Nano Controllable Powerheads

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone,

Yesterday my Jebao PP-4 DC Powerhead quit on me, so now I'm in the market for a new pump. I would like it be controllable in the sense that it has a variable flow pattern and intensity controls.

What would you all suggest? I was looking at the Aqamai by Hydor Wi-Fi Powerhead but I was also considering the MP10 or even the mini gyre pump Icecap makes.

Tank specs: Innovative Marine Nuvo 20, mixed reef, mostly SPS and zoas, one 3 head torch coral to consider.

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had that tank and the budget, I’d spring for either a single MP 10 or either two Aqamai KPS or one or two of the newer Jebao OW powerheads — which have a better motor than the PPs. I have a Aqamai KPS in my Nuvo 10 (lots of SPS up top and a ton of zoas and LPS in the lower 2/3). I have it running in wave mode at 90% and it’s just adequate for the 10 gallon. I don’t think a single KPS would do it for a 20, but they’re great powerheads and I absolutely love the controllability. They also don’t seem to slow down between cleanings like the Jebao I used to have did.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deleted

Last edited:
OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had that tank and the budget, I’d spring for either a single MP 10 or either two Aqamai KPS or one or two of the newer Jebao OW powerheads — which have a better motor than the PPs. I have a Aqamai KPS in my Nuvo 10 (lots of SPS up top and a ton of zoas and LPS in the lower 2/3). I have it running in wave mode at 90% and it’s just adequate for the 10 gallon. I don’t think a single KPS would do it for a 20, but they’re great powerheads and I absolutely love the controllability. They also don’t seem to slow down between cleanings like the Jebao I used to have did.
Thanks for the feedback, I thought they looked a little on the softer side in terms of specs.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've honestly never used any powerheads but those Neros look pretty good and a good alternative to the MP10s. They haven't been out on the market very long so hard to tell how they stand up to long term use but so far most users are pretty happy with them.
Probably a bit too big for my tank haha

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the mp-10 on this tank. I run it at 80% reefcrest and it does well. I have Millipora down to zoas and they are doing good.

Only complaint is the corals definitely grow a certain way because the flow generally always comes from one direction regardless if its slow or strong at certain times.

I'd love to have two mp-10s haha

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 73.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back