Time to upgrade my pod's homes

  • Thread starter Thread starter BanZI29
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Joined
Oct 26, 2020
Messages
1,389
Reaction score
2,544
Location
Port St. Lucie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all,
I have been culturing copepods for a while now, and I am currently using 1 gallon containers, so far it has been hit and miss with the cultures. I now would like to upgrade to a 10 gallon glass tank (the ones from petco for $10) Has anyone here done that? any advice or guidance you can give?
My plan is to use regular tube, going into a PEX pipe that is the length of the tank, and have holes in the pipe every inch or so. I will be using Polycarp greenhouse panels as lids ( cheapest lid ever!) and that's about it. I do use T-Iso and Tetra as feed as that seems to work the best ( unless you all have a better way, I am open to suggestions)
I will be using old aquarium lights on a daylight schedule just to help them with breeding (I think that helps anyway).
Please and thank you :)
20240210_114202_HDR.jpg
 
You're a mad scientist :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: I am looking forward to seeing your upgrade mate, that's real interesting! I have two jars in my back window, that's it! Might take some inspiration from you..
 
You're a mad scientist :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: I am looking forward to seeing your upgrade mate, that's real interesting! I have two jars in my back window, that's it! Might take some inspiration from you
My wife said the same thing. I have been working on this since last Nov. and have learned ALOT with alot of that help coming from awesome people here!
 
Hello to all,
I have been culturing copepods for a while now, and I am currently using 1 gallon containers, so far it has been hit and miss with the cultures. I now would like to upgrade to a 10 gallon glass tank (the ones from petco for $10) Has anyone here done that? any advice or guidance you can give?
My plan is to use regular tube, going into a PEX pipe that is the length of the tank, and have holes in the pipe every inch or so. I will be using Polycarp greenhouse panels as lids ( cheapest lid ever!) and that's about it. I do use T-Iso and Tetra as feed as that seems to work the best ( unless you all have a better way, I am open to suggestions)
I will be using old aquarium lights on a daylight schedule just to help them with breeding (I think that helps anyway).
Please and thank you :)
20240210_114202_HDR.jpg
Nice looking setup!
 
Got the first shelf done. I will put up a pic when I get home. has no on here ever done 10 gal tanks for pods?
 
Here's the first shelf done. Building another identical one today. Still need to add the piping for the air lines.
20240217_113134.jpg
 
So I did it. Both shelves are built and the pods are in 10 gal tanks. Only 6 gal of water thou. Gonna see how the pods respond. PLEASE any guidence or advice is GREATLY appreciated!
20240220_145348_HDR.jpg
20240220_145537.jpg
 
IMG_6273.jpeg


Tried first with FW daphnia in 40 breeders but my struggles were keeping algae from turning yellow. Plan was to do rotifers and pods for clown breeding but just don’t have the time and room forfeited for human habitation.
 
IMG_6273.jpeg


Tried first with FW daphnia in 40 breeders but my struggles were keeping algae from turning yellow. Plan was to do rotifers and pods for clown breeding but just don’t have the time and room forfeited for human habitation.
Wow! That is a big setup. Don't know if I will need to get to that level but, I can hope.
 
Neat looking set up, my only thought being you will want to seal that OSB. It will not hold up well with water around it like that, and inevitably splashing on it.
 
your cross beams for the shelf should sit on top of the legs, and bottom notched into the leg so you dont put all the weight on the screws/nails. jmo
 
Neat looking set up, my only thought being you will want to seal that OSB. It will not hold up well with water around it like that, and inevitably splashing on it.
I sealed them with waterbased polyurethane. It doesn't look like it thou.
 
your cross beams for the shelf should sit on top of the legs, and bottom notched into the leg so you dont put all the weight on the screws/nails. jmo
I thought about doing that but I thought it would weaken the 2x4's too much.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new