Name Brand vs No Name Brand: Does it make a difference?

Does buying "name brand" aquarium equipment over "generic named" equipment make a difference to you?

• I would rather buy name brand items

Votes: 239 36.6%
  • I would rather buy generic or non-named brand

Votes: 9 1.4%
  • Either one works for me as long as it meets my needs

Votes: 376 57.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 29 4.4%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As a young teenager one of my first jobs was at a grocery store chain as a stocking items! One thing they taught us when training was that the name brand green beans were the exact same green beans that were canned in the no name cans. They said some people don't mind paying more for the name. So let's talk about that when it comes to saltwater aquarium equipment.

1. Does buying "name brand" aquarium equipment over "generic named" equipment make a difference to you?

2. What items will you buy the "name brand" over the "non-name brand?"

3. What items will you buy the "non-name brand" version of over the "name brand"?

generic-vs-branded-800.jpg

Bentonb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One subtle difference between green beans and reef equipment: green beans can't be patented. But please, someone come out with generic ecotech gear! who cares about cease and desist letters?! (just stop before the lawsuit)

All joking aside, when it comes to other dry goods like carbon, rodi membranes and other 'genericable' items I'm game. Heck, even "generic" no named corals catch my eye!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that, when it comes to equipment, there is much more to it than being made in the same factory. Motors are probably the single most obvious example in the aquarium hobby. There are a small handful of motor factories in China that make almost all of the pump motors in our hobby. Quite often, the only visible difference is the color.

An easy example of this is the Lifeguard Quiet One Pro 4000 and Sicce Pro 1000. They are the same motor molded in different color plastics.

1576514935791.png
1576515043524.png

So why the big price difference? First is that the Sicce warranty is better. The Sicce may also be built to tighter tolerances or have more testing done to ensure better quality. The impellers may not be the same. For my return pump, I want the Sicce since reliability is king. For a mixing station? I would save money and go with the Lifeguard.

You can see this in DC pumps, also. In those cases the motor block may be the same but the controller will be different. There is so much more to it than "name brand" and "generic" in my opinion and that it is very challenging for a hobbyist to know the true differences.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to gear, I typically pay the premium for branded gear... here is why-

1) Many times, the branded gear has better customer support than a knock off company. Sure, saving 20% up front is cool, but having a company that backs their products and helps with repairs when needed is even cooler.

2) In food, the contents of the cans may be the same. But for tech, generic/knock off products will sometimes cut corners, even if they are stolen designs. In the industry I work in, there are so many knock offs, and when you open up the internal components, it will be an 80% knock off, but some more crucial components are replaced or changed for cheaper ones. Surprisingly, margins can be thin and the only way for a knock off product to be cheaper, even with a stolen design, is by changing expensive components to cheaper ones.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with other as I feel some things you can get away with cheaper (amazon type alternatives) and other thing brand name (if it is reliable or has better features) is needed because of what you are using it for I’m my salt mixing station I have cheaper amazon pumps and a cheap heater. Since I only use the pumps and heater when I’m around and they don’t get used continuously I didn’t need expensive name brand. Now my pumps (COR 15 & 20) and heaters (Cobalts soon to be upgraded to BRS) in my display which are used 24/7 they are name brand and I have multiples for redundancy. I also have back ups on my supply shelve just in case. I just didn’t see the need to spend that type of money for a water change station even though it’s the same equipment. When I replace the Cobalts they will go into the water change station so and upgrade coming there lol

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a loaded question. I've found in this hobby, brand names represent a company's longevity. Longevity (most times) = reliability. Most times is the key here. There are a ton of inexpensive options, alot are knock offs of quality built gear but the brand names usually have patents or aren't easily duplicated. For the most part I buy brand names for multiple reasons; #1) Warranty #2) durability & #3) performance - #2 & #3 are usually based on other reefers experience. But there are brand names (we won't mention by name) who sometimes rush products to market and have ALL kinds of failures, or who have poor customer relations which can have effects on my purchases also. I try to avoid the inexpensive gear if it's to be a mainstay in my DTs because I don't want to have to replace yearly or have to call someone at Amazon or China to get a replacement. I can call Ecotech or Kessil or Neptune systems and talk to a human and get an answer in a short amount of time.

As I said it's a loaded question and each of us has our own budgets & preferences.

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really varies based on what I am buying. I don't value name brands on LEDs. For example, I know Radion XR30w are good lights, I don't use them, but I'd consider them in some situations. But I wouldn't pay more for a substantially different fixture because it came with either the Radion or EcoTech name.

In contrast, I don't think I would ever consider a "generic" salt mix no matter how cheap it was. There is too great a risk, and I am in no position to evaluate either the current mixture in a bucket (requiring an ICP test that cost more than a bucket of instant ocean) or ongoing consistency (impossible).

Cully

Big Daddy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff ain’t cheap. Cheap stuff ain’t good. Call it experience, but I’m a firm believer in buy once, cry once. Even if it does have a problem, higher end manufacturers are GENERALLY more willing to make things right with you.

PaulPerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different pieces of equipment will get different answers.

I could never see myself paying for a name brand sump for example. The same function can be had for much less in a DIY kit. As has been mentioned, my water change station doesn't get the same attention to quality as does my DT system.

Anything that impacts the well being of my critters has to be reliable more importantly than anything. But that doesn't mean it needs to be name brand, it just needs to be reliable.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something that is critical to the maintenance of the tank such that reliability is paramount branded equipment gives you at least some sense into longevity. You get none of that with fly by night vendors. Some branded equipment may have patent protection, or attempts to accomplish something that is complex. Then of course there is personal preference. I tend to buy brands that have been around for a while for stuff that is important. For a power head that mixes NSW, who cares ..... aquatop, pumperella .... doesn’t matter.

waterskiguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like stuff that’s proven. That usually ends me up with name brings equipment and generic consumables. I’m all for saving money, as long as it’s not at the sacrifice of safety or health.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a young teenager one of my first jobs was at a grocery store chain as a stocking items! One thing they taught us when training was that the name brand green beans were the exact same green beans that were canned in the no name cans. They said some people don't mind paying more for the name. So let's talk about that when it comes to saltwater aquarium equipment.

1. Does buying "name brand" aquarium equipment over "generic named" equipment make a difference to you?

3. What items will you buy the "non-name brand" version of over the "name brand"?

If buying a skimmer, or similar, definitely name brand

If it's gyres and similar then cheaper ones

Has to be critical piece of equipment for us buying name brand

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. In general yes.
2. Lighting, food, and skimmer. Those things are too important to not get the best available in my opinion.
3. I would say I'm more likely to be "lesser" brand names for some things. For example - a Jebao return pump and an AutoAqua Smart ATO instead of some of the more "premier" brands for those two pieces of equipment. Granted I did get MP10's instead of a cheaper priced Hydor setup w/ powerheads and controllers.

Lakehouse9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that, when it comes to equipment, there is much more to it than being made in the same factory. Motors are probably the single most obvious example in the aquarium hobby. There are a small handful of motor factories in China that make almost all of the pump motors in our hobby. Quite often, the only visible difference is the color.

An easy example of this is the Lifeguard Quiet One Pro 4000 and Sicce Pro 1000. They are the same motor molded in different color plastics.

1576514935791.png
1576515043524.png

So why the big price difference? First is that the Sicce warranty is better. The Sicce may also be built to tighter tolerances or have more testing done to ensure better quality. The impellers may not be the same. For my return pump, I want the Sicce since reliability is king. For a mixing station? I would save money and go with the Lifeguard.

You can see this in DC pumps, also. In those cases the motor block may be the same but the controller will be different. There is so much more to it than "name brand" and "generic" in my opinion and that it is very challenging for a hobbyist to know the true differences.

I didn't even realize the quiet one 4k was a generic knockoff lol that's my oldest most dependable pump. I think it's 10yrs old maybe more.

Lakehouse9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a general philosophy in all purchases I feel you get what you pay for. However if a generic has proven itself over time with users a have no problem. When in doubt buy the best you can afford.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who worked in a plant that made products for different companies. That sort of looked alike. I can tell you there are big differences. Our plant made pancakes for different companies around the world. While they where made on the same line and where in most cases the same round size. The materials that went into the different versions where completely different. So the tolerances and grade of materials would be different from one end seller to the next depending on who they where marketing the pancake too. So yes there are differences in Name brand to knock off. I learned thru the years to buy once and be satisfied. Buy cheap knock off and I end up getting burnt.

DavidBearWeber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Name-Brand. I just feel more comfortable about the warranty, R&D and product spec. I will tell you a short story. I am building a kit airplane. Some parts of the airplane is put together with bolts. The bolts must be "AN" spec, which is a certain strength level. Some companies started selling "aircraft certified bolts" and the bolts were not to spec, and airplanes starting falling apart during stress maneuvers and the like. Same with a Tank. I would rather spend more knowing that the company has a reputation to protect, parts and etc.

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an extremely DIY kind of guy, but will pay for expectional quality. That kind of quality typically has a brand and reputation tied to it.

This is even more important when I don't have the right tools to build whatever I'm building, and have to rely on someone else.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back