N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you building there Simon????

That picture but back to back gives a 90 x 90 cm cube stand, ... in case I happened to have an all opti white (low iron) custom built 170 litre low aio sitting in the garden that might make a nice frag tank! ;)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only been testing the water (phrase, I don't test the water except kh monthy (ish)).
Stability is the key and everyone's "stability" will be different, what works for you. :)
So much truth in this! The only thing I test regularly is Alk. Everything else will give you visual cues.

Some tanks are stable at 3ppm NO3 and others are stable at 25ppm. If your tank is stable at 25ppm and you try to lower it to 3ppm because you "think you should" you will have nothing but problems. Life is so much easier if you figure out where your tank wants to be and help keep it there instead of forcing it to some arbitrary values that work for someone else.

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much truth in this! The only thing I test regularly is Alk. Everything else will give you visual cues.

Some tanks are stable at 3ppm NO3 and others are stable at 25ppm. If your tank is stable at 25ppm and you try to lower it to 3ppm because you "think you should" you will have nothing but problems. Life is so much easier if you figure out where your tank wants to be and help keep it there instead of forcing it to some arbitrary values that work for someone else.

Well said that man! :)

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shut this down the day after this pic on my birthday 37 months ago to do the upgrade, how things change! :)

DSC07029 by sshipuk, on Flickr

Holllllllly LPS batman! Was nice before, even better now! Nice job

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least ur attacking it head on! Hang in there bub, I can only imagine the time and pain it must be to take on a project like that.

Out , dipped and cleaned, back in, I will observe and dip as required, it is what it is, I just need to deal with it!

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In other news, I don't usually take pics under led only, mainly for the shape, I think someone enjoyed the feed yesterday, it's not normally this happy at this time of night! :)

DSC_0001 by sshipuk, on Flickr

Sessssy

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, mini me is happier today, the conch and tiger tail cucumbers haven't moved it for over a week! ;)
It has a dinky little cone skeleton so it's easily moved! :)

17 days in now, I'm felling lots more confident about the red dragon, it is growing, some of the tips. :)

DSC_0006 by sshipuk, on Flickr

I moved these on Sunday, I need to literally (I use an actual soft make up brush) take the make up brush to it, clean that cyano off that head. ;)
I don't just have rastas, I have 2 or 3 more zoas to add in this area! :)

DSC_0003 by sshipuk, on Flickr

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looking good Simon, and good luck with your battle with the dreadful AEFW. as I told you on facebook before, a lot of flow and as many as you can get from different wrasses will help significantly.
some of the wrasses I suggest for you to look into:

- Vrolik's Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysotaenia) I have two of them and they are very good.
- Hoeven's Wrasse(Halichoeres melanurus)
-Yellow Wrasse(Halichoeres chrysus)
- Ornate Leopard or False Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon ornatus) easier to keep than true Leopard Wrasse.
- Leopard Wrasse(Macropharyngodon meleagris)
- Blue Star Leopard Wrasse(Macropharyngodon bipartitus)
- Six Line Wrasse(Pseudocheilinus hexataenia) - Great for picking many kinds for worms. but can get very aggressive when it gets established and will bully most of the fish added after him.
-Scarlet Pin Stripe Wrasse(Pseudocheilinus evanidus) similar to six line wrasse but less aggressive.

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looking good Simon, and good luck with your battle with the dreadful AEFW. as I told you on facebook before, a lot of flow and as many as you can get from different wrasses will help significantly.
some of the wrasses I suggest for you to look into:

- Vrolik's Wrasse, Male(Halichoeres chrysotaenia) I have two of them and they are very good.
- Hoeven's Wrasse(Halichoeres melanurus)
-Yellow Wrasse(Halichoeres chrysus)
- Ornate Leopard or False Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon ornatus) easier to keep than true Leopard Wrasse.
- Leopard Wrasse(Macropharyngodon meleagris)
- Blue Star Leopard Wrasse(Macropharyngodon bipartitus)
- Six Line Wrasse(Pseudocheilinus hexataenia) - Great for picking many kinds for worms. but can get very aggressive when it gets established and will bully most of the fish added after him.
-Scarlet Pin Stripe Wrasse(Pseudocheilinus evanidus) similar to six line wrasse but less aggressive.

No experience with AEFW, but I will note FWIW, a peaceful Wrasse, my Pink Streaked Wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia) is great at picking at pods and stuff. Very active, but timid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back