Nano and Pico Tank Sizes

Ulm_nano_diybudgetreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess Nanos are becoming not so Nano any more ... and I see a lot of 40B's that are being referred to as Nanos but I agree maybe there should be a category called " Small Reef" in addition to Nano, and Pico, and maybe even Femto :)
Yes I agree, it's a bit like mobile phones, the "in-thing" was smaller phones as technology developed, next thing you know our mobile phones are almost the size of tablets

adobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I don't really see the utility of categorizing tanks as pico, nano or otherwise - the exception being to be able to navigate to forum threads that are regarding tanks that are in a specific size range.

Other than that, pico compared to what? Nano compared to what? I would submit that any tank, even the mult-million gallon tanks in public aquariums are "pico" compared to the natural habitat from which the inhabitants are collected.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 23 gallon and even I have a hard time considering it a nano but it basically is. I think this is because freshwater world many many many people have 20 gallon or smaller and they are considered regular size not "nano"
In saltwater everyone wants 100 gallons as a dream tank because corals grow much larger than fish generally, over time.

Still, I consider 30 gallon or less a nano and under 10 gallon a pico.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I don't really see the utility of categorizing tanks as pico, nano or otherwise - the exception being to be able to navigate to forum threads that are regarding tanks that are in a specific size range.

Other than that, pico compared to what? Nano compared to what? I would submit that any tank, even the mult-million gallon tanks in public aquariums are "pico" compared to the natural habitat from which the inhabitants are collected.

Pico specifically means (for me) that you can't use normal reef equipjent because the tank is so small. Normal meaning what is available on the market at good price and everyone using it so we have good reviews on it.

Like you can't really plumb a pico tank IMO. You cant add a popular wavemaker.

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pico
EFE65F6F-63BD-4F90-ABA9-2E4FA662FE12.jpeg

Attachments

• F784FA25-5BAC-4233-B4DB-BA7C72B78D95.jpeg
    F784FA25-5BAC-4233-B4DB-BA7C72B78D95.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 40
Back