Mystery Wrasse?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you have in there. They are not reef safe in the sense that they eat inverts (ie shrimp) and they can be aggressive to other Wrasses and similarly shaped fish.

Journeyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in a 60g. Size is fine. They can get aggressive depending on tankmates so you have to strategize accordingly. Be careful getting similar looking wrasses or spread out the aggression, etc.

My tank is wrasse heavy, so it spreads out any potential aggression. Also, the mystery wrasse is one of the smaller ones, so he doesn't have the size to bully the others. So far he has been a perfect gentleman.

Journeyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here he is with his buddies.

Amongst those three, the mystery wrasse is actually the most docile. The melanarus and leopard wrasse are always or in the front swimming and the mystery wrasse hands out more in the rocks.
f353d42772dcd2c57f8e6904026cc315.jpg

OP
OP
GoTakeANap

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depends on what you have in there. They are not reef safe in the sense that they eat inverts (ie shrimp) and they can be aggressive to other Wrasses and similarly shaped fish.

Nothing in the tank yet. Fish list would be cardinal fish, longnose hawk, Midas Benny and mystery wrasse.

That was my favorite fish, tank size you are fine.

Was my favorite fish. Had one in the 75 gallon tank I had years ago.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing in the tank yet. Fish list would be cardinal fish, longnose hawk, Midas Benny and mystery wrasse.

Was my favorite fish. Had one in the 75 gallon tank I had years ago.
If those are the only preposed fish, then a mystery wrasse should be fine. They can definitely get aggressive and limit uture additions, though.

OP
OP
GoTakeANap

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If those are the only preposed fish, then a mystery wrasse should be fine. They can definitely get aggressive and limit uture additions, though.

and may add some blue reef chromis as well. would those be ok as well? Is there another wrasse that would be a better fit than the mystery even thou that is what I would want?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and may add some blue reef chromis as well. would those be ok as well? Is there another wrasse that would be a better fit than the mystery even thou that is what I would want?
Chromis often pick each other off, so I don't recommend them.

If a mystery wrasse is what you really want, then get a mystery wrasse. But that just affects what fish you can get in the future.

OP
OP
GoTakeANap

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Chromis often pick each other off, so I don't recommend them.

If a mystery wrasse is what you really want, then get a mystery wrasse. But that just affects what fish you can get in the future.

Ok I will stay away from them. Any other recommendations on fish to possibility add? Also I take it that I should add the mystery wrasse last?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will stay away from them. Any other recommendations on fish to possibility add? Also I take it that I should add the mystery wrasse last?
Azure, talbots, rollands, and springeri damsels would work.

Add the mystery after the cardinal, hawk, and blenny, but if you did get damsels, add the mystery before the damsels.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A yellow tail damsel would work. Bright colors and are on the less aggresive side of the damsel family.

What about flasher/fairy wrasses?
I would advise against a flasher or fairy with a mystery wrasse.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my mystery wrasse is great but it sure hasn't been as docile as the other accounts I've been reading through here. it is usually the stiffest test for any fish that I introduce but fortunately it seems to be softening up a little as it gets older.

OP
OP
GoTakeANap

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Azure, talbots, rollands, and springeri damsels would work.

Add the mystery after the cardinal, hawk, and blenny, but if you did get damsels, add the mystery before the damsels.

A yellow tail damsel would work. Bright colors and are on the less aggresive side of the damsel family.

What about flasher/fairy wrasses?

I'm not a huge fan of Damsels. Any other fish you would recommend that is reef safe? What is the rule of thumb on how many fish per tank size?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mystery wrasse will eventually bully a firefish.

May I ask why you're not a fan of damsels?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are aggressive to other fish and everyone always says stay away from them
The damsels that have been suggested are better behaved than most damsels, and behavior-wise are a good fit with your planned fish.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back