Mystic Sunsets Going to Shhhh

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s way too big of a regular salinity swing when combined with Alk and ca tweaking. I’ll bet my left arm it’s not a parasite. I have had the same problem many times and it’s always a water quality issue.
I was thinking the same thing. Looks like birds nest which loves to go up in smoke first and is hard to stop RTN on it once it starts. I think I've lost 4, all at different stages of growth

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! My birdsnests are always the canary in the coal mine. Once Alk swings they are irreversibly toast. The Montis usually recover.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
calibrate your refractometer or conductivity probe, and get your salinity up to 35ppt

and try to get your Ca stable.

good luck.

i have a pretty bad track record with montiporas as well. it seems like it's one of these things that don't like my tank.

J.

OP
OP
JCRove06

JCRove06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your feedback. I hope you all are right. I ended up pulling the live rock where the coral had encrusted and dipped it in Bayer insect killer, revive, and an iodine solution.

thejuice24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your feedback. I hope you all are right. I ended up pulling the live rock where the coral had encrusted and dipped it in Bayer insect killer, revive, and an iodine solution.

Anything come off? This is what I had going on for reference......

A87C4BEC-9CB9-42BD-9A5E-CBD41E4268B5.jpeg
3A83E49B-CCC1-4550-BCB6-AEE82D43D4F4.jpeg

thejuice24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They extremely hard to see you have zoom in the up half of the bucket.... looks like little grains of pepper.

OP
OP
JCRove06

JCRove06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
calibrate your refractometer or conductivity probe, and get your salinity up to 35ppt

and try to get your Ca stable.

good luck.

i have a pretty bad track record with montiporas as well. it seems like it's one of these things that don't like my tank.

J.

My salinity has always been kept at 1.025. Isn’t 1.035 very high?

An important note. I took out a six line which killed my firefish (goby). This coinciding with the deterioration of the montis. That is why I felt it was due to a pest of some sort.

Thoughts? I have since replaced it with a beautiful l, hopefully more peaceful, radiant wrasse. He’s been in hiding for the last 3-4 days. I saw him swimming once while the lights were off. I need him to find some gumption and get to work if there are pests.

OP
OP
JCRove06

JCRove06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They extremely hard to see you have zoom in the up half of the bucket.... looks like little grains of pepper.

I absolutely saw granular black dots. It also killed what looked like a starfish with legs the with of a skinny bristle worm.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity has always been kept at 1.025. Isn’t 1.035 very high?

An important note. I took out a six line which killed my firefish (goby). This coinciding with the deterioration of the montis. That is why I felt it was due to a pest of some sort.

Thoughts? I have since replaced it with a beautiful l, hopefully more peaceful, radiant wrasse. He’s been in hiding for the last 3-4 days. I saw him swimming once while the lights were off. I need him to find some gumption and get to work if there are pests.
The 35ppt is different then 1.035. 35ppt is 1.026 I think that’s what confused you.
If you had dots come off after dipping you definitely have a pest issue, the lil Bristle Stars are fine no issues with them.

OP
OP
JCRove06

JCRove06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 35ppt is different then 1.035. 35ppt is 1.026 I think that’s what confused you.
If you had dots come off after dipping you definitely have a pest issue, the lil Bristle Stars are fine no issues with them.

Ok, then my salinity is good. I'm hoping the radiant wrasse comes out soon with a heavy appetite for pests. It's disappointing because it will be 2 years with the same tank in a month, without any coral pest issues. In listening to a youtube post from tidal gardens it seems pests are the rule rather than the exception. It's likely that as I accumulated more and more coral they snuck in on a frag. I only recently started treating frags prior to putting them in the DT. Eventually I will use my 13.5 as a quarantine once I upgrade my DT.

On a side note what does RTN mean?

Thanks again all for your input/feedback. I never get used to how helpful folks are on here.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, then my salinity is good. I'm hoping the radiant wrasse comes out soon with a heavy appetite for pests. It's disappointing because it will be 2 years with the same tank in a month, without any coral pest issues. In listening to a youtube post from tidal gardens it seems pests are the rule rather than the exception. It's likely that as I accumulated more and more coral they snuck in on a frag. I only recently started treating frags prior to putting them in the DT. Eventually I will use my 13.5 as a quarantine once I upgrade my DT.

On a side note what does RTN mean?

Thanks again all for your input/feedback. I never get used to how helpful folks are on here.

RTN is Rapid Tissue Necrosis. In lamins terms it’s where the corals loses all its skin/tissue fast where STN Slow Tissue Necrosis it loses it Slowly.

OP
OP
JCRove06

JCRove06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. The monti’s are looking better. The first frag that started turning white has definite permanent damage about the size of a half dollar but the remaining tissue is looking much better.
The birdsnest and other monti’s look like they’re recovering as well.

Crossing my fingers.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 81 75.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 14 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back