Nano and Pico Tank Sizes

1.0reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"True" Nanos are under 35 gallons, 40 Breeders I would say are in the realm of nanos and are common, so you may as well include them.
Small nanos under 10-12 gallons to 5-7 gallons
Picos, under 3-4 gallons.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after nano and pico is femto and atto. Maybe an atto tank could be a sealed unit you wear on your wrist.

Just the right size for a pair of tangs :)
So femto could be like those shoes from the 70s with the goldfish in them. Lol.

robandoban

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm unsure why we even need the "nano", "pico" and other classifications. A 40gal is 40 gallons regardless of if it's considered a nano, a small tank, a big tank or whatever.
Why must we name EVERYTHING in this hobby? From corals that are so slightly different in pattern to the point where people are arguing over what it is based on how many spots it has near the mouth to whether or not a tank should fall into a certain classification based on size.
If we treated people the same way we'd be horrible people. Judging how good or bad someone is based on size or skin colour.
Next thing you know people will be arguing over what to name certain light settings. "No it's dusk because the blues are 60% brighter than the whites."
"No, it's late dusk because the whites are below 10%".
Geeeeez! Just accept things for what they are and stop trying to push everything into some sort of category. Things can't be left alone in this hobby. Everything needs to be something....
Exactly!

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is kind of old by now, but another reason for the classification is the care requirements and procedures are different on tanks this small.

What it takes to maintain a half gallon tank is very different than a 40B (even with a sump that brings the total volume to one gallon). Other than livestock limitations, missing a water change for three weeks while still feeding your corals can result in having to disassemble and scrub everything with a toothbrush and do a 100% water change a few times to get everything back on track and back in balance.

I am in the process of this right now after a ridiculous semester even though there were only a couple of scattered light feedings.

I was going to suggest Albert Thiel's prompt of Femto tanks. Less than 1 gallon or less than half a gallon. I've seen some mason jar and light bulb reefs with coral, macro, and pods.

Oh, and don't joke about the watch thing. In China you can get watches, key chains, and other ridiculous stuff with baby turtles and gold fish. They are completely sealed and the animals slowly die.
Depressing: Chinese Vendors Selling Live Fish and Turtles in Plastic Bags as Keychains | The Mary Sue
Real or Hoax: Live Turtle Keychain - wafflesatnoon.com

Last edited:

Big Larr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some people just use the NANO name as an excuse when they can't afford a large tank and they feel like less of a.reefer because they don't have the money that other reefers put into their systems so instead of saying I can't afford a 220 gal they say oh I'm just did a build on a 40g nano cause i wanted to do a small nano tank

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some people just use the NANO name as an excuse when they can't afford a large tank and they feel like less of a.reefer because they don't have the money that other reefers put into their systems so instead of saying I can't afford a 220 gal they say oh I'm just did a build on a 40g nano cause i wanted to do a small nano tank

I have 1 nano tank running right now, it is a 29gal with a 8 gal sump... I am poor..LOL...
I do not feel less of a reefer, I am a reefer on a budget. Heck I will admit it, and my LFS will tell you the same thing.. They are the ones that donated the tank to me :)
One day I will have a Big Boy tank when I have enough money set aside, but for now I love the little tank and will more then likely be setting up my 6 gal long tank again.

Big Larr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome I like the people that will say that I am poor myself and my lfs will attest as well I don't think I have paid full price for a single item lol and currently only have a 20gal set up due to being poor but I don't consider it a nano just in my opinion I feel nanos are smaller I just would like for a lot of the people in the hobby to not think you have to have the most expensive and best stuff to have a reef

Big Larr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some do actually want a nano tank as went I wanted a small tank i did a 5gal tank that i had to eat ramen noodles for a month just to afford it and couldn't put any fish until i found a clown on sale for $14 and some $5 frags

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some do actually want a nano tank as went I wanted a small tank i did a 5gal tank that i had to eat ramen noodles for a month just to afford it and couldn't put any fish until i found a clown on sale for $14 and some $5 frags

LOL... I know the feeling, my first tank was a 4 gal counter top with a nano clown and a few corals they tossed in for fun.. The LFS was selling this small tank because it was just a demo for the store to see if it could be done. They had it for a few months and said forget it, lets sell it... I was the sucker who bought it for a whooping $80.

I then was given the 29 gal and bought the sump.. it is stocked with a few corals (mostly free) from local reefers. I did buy the fish and the anemones :)

Last edited:

Big Larr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice I ended up trading my 5gal for a melanurus wrasse to my lfs and they sold it for $100 so I'm glad to see it passed on and now I'm working on a 57 gallon rimless and going to turn my 20 into the sump for it

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to turn my rimless 6 long into having a fugue in it.. I have to call an acrylic company tomorrow to see if they have a few scarps for me to take.. Free is good with me :)

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love a sump for it, but do not have the room, or do I want to drill through the countertop. I was thinking of using a small canister filter I have or an HOB filter, but it would take away from the sleek look of the tank. The detentions are 23 long x6.5 wide x9.5 high. I figure a 3-4 inch fugue would not take away from it that much.

Big Larr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No that would be sweet that was how my 5 gal was and I put a 150 gph return pump I'm there and didn't need a wave maker so saved money and space

warhorseart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The term "nano" seems to be getting stretched out a bit. Less than 30 gallons is even still, a quite a stretch. Less than 16 gallons, is more like it. Placing an 8 gallon Nuvo next to a 40b, and trying to convince someone they are in the same size category, is bold!

I agree... I have two 8 gallon aio tanks and recently was at a LFS and he says oh you should upgrade to "this" nano. It was 35 gallons with a 20 ga. Sump! No way can you compare that to my 8's. I'm just now stating a 22 ga aio build which is HUGE next to my 8 in the same room. It's gotten kind of stretched out over the last 4 years since I started my first nano. Jmho

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back