Nano temp control. what are you using?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say byte the bullet and go with the Apex.
My tank temps have never been more stable. (That's ONE thing the Apex gets right, for me anyway.)

Besides the Apex is afterall a PLC Programmable Logic Controller.
Most of the first PLC units decade's ago were used primarily as temprature controllers, so the technology at this time is fairly solid.

My 4 Eheim Jager's continuously have a 2 degree swing. two have failed me in les than six months.
IncBird controller is better but still swings more than I want.
BRS controller unit also swings more than I want.

The other heaters or controllers mentioned here I have not tried so cant say one way or the other.

So far I am a big fan of the German made BRS Titanium heaters.

Last edited:

MobiMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am debating some temp control options for my nano RFA tank.

what are you using as how is it working for you?

my options are:
1. nothing -get a new heater and trust it replace every year or 2. the cheapest option until....
2. inkbird very mixed reviews here
3. BRS temp controller might be even worse than above. bummer I was hoping this was going to be great.
4. rancho temp controller I hear they might be better as they are made for industry?
5. $200 hrdros control 2 very basic but does have some interesting features for a nono might work
6. get an extra apex temp prob. PM1 and eb8 suck it up and run the wires across the house . be about $200
7. win the lottery and get the apex EL unit with eb832

thoughts and feedback.
all I really want to right now is control the heater so it will not fry my tank I live in a cold climate so it runs 3/4 of the year...but other features down the road would be nice option to have if I am spending the money.

I use an Inkbird temp controller (ITC-308) and have had no issues with it other than the typically sparse instruction manual. It keeps my tank within half a degree Celsius of my desired temp of 25C (Fans connected also)

*It has worked consistently, constantly.

*When I've had to power it off for extended periods (Tank changes etc.) it has remembered my previous settings.

*Current and desired temperature are clearly legible from a distance (at least 10 feet/3 metres)

*It's cheap (approx. £35.00 / US$45.00)

I would wholeheartedly recommend this controller.

Note: This is not in a nano tank.

Steve Erekson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an Inkbird temp controller (ITC-308) and have had no issues with it other than the typically sparse instruction manual. It keeps my tank within half a degree Celsius of my desired temp of 25C (Fans connected also)

*It has worked consistently, constantly.

*When I've had to power it off for extended periods (Tank changes etc.) it has remembered my previous settings.

*Current and desired temperature are clearly legible from a distance (at least 10 feet/3 metres)

*It's cheap (approx. £35.00 / US$45.00)

I would wholeheartedly recommend this controller.

Note: This is not in a nano tank.

glad you are having success with the inkbird that seems to be the case some loveit and it works others not so much. I love love do do a poll and see what are the real # of this controller to get a better idea of who its working for folks.

maybe i will...lol
thanks for the feedback!

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say byte the bullet and go with the Apex.
My tank temps have never been more stable. (That's ONE thing the Apex gets right, for me anyway.)

Besides the Apex is afterall a PLC Programmable Logic Controller.
Most of the first PLC units decade's ago were used primarily as temprature controllers, so the technology at this time is fairly solid.

My 4 Eheim Jager's continuously have a 2 degree swing. two have failed me in les than six months.
IncBird controller is better but still swings more than I want.
BRS controller unit also swings more than I want.

The other heaters or controllers mentioned here I have not tried so cant say one way or the other.

So far I am a big fan of the German made BRS Titanium heaters.

I am leaning wards that . keeping my eye out for a used PM1
crazy how pricey those little modules are cant be that much tech in there. oh wait it's apex...lol

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a 50w Cobalt in my 10 gallon. It's been about a month, we will see.....

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this with my 50 watt Neo-Therm.
4CF5A15B-B70B-4CA7-8DFF-3EBE9FB2314B.png

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just go with the inkbird it's the same temp has my Hanna silinity checker. And going on 3 years now and they are pretty chep

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am debating some temp control options for my nano RFA tank.

what are you using as how is it working for you?

my options are:
1. nothing -get a new heater and trust it replace every year or 2. the cheapest option until....
2. inkbird very mixed reviews here
3. BRS temp controller might be even worse than above. bummer I was hoping this was going to be great.
4. rancho temp controller I hear they might be better as they are made for industry?
5. $200 hrdros control 2 very basic but does have some interesting features for a nono might work
6. get an extra apex temp prob. PM1 and eb8 suck it up and run the wires across the house . be about $200
7. win the lottery and get the apex EL unit with eb832

thoughts and feedback.
all I really want to right now is control the heater so it will not fry my tank I live in a cold climate so it runs 3/4 of the year...but other features down the road would be nice option to have if I am spending the money.

The BRS controller is pretty much a rebranded inkbird from what I can tell. Whichever way you go, it's a good idea to have redundancy. I will be using two BRS titanium heaters with their controller (set to aound 76 and 79 respectively). I will also keep a backup controller on hand and will eventually setup an additional probe for Apex monitoring.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i dont have to decide right now but after the move when I am setting up the big tank I think I might just go the route of adding the PM1 to the main apex I mean why not I have it might as well make it worth the investment eh?

of course I might change my mind when I go to spend the cash to do it...haha

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back