Nano wavewaker vs. upgraded return pump

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty. So, I would like to add more flow in my 4 gallon pico. It's a peninsula style tank and the display portion is roughly 10" x 8" x 8". I've swapped out the stock return pump for Sicce Nano rated at 110 GPH. It's fine. There's moderate flow everywhere except for the back of the tank where there's a couple of dead spots. I wanted to add more flow to keep acros, but I'm on the fence about either getting a mini DC pump, or just upgrade the return. Please let me know what would be best. Here are my choices.

Aqamai KPS - programmable, small, directional.

Hygger Mini Wavemaker - programmable, small, can't place in the back because the magnet can't be submerged in the AIO sump.

Sicce Silent 0.5 - fits in the AIO sump, rated at 185 GPH

Newa Mini MN606 - fits in the AIO sump, rated at 159 GPH

The CONS for the DC pumps are 1) extra hardware in the DT, 2) might be too strong for a small pico

The CON for the return pumps is that it's not programmable.

Thanks for the feedback.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a DC return pump? Any of those small enough to fit? If not, I’d probably opt for a dc powerhead. I added an ac powerhead to my son’s 10g simply because I wanted cheap

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3g betta tank and the slw 5 pump is too much imo.
U can try the hygger mini but imo id just up the return pump if the aio can handle it.
Maybe a Y on the return or one of the non directional flow nozzles installed on the end so it rotates and moves.
Hths
D

OP
OP
K

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a DC return pump? Any of those small enough to fit? If not, I’d probably opt for a dc powerhead. I added an ac powerhead to my son’s 10g simply because I wanted cheap

I can't find a DC return pump small enough. The return chamber is too small.

OP
OP
K

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3g betta tank and the slw 5 pump is too much imo.
U can try the hygger mini but imo id just up the return pump if the aio can handle it.
Maybe a Y on the return or one of the non directional flow nozzles installed on the end so it rotates and moves.
Hths
D

The directional nozzle might be worth a try. I have an RFG currently and maybe more GPH might do the trick also.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back