Time to upgrade my pod's homes

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all,
I have been culturing copepods for a while now, and I am currently using 1 gallon containers, so far it has been hit and miss with the cultures. I now would like to upgrade to a 10 gallon glass tank (the ones from petco for $10) Has anyone here done that? any advice or guidance you can give?
My plan is to use regular tube, going into a PEX pipe that is the length of the tank, and have holes in the pipe every inch or so. I will be using Polycarp greenhouse panels as lids ( cheapest lid ever!) and that's about it. I do use T-Iso and Tetra as feed as that seems to work the best ( unless you all have a better way, I am open to suggestions)
I will be using old aquarium lights on a daylight schedule just to help them with breeding (I think that helps anyway).
Please and thank you :)
20240210_114202_HDR.jpg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're a mad scientist :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: I am looking forward to seeing your upgrade mate, that's real interesting! I have two jars in my back window, that's it! Might take some inspiration from you..

OP
OP
BanZI29

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're a mad scientist :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: I am looking forward to seeing your upgrade mate, that's real interesting! I have two jars in my back window, that's it! Might take some inspiration from you
My wife said the same thing. I have been working on this since last Nov. and have learned ALOT with alot of that help coming from awesome people here!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all,
I have been culturing copepods for a while now, and I am currently using 1 gallon containers, so far it has been hit and miss with the cultures. I now would like to upgrade to a 10 gallon glass tank (the ones from petco for $10) Has anyone here done that? any advice or guidance you can give?
My plan is to use regular tube, going into a PEX pipe that is the length of the tank, and have holes in the pipe every inch or so. I will be using Polycarp greenhouse panels as lids ( cheapest lid ever!) and that's about it. I do use T-Iso and Tetra as feed as that seems to work the best ( unless you all have a better way, I am open to suggestions)
I will be using old aquarium lights on a daylight schedule just to help them with breeding (I think that helps anyway).
Please and thank you :)
20240210_114202_HDR.jpg
Nice looking setup!

OP
OP
BanZI29

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the first shelf done. I will put up a pic when I get home. has no on here ever done 10 gal tanks for pods?

OP
OP
BanZI29

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did it. Both shelves are built and the pods are in 10 gal tanks. Only 6 gal of water thou. Gonna see how the pods respond. PLEASE any guidence or advice is GREATLY appreciated!
20240220_145348_HDR.jpg
20240220_145537.jpg

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6273.jpeg

Tried first with FW daphnia in 40 breeders but my struggles were keeping algae from turning yellow. Plan was to do rotifers and pods for clown breeding but just don’t have the time and room forfeited for human habitation.

OP
OP
BanZI29

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6273.jpeg

Tried first with FW daphnia in 40 breeders but my struggles were keeping algae from turning yellow. Plan was to do rotifers and pods for clown breeding but just don’t have the time and room forfeited for human habitation.
Wow! That is a big setup. Don't know if I will need to get to that level but, I can hope.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neat looking set up, my only thought being you will want to seal that OSB. It will not hold up well with water around it like that, and inevitably splashing on it.

OP
OP
BanZI29

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neat looking set up, my only thought being you will want to seal that OSB. It will not hold up well with water around it like that, and inevitably splashing on it.
I sealed them with waterbased polyurethane. It doesn't look like it thou.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back