Nano Newbie

Screwby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. Just joined the forums and been finding some interesting reading. I just purchased an AQUATOP Recife 24g cube. I haven't done much yet except assemble everything. I've had 29g and 90g saltwater, fish only tanks about 20 years ago, and just getting back into the hobby again. I'm going to try my luck with a small reef tank this time. I think I'll run with the stock equipment while it cycles, but I'm guessing the light will need upgrading soon. I will likely stay with LPS and Softies for corals, a few fish, and some inverts. I was thinking of the AI 16HD since the tank isn't very large. I'm still a couple of weeks away from getting everything needed and filling the tank.

If anyone has any suggestions on lighting, substrate depth, pump flow, dry/live rock, please feel free to advise.

OP
OP
Screwby

Screwby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220826_195840.jpg
20220826_195852.jpg

OP
OP
Screwby

Screwby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the tank has been running since beginning of June. I've had some mild brown and green algae phases, but nothing excessive. I added 2 trochus snails and 2 hermit crabs about a month in. It's been 3 months now and finally added some fish the past couple weeks. I'm trying to be patient and wait another month or two before trying and anemone or soft corals. I'm somewhat limited though due to my 24G tank size.

current inhabitants are 6 trochus snails, 6 blue leg hermit crabs, purple firefish, 2 pink skunk clowns, and a six line wrasse.

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like GSP. You need to know that when it takes off, it will cover all rock it comes in contact with very, very quickly. Most people recommend keeping it on its own "island rock" to prevent it getting out of control.

20220304_134229.jpg

Here you can see my GSP on a rock about the size of a baseball in my AquaTop 24g AIO. The GSP started about the size of a quarter. You can also see the new growth in the front center and left side. Several millimeters growth per DAY!

OP
OP
Screwby

Screwby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's GSP. I don't mind if it takes off. My rocks aren't glued together because I planned on a larger tank within a year or so. I purchased a RedSea max e-170 and hope to have it cycling by January. I'm replacing the laminate flooring in my bedroom and need to have that finished first. It will never get done if the tank is full of rock, water, and sand. Lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back