Mystery Algae out-competing SPS Coral

teast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently noticed an algae strain growing on the rockwork that I have not encountered before. It appears to have the upper hand on SPS corals and is winning the battle where they meet. Trochus Snails, Tuxedo Urchins and Tangs are not interested and it is spreading slowly. I have added a photo below. It's a reddish/brown colour and is now located in 3 sites in the tank growing only on the aquascape. All perams are in check and stable. I have some occasional GHA and have had some CYNO which has worked out of the system over time. Tank is just over 2 years old. Any ideas R2R's

IMG_0634 small.jpg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it's an algae? Does it scrub off? If so, I would manually remove it with a toothbrush and siphon and see if it comes back.

TangingOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like lobophora algae. I had some SPS grow right over it while others did not. If you're going to scrub it off, do it outside the tank. Otherwise you'll send bits everywhere and it'll spread.

OP
OP
teast

teast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it's an algae? Does it scrub off? If so, I would manually remove it with a toothbrush and siphon and see if it comes back.

Not 100% sure its an Algae. It doesn't scrub off and is like an encrustation. Rock solid. My rockwork is stuck together and would not be easy to remove without a lot of disruption and disturbance to the corals. Is this something you have seen before?

OP
OP
teast

teast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like lobophora algae. I had some SPS grow right over it while others did not. If you're going to scrub it off, do it outside the tank. Otherwise you'll send bits everywhere and it'll spread.

Thanks I'll take a look at that. It doesn't scrub off and is like an encrustation. Rock solid. My rockwork is stuck together and would not be easy to remove without a lot of disruption and disturbance to the corals. Any idea of the cause?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Are you able to siphon off with a turkey baster?

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it look like a kind of coralline algae we have growing in some of our tanks. Growing slow and are a bit darker red compared to the usual pink coralline algae.

I would keep it. Makes the rock look more alive :)

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like maroon coralline algae. I have some in my frag tank that glows orange under blue light on the new growth edges. The photos of yours sort of look like the edges are slightly orange. If you hit it with just actinic lighting, see if the edges emit fluorescence.

Dennis

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is Peyssonnelia, one of several species like P. boergensii or P. capensis.

I've seen these algae before, the few I've seen have been slow growing and didn't seem to interfere with anything. Honestly, as far as algae goes, I think it's pretty cool!

Since I didn't even know what it was called though... @Hans-Werner -- Would you say this is an algae that is a pest? Something that will interfere with corals, and should be removed?

Or is it completely benign?

Personally, my thought is it's fine. I have a bit on a frag and honestly I'm considering keeping it...

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience it is a slow growing alga as you state. I never had problems with this kind of algae. Because of its laminar or adpressed growth it rarely comes close to any coral.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be an aggressive crustose algae if its out competing your sps. Or perhaps you have an elevated trace element that it digs, man :cool:

OP
OP
teast

teast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like maroon coralline algae. I have some in my frag tank that glows orange under blue light on the new growth edges. The photos of yours sort of look like the edges are slightly orange. If you hit it with just actinic lighting, see if the edges emit fluorescence.

Dennis

Thanks. Yes it’s reddish brown but more brown if that makes sense.. it does produce an orange colour on the edges as it is growing. Good spot I’ll take a look at Maroon Algae. Thanks for responding

OP
OP
teast

teast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This picture is just for comparison purposes. You can see pink coralline, but mostly red. Seems similar to yours?

20180902_143814.jpg

Thanks. I do have some of that in other parts of the tank but this one is different.... less purple more brown

OP
OP
teast

teast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it look like a kind of coralline algae we have growing in some of our tanks. Growing slow and are a bit darker red compared to the usual pink coralline algae.

I would keep it. Makes the rock look more alive :)

Yes I do have some very dark red/ purple coralline but this one is different. Thanks

OP
OP
teast

teast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen these algae before, the few I've seen have been slow growing and didn't seem to interfere with anything. Honestly, as far as algae goes, I think it's pretty cool!

Since I didn't even know what it was called though... @Hans-Werner -- Would you say this is an algae that is a pest? Something that will interfere with corals, and should be removed?

Or is it completely benign?

Personally, my thought is it's fine. I have a bit on a frag and honestly I'm considering keeping it...

Thanks

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back