Mystic Sunset Monti Bleaching?

Sabra616

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so tank parameters ALk 8.0 Calcium 490 Mag 1490 Phos 0 Nitrate 0 the tank is roughly 9 months old I am newer to having Montis I have five different types 3 encrusting and 2 plating all of them including the mystic sunset show great growth on a weekly basis. Just recently the mystic sunset has developed white coloration which I assume is the coral bleaching. There is no sign of distress in any other corals in the tank including the other montis. Any thoughts could my low nutrients be the issue? I have a waterbox 20 cube with 2 clowns and a watchman goby. Photos are in order of the day I received the monti second picture was this past Sunday third picture is today. Thank you for your feedback!

image_6487327.JPG image_72192707.JPG image_67174401.JPG

Garf

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is extremely sensitive to low phosphate. It’s the first to indicate phos has bottomed out by going light colored / bleaching. Extra feedings do the trick to increase phos, but you could do the complicated route and dose something like neophos or something like that.

OP
OP
Sabra616

Sabra616

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is extremely sensitive to low phosphate. It’s the first to indicate phos has bottomed out by going light colored / bleaching. Extra feedings do the trick to increase phos, but you could do the complicated route and dose something like neophos or something like that.
Thankyou! I thought that might be what was causing the color change.

OP
OP
Sabra616

Sabra616

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started testing Phosphates at .1 a week ago and the mystic sunset has started to recover. Thank you everyone for the input. I beefed up my feedings and started feeding coral frenzy per suggestion from LFS. I kept chemi pure blue in the system the entire time to prevent a spike and maintain a slow rise. I know the picture is very blue sorry if that bothers you.

Attachments

• monti.jpg
    monti.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 37

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 97 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back