Nano and Pico Tank Sizes

joshbbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a pico is 5 and under and nanos are anything 30 and under. To me a "pico" reef implies ridiculously small and a "nano" is just a small tank I dont think a 40b qualifys as I see plenty of folks with yellow tangs and other larger fish in 40's and even 30's and that just doesnt seem very "nano", at that point you have a full on tank. Stocking anything 5g and under is challenging. Anything over 5 and you have alot more options for fish and inverts. If you can keep tangs triggers anthias ect ect you probably dont have a nano. If you find your list of fish being about 2 or 3 long you probably have a pico. Just my .02

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you know whats funny, ive always wanted to deem pico reefs as any tank a reasonable person could pick up while running full to move, if needed. I like that designation because i think a 5 g is too big to be a pico, and its certainly not easy to move full but my pico reef ive literally driven it across town full before lol holding w just one hand resting on my armrest:

CarReef.jpg

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you know whats funny, ive always wanted to deem pico reefs as any tank a reasonable person could pick up while running full to move, if needed. I like that designation because i think a 5 g is too big to be a pico, and its certainly not easy to move full but my pico reef ive literally driven it across town full before lol holding w just one hand resting on my armrest:

That made me smile :)

squillaempusa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OTE="Slm222, post: 1809798, member: 37142"]A 40 breeder actually has more than 40 gallons though. I would agree with 30g or less.[/QUOTE]
Rra

Really? Never heard that. How many gallons does it actually hold?

A+Aquatics

Rare Coral Curator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CarReef.jpg
This brought me nothing, but complete joy!
You've renewed the interest for the vase system.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want so badly to fly that around my neighborhood with a drone for no particularly good reason other than to have the first drone transported marine aquarium. my hex can lift six of those.

A+Aquatics

Rare Coral Curator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want so badly to fly that around my neighborhood with a drone for no particularly good reason other than to have the first drone transported marine aquarium. my hex can lift six of those.
This made me LOL! I like the idea and would totally lose it if I saw a drone flying around with a pico display ;Woot;Smuggrin

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shameless plug but relevant
not a hex lol but a micro traveler and micro planted display.

Last edited:

T_O_P_L_E_S_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always considered .5-9 pico, 10-30 a nano, 31-55 small reef, 56-99med, 100+ large
Classification is really just good as a description and not a hard rule.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didnt know what to expect when I clicked on this thread. I would have defined nano tank as 20G or less, I think.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back