan to start Zeovit. Any input on going Zeovit after the cycle is over and the fish are thriving?
Don't know what reactor you are going to use. Put the small stones in a mess bag and put on top of the large ones. The little ones will stop up the reactor. All else is I am learning this also. I would say follow the step by steps on KZ web site. Please share a build of your setup so we can learn Zeovit together.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah looks like dinos to me. Your 3 day blackout should be total darkness. If you blackout (tape back trashbags up) the glass and let no light in, including ambient, your tank will look spotless on the 4th day. Doesn't mean it's dead in my experience, it can come back.

It's toxic, including to fish, so skim very wet while blacked out to remove as much as possible.

4th day actinic lighting only. From there slowly ramp back up to a normal lighting cycle.

With it getting worse after a water change I'd look into your water source. They thrive off silicates. I like to run SeaGel in place of just carbon during and after the blackout.

I've read that you can kill dinos by raising your pH to 8.6-8.7 constantly for several months. I haven't tried this yet. There is also Algae-X that seems to have great reviews.

Good luck in the battle. Hopefully it didn't transfer to your other system. I'll be tagging along.

I really like the scape and look forward to seeing your results with Zeovit once the dinos are gone.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think where I went wrong is used live rock out of one one my tanks. Even though I did not have dino problem in tank the rock came from. KZ states to use fresh and clear live rock. I guess live rock from a establish tank is not fresh. I pulled all the coral out last night and put them the tank the came from. see if I can get them to recover. I will go lights out starting tonight. I am hoping this will not do anything to the bacteria I have been dosing. As I am sure it needs light. This is day 57 so maybe there is enough to be ok.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah looks like dinos to me. Your 3 day blackout should be total darkness. If you blackout (tape back trashbags up) the glass and let no light in, including ambient, your tank will look spotless on the 4th day. Doesn't mean it's dead in my experience, it can come back.

It's toxic, including to fish, so skim very wet while blacked out to remove as much as possible.

4th day actinic lighting only. From there slowly ramp back up to a normal lighting cycle.

With it getting worse after a water change I'd look into your water source. They thrive off silicates. I like to run SeaGel in place of just carbon during and after the blackout.

I've read that you can kill dinos by raising your pH to 8.6-8.7 constantly for several months. I haven't tried this yet. There is also Algae-X that seems to have great reviews.

Good luck in the battle. Hopefully it didn't transfer to your other system. I'll be tagging along.

I really like the scape and look forward to seeing your results with Zeovit once the dinos are gone.
Thanks I am going to blow off the rocks and vacumm sand before I put the bags on to help. Change out my filter socks also. Hope that make it a little easier. Do you put bags over the top also. Do you not feed the fish at all.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just pull your filter socks completely for the blackout. You don't want to trap any die off in the water column. Let your skimmer completely remove it

I usually don't feed. I did last time for anthias but most fish can go the 3 days no problem.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the long run do you think it's worth the time investment? I've been looking into trying this but have a difficult time committing to dosing everyday. And being able to leave for a weekend or a vacation. Sounds like you've had success with more "traditional" methods. Do you run a refugium. I saw in a video that it's not recommended but couldn't find anything regarding fugues in their literature.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the long run do you think it's worth the time investment? I've been looking into trying this but have a difficult time committing to dosing everyday. And being able to leave for a weekend or a vacation. Sounds like you've had success with more "traditional" methods. Do you run a refugium. I saw in a video that it's not recommended but couldn't find anything regarding fugues in their literature.
For all the Zeovit Tanks that I have seen in person. WOW is all I can say. The colors, how clear the water is. This tank has had days where the water is super clear. Everyone that comes over that's the first thing they say. How did I get the water so clear. I do not mind dosing everyday. Once it gets stable it is not that bad. What I have been told that once stable if you miss a few days of dosing, it is ok. The only thing I am dosing everyday is zeostart. I dose before I leave for work(it take 2 second) which I always look at my tanks before I leave anyway. Then dose before I go to bed. If you don't pump the reactor, It is ok if you miss a couple days. I have gone for the weekend. I dosed everything right before I left and as soon I got home I dosed. But just like any tank they are not 100% on their on. It does take more time than my others but it is just a few extra minutes a day. Before I had zeovit and I leave to go out of town for a week. I would have someone come check on my tanks anyway. I run refugiums on my other tanks with cheato. Run carbon and gfo But not on zeovit.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is wrapped in trash bags. I know picture shows a few holes, I got them fixed.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank Was wrapped for 4 days. It is still the same. So I guess it is not dinoflagellates. The Zeovit reefers tell me it will clear up. So I will keep doing what I have been doing. I think Every time I dose Zeobak I will add coral snow with it.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hope it clears soon!

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know what reactor you are going to use. Put the small stones in a mess bag and put on top of the large ones. The little ones will stop up the reactor. All else is I am learning this also. I would say follow the step by steps on KZ web site. Please share a build of your setup so we can learn Zeovit together.

It will be nice learning it together but it turns out that I will be doing the NeoZeo Method as they were out of Zeovit when I ordered. Same concept and it will be nice to see how both our systems mature with the Zeolite and the different additives.

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO a two day blackout and then a week later do it again and again it will eventually go away if you keep at it. Had the same thing in my tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back