Nano Reef Stocking Suggestions

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I'd like to get some suggestions on livestock for a 10 gallon nano (this will be my 3rd tank). I tend to prefer more uncommon species when it comes to stocking my tanks so here are a few of the options I've been thinking of...

Fish - (will get 1 or 2 depending on species)
  • Tailspot Blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura)
  • Neon Gobies (Elacatinus sp.; not sure which one I want)
  • Shrimp + Goby Pair (quite a few options available)
  • Red Neon Eviota Goby (Eviota nigriventris)
Inverts -
  • Sexy Shrimp (Thor amboinensis)
  • Pederson's Cleaner Shrimp (Ancylomenes pedersoni)
  • Porcelain Crab (Petrolisthes galathinus)

What are your thoughts with these? Any other suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated!

Daniel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TS - you will not regret. While shy in the beginning, these small fish have so much personality.... oh and they utilize your rockwork, which I really like.

I love a good Goby+PS combo. I had a YWG/Pistol.

If you are not set on the cleaner shrimp, look into the fire shrimp - really unique imo.

Daniel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and while no crab is ever fully reef save (based on ton of forum posts), I have heard great things about Pom Pom crabs and I might pick one up soon.

OP
OP
cristata.reef

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a fire shrimp before and I think they might get a little bit too big for the nano (considering the antenna length) and although they are gorgeous, they do tend to pick on corals in my experience. The Pederson's supposedly doesn't and has some brilliant indigo spots that are pretty unique

OP
OP
cristata.reef

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the tailspot. Perfect blenny for a nano. Really unique coloring and great personality.

Any thoughts about blennies showing aggression to gobies? I can't find any substantiated reports of them being aggressive towards each other, but I can't find any proving otherwise

Saltygirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blenny, clown, and fire shrimp in my 12g nano. Everyone is happy and good [emoji847]. The clown loooooves to play with the blenny. It’s quite hilarious

OP
OP
cristata.reef

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't imagine it would be an issue. My blenny and fire fish leave each other alone. I feel gobies and dart fish are somewhat similar.

Practically yes they are similar with the exception of dartfish being more social. Taxonomically speaking, they're pretty different

BoBoBREWSKI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13.5 gallon
Any of you had good luck with a Royal Gramma in a nano?
Would it get along OK with a Blue/Green Chromis? I'd like to add more color/variety to my tank, so thinking of getting rid of 2 of my Blue/Green Chromis and replacing them with a fish with different colors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cristata.reef

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13.5 gallon
Any of you had good luck with a Royal Gramma in a nano?
Would it get along OK with a Blue/Green Chromis? I'd like to add more color/variety to my tank, so thinking of getting rid of 2 of my Blue/Green Chromis and replacing them with a fish with different colors.
I think they should be fine permitted they have enough caves and overhangs to hide in

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back