Nano tank water level !

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers
So I have the waterbox 15g peninsula and I am having trouble with the water level. I’m getting a film on the surface because the over flow is not skimmer correctly.. the water level in the filter chambers is the same level as the display so it’s not pulling water in efficient enough to skim correctly. I tried taking some water out but that didn’t work it just ends up being the same level as the display. I’m new to nano tanks I’m used to bigger displays. Any thoughts on how to get the water level high enough in the display while keeping it lower in the filter chambers ? It’s driving me nuts ! Thanks !

happy reefing !

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had same issue different tank and used this.... I believe a few other makers of the same sort of thing as well.
I do need that but that Intank one is a little too big ! Can you find another like this one ?!

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers
So I have the waterbox 15g peninsula and I am having trouble with the water level. I’m getting a film on the surface because the over flow is not skimmer correctly.. the water level in the filter chambers is the same level as the display so it’s not pulling water in efficient enough to skim correctly. I tried taking some water out but that didn’t work it just ends up being the same level as the display. I’m new to nano tanks I’m used to bigger displays. Any thoughts on how to get the water level high enough in the display while keeping it lower in the filter chambers ? It’s driving me nuts ! Thanks !

happy reefing !

I suspect that you didn't take enough water out to create the different water levels between the display and the rear chamber.

As the water level drops the total volume of water that can get through the overflow slots into the rear chamber decreases. There will come a point where not enough water can get into the rear chamber to compensate for the pump delivering water to the display area. As the water level is further decreased a 'waterfall' is created which helps remove the surface scum and provides aeration. If you take too much water out, then you'll start hearing gurgling noises from the increased waterfall drop. In my 12g AIO I have it set to provide as much of a waterfall drop as possible (around 1-1/4") which is just before it starts to get 'gurgly'.

One thing to note is that if your pump slows down from clogging there will be less inflow and less of a waterfall effect with the same volume of water. As part of my maintenance routine, I clean the pump every month to maintain strong flow and optimal skimming/aeration.

Quick tip: If you really want to have a healthy nano, I'd suggest one of the inexpensive 'rotating flow deflectors' (I use the Hydor). I've experimented over the long term with using just a single outflow vs. the rotating nozzle and let's just say that I wouldn't run my nano without one. The second best option is to partition the waterbox single outflow into two and thereby provide for more chaotic current flow in the display.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect that you didn't take enough water out to create the different water levels between the display and the rear chamber.

As the water level drops the total volume of water that can get through the overflow slots into the rear chamber decreases. There will come a point where not enough water can get into the rear chamber to compensate for the pump delivering water to the display area. As the water level is further decreased a 'waterfall' is created which helps remove the surface scum and provides aeration. If you take too much water out, then you'll start hearing gurgling noises from the increased waterfall drop. In my 12g AIO I have it set to provide as much of a waterfall drop as possible (around 1-1/4") which is just before it starts to get 'gurgly'.

One thing to note is that if your pump slows down from clogging there will be less inflow and less of a waterfall effect with the same volume of water. As part of my maintenance routine, I clean the pump every month to maintain strong flow and optimal skimming/aeration.

Quick tip: If you really want to have a healthy nano, I'd suggest one of the inexpensive 'rotating flow deflectors' (I use the Hydor). I've experimented over the long term with using just a single outflow vs. the rotating nozzle and let's just say that I wouldn't run my nano without one. The second best option is to partition the waterbox single outflow into two and thereby provide for more chaotic current flow in the display.
Exactly. I tried that. but the problem is that I cannot get the display water level up near the waterbox logo at the same time as having that good waterfall effect … maybe my return pump is not working correctly? I have a sicce 1.0 for the peninsula mini 15. It’s supposed to be an upgrade but maybe it’s not working properly?

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JBJ has a few different size ones as well.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. I tried that. but the problem is that I cannot get the display water level up near the waterbox logo at the same time as having that good waterfall effect … maybe my return pump is not working correctly? I have a sicce 1.0 for the peninsula mini 15. It’s supposed to be an upgrade but maybe it’s not working properly?
I installed the same pump a few months ago and it's quite powerful for it's size. Since the flow is adjustable, have you looked to see if it's set for maximum flow rate?

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an ATO installed?

Suspicion 1 — would be that your return pump does not have high enough of a flow rate to keep up with the rate of water returning back thru the overflow

Suspicion 2 — would be an ATO sensor that needs to be moved lower in the return chamber. *less likely*

Suspicion 3 — the divider between the return chamber and the middle chamber was made incorrectly and is too tall. *very unlikely since it's a Waterbox and not a DIY AIO*

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried I believe it is maxed out. How do you know it’s maxed out?

The front round cover of the pump has an 'adjustable opening' to regulate how much water is sucked in and thereby the amount that's pushed out.

If you don't have the instructions that came with the pump, then you can find the Sicce 1.0 manual online to give you a pictorial view/explanation.

Last edited:
Back