Nano Tank Owners!

john92708

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have chaeto in chamber 2 with a nicrew led light on a 13hr on period. It does ok and grows chaeto quickly but I like keeping my fish fat and feed heavily and this keeps my no3 high. The DIY nitrate destroyer is suppose to remove down to zero nitrates and adjustable up to your liking via flow and dosage. It essentially equivalent to doing a 10% water change every 24hrs. The guy who came up with the idea has a beautiful tank with no water changes. He adds trace elements and such.

edit: my chamber 2 light is indeed a innovative marine chaetomax light.
you don't want zero nitrate since corals need them too. I find that algae use up more nutrient than chaeto in my experience. I was having algae issues in the display when I was using chaeto in the back chamber. I removed the chaeto, added some plastic mesh for the algae to hold on too. the algae in my display went away about 2 week after the algae established in the back chamber.

a_reefer11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Gonis the one on the right is more pink, the one on the left is more red now with blue mouth
This is how big one on the right is now

Attachments

• 18BBF557-F993-4FF9-914E-CA529FBBAEDD.jpeg
    18BBF557-F993-4FF9-914E-CA529FBBAEDD.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 60

john92708

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see the filtration in the back. This is what I want my Evo to look like.
1st chamber have a small about 2 inch square mechanical filter blue pad and some carbon in case some of the corals release toxins. 2nd chamber is the NF-1 nano protein skimmer with airline to the outside to help aerate the tank and keep PH stable. maintenance include daily top off, cheatogro & Iron dosing about every 2-3 days, replace filter pad about every 2-3 weeks and clean the skimmer cup. the skimmer is not doing much anymore other than aerate the tank. no water change unless if I see something is wrong like when I overdose all for reef last month. I was experimenting and stop using since. 3rd chamber is return pump and heater, plan to add an ATO eventurally
IMG_1359.jpeg

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you don't want zero nitrate since corals need them too. I find that algae use up more nutrient than chaeto in my experience. I was having algae issues in the display when I was using chaeto in the back chamber. I removed the chaeto, added some plastic mesh for the algae to hold on too. the algae in my display went away about 2 week after the algae established in the back chamber.
Yes sir, you’re absolutely correct, zero nutrients are no good. This gentleman , RIP , was able to tweak his to constantly flow to his preferred n03 level and was able to do so by just adjusting flow rate and or dose level. He’s done the same for several People and a lot of other folk on his thread have had success replicating his device. Not sure if it’ll work for me but, this hobby is about trying stuff out. Lol.

A2dahlberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st chamber have a small about 2 inch square mechanical filter blue pad and some carbon in case some of the corals release toxins. 2nd chamber is the NF-1 nano protein skimmer with airline to the outside to help aerate the tank and keep PH stable. maintenance include daily top off, cheatogro & Iron dosing about every 2-3 days, replace filter pad about every 2-3 weeks and clean the skimmer cup. the skimmer is not doing much anymore other than aerate the tank. no water change unless if I see something is wrong like when I overdose all for reef last month. I was experimenting and stop using since. 3rd chamber is return pump and heater, plan to add an ATO eventurally
IMG_1359.jpeg
Thanks

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons is that?
10g aqueon currently in that picture, the bottom travertine tile was originally cut to fit a 5g aqeon diy aio I made for a nano-reef.com contest, which I was using until I accidentally cracked the glass adjusting the ai prime flex mount too aggressively

og 5g “travertine pico”
45DB6229-A0A1-4857-BC9A-9B2DAFFBFA58.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back