Nano and Pico Tank Sizes

I guess Nanos are becoming not so Nano any more ... and I see a lot of 40B's that are being referred to as Nanos but I agree maybe there should be a category called " Small Reef" in addition to Nano, and Pico, and maybe even Femto :)
Yes I agree, it's a bit like mobile phones, the "in-thing" was smaller phones as technology developed, next thing you know our mobile phones are almost the size of tablets
 
Personally, I don't really see the utility of categorizing tanks as pico, nano or otherwise - the exception being to be able to navigate to forum threads that are regarding tanks that are in a specific size range.

Other than that, pico compared to what? Nano compared to what? I would submit that any tank, even the mult-million gallon tanks in public aquariums are "pico" compared to the natural habitat from which the inhabitants are collected.
 
I have a 23 gallon and even I have a hard time considering it a nano but it basically is. I think this is because freshwater world many many many people have 20 gallon or smaller and they are considered regular size not "nano"
In saltwater everyone wants 100 gallons as a dream tank because corals grow much larger than fish generally, over time.

Still, I consider 30 gallon or less a nano and under 10 gallon a pico.
 
Personally, I don't really see the utility of categorizing tanks as pico, nano or otherwise - the exception being to be able to navigate to forum threads that are regarding tanks that are in a specific size range.

Other than that, pico compared to what? Nano compared to what? I would submit that any tank, even the mult-million gallon tanks in public aquariums are "pico" compared to the natural habitat from which the inhabitants are collected.

Pico specifically means (for me) that you can't use normal reef equipjent because the tank is so small. Normal meaning what is available on the market at good price and everyone using it so we have good reviews on it.

Like you can't really plumb a pico tank IMO. You cant add a popular wavemaker.
 
Pico
EFE65F6F-63BD-4F90-ABA9-2E4FA662FE12.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • F784FA25-5BAC-4233-B4DB-BA7C72B78D95.jpeg
    F784FA25-5BAC-4233-B4DB-BA7C72B78D95.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 111

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new