Naoko Fairy wrasse

clownlovers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I recently saw a knuco ferry Ross at my LFS and asked them what tank size I needed to make the fish happy they told me all I needed was a 15 gallon. I thought it was a little off but I really liked the fish and I know they’re reef safe, and have done some prior research on them. So I took their word and got fish . When I brought him home I noticed he was hiding a lot and wasn’t free swimming at the top of the tank like the LFS said. All my research has been Naoko fairy wrasse that I see is in 100+ gallon mixed reef tanks.. My house is pretty small I’m not able to fit a tank of that size in my room or in the house in a spot where my mom would be OK with it. I guess my question is I’m looking to upgrade my tank to support the fish but what tank size what I need to go to to make this fish happy

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the fish back. Tell the person who sold it to you they arent the most intelligent. Do your research and form an appropriate stocking list for your current tank based on your research. Go from there.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I recently saw a knuco ferry Ross at my LFS and asked them what tank size I needed to make the fish happy they told me all I needed was a 15 gallon. I thought it was a little off but I really liked the fish and I know they’re reef safe, and have done some prior research on them. So I took their word and got fish . When I brought him home I noticed he was hiding a lot and wasn’t free swimming at the top of the tank like the LFS said. All my research has been Naoko fairy wrasse that I see is in 100+ gallon mixed reef tanks.. My house is pretty small I’m not able to fit a tank of that size in my room or in the house in a spot where my mom would be OK with it. I guess my question is I’m looking to upgrade my tank to support the fish but what tank size what I need to go to to make this fish happy

I would do a 40 breeder or 55g at minimum for a fairy wrasse. Bigger is better ofc.... 15g is a no way. The fun of these fish is to see them swim and show off... can't do that without some room.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bringing him back to the LFS would be the best option. The fish’s well being always comes first. No idea who the idiot was that told you a 15 gallon would be fine. If you did fall in love with the “knuco ferry Ross” and are committed to finding a way to get yourself a new tank, best be around 70 gallons to suit him comfortably for while he grows.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont you think 40 is a little small? Naoko‘s are very active and can be aggressive.

It's bare min. Ya they can be aggressive, I would not mix it with something it might be aggressive with in such a tank.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's bare min. Ya they can be aggressive, I would not mix it with something it might be aggressive with in such a tank.
Maybe a 40 but with minimum fish? Especially the ones with the same swimming space?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a 40 but with minimum fish? Especially the ones with the same swimming space?

Ya, I mean.. you have to stock every tank (or should) compatible for the space and species you have.

I would not put other fairys or flashers in with it. I find they will show off to other fish anyways that are not wrasse.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it’s relatively late for me tonight so I’ll try and get a proper reply tomorrow however I am watching this thread so I don’t forget about it.

P.S. I have had this fish in both a 18” nano and my 4’ tank along with several other wrasses from different and the same genera.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so, The Naoko’s Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus naokoae) is a highly active species compared to their smaller size. As I said, I have kept mine in an 18”x15”x18” tank. He was happy in there for over a year. I got him in I believe July of 2021, he was around 0.5 inches, maybe smaller. He is now residing in my 4’ tank and has been since August of this year. He is the smallest wrasse (And possibly smallest fish) in the tank however he is the most active on there. 3’ would be best longterm however, a 15g would suffice for a grow out or a temporary house.
I had to move my naoko into my 4’ tank due to him having damaged pelvic fins. He was also much less colourful without a reason to display. Here he is when he was in my max nano:
FFA97B37-8842-4AC5-B88C-1E367D985B17.jpeg

The rock scape has to be designed around these fish. The Naoko’s fairy is a top/mid column swimmer so I didn’t want as tall of a rock scape to help him have the swimming room.
As you may be able to see, he was in there with 2 other wrasses. He was totally peaceful around them, where they get the reputation for aggressive behaviour is most likely due to the flashing. I have seen others (I even did this until recently) saying that flashing was the same as aggression. It really isn’t, flashing is just where two or more males display towards eachother to show their territory. Aggression is when they start to nip at eachother.
Here’s the naoko in display, yes they’re a beautiful fish with a great personality but displaying is when theyre at their height in speed.
37F1CBAC-3B8D-4D35-BF68-265A7AF9A0B7.jpeg

Here is the reason as to why I had to move the naoko into my 4’ tank. He would display rather often and due to this the risk of damage was higher. I left it rather late to transfer him to the 4’ tank so here’s the damage that was done.
7656454C-52D2-45C0-AD1D-1A53CE038BD1.jpeg

One of his pelvic fins got torn, the other did get ripped but that was a day or so after he went into this tank. He also had a damaged Caudal fin, he was swimming but he wasn’t the best at it. He ended up with a wound just above his eye and another half way down his body. All of these wounds did heal however I moved him into my 4’ tank due to the room he now has to swim (and he uses the majority of it) meaning that he is less likely to get blemishing on him from the rockscape. Another reason I moved him was due to the wounds being less likely to get infected. The more water you have, the harder it is to lose stability. When fish get infected it’s often due to the stability constantly on the move, if something doesn’t stay balanced during the healing time then the likelihood is that you will have an infected fish.
Here he is in a more recent photo;
51B037FC-79EC-4259-815B-3D368FF74495.jpeg

As you can see, all of the damages are healed. He is also in with these wrasses and out of them all he is the most peaceful;
- Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (Indonesian)
- Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (Cebu)
- Paracheilinus spp (Three Way Hybrid)
- Halichoeres iridis
- Halichoeres chloropterus

Hope you figure out what’s best for the fish in the future.
You can keep him for now however once he grows you’ll want to rehome him either in your own larger tank - 3’ length and 16” Width is minimum IMHO - or in someone else’s tank. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back