Narrowed It to Two Scapes - Which One Is Best?

Which Scape Is Your Favorite

• Total voters
OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t like the big structure in the middle of B so by these pictures of the two I’m going to go with A.
If I had to be honest though I don’t love either one of them.

Thanks for letting me know your thoughts! Any suggestions for changes with the rock available in the pics that would make it look better?

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From this angle I prefer B, this just adds so much in terms of looks and it makes it seem more natural. I agree with it needing more caves but also I think they need more height. The way they look currently is alright however they look extremely low down which tends to reduce territory that can be claimed IME.

Thanks for letting me know your thoughts!

It's tough to see in the pics - the tank will be 18" or 20" high - leaving 4-6" between the highest rock points and the water level..

When you mention territory - are you talking about fish or coral?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for letting me know your thoughts! Any suggestions for changes with the rock available in the pics that would make it look better?
I have found myself recently liking the looks of nsa aquascapes, where essentially the rock gets broken into smaller pieces and then glued back together in more unusual shapes.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for letting me know your thoughts!

It's tough to see in the pics - the tank will be 18" or 20" high - leaving 4-6" between the highest rock points and the water level..

When you mention territory - are you talking about fish or coral?
Territory is needed for everything, inverts, coral, fish ect… it also highly depends on what coral you want or how many fish you plan for. For example;
In my 3’x16”x1’ tank I want to go lower in numbers of species of fish but more in terms of numbers of specimens of those species. I want more inverts and coral but the few fish I want I plan to have being fish some would say are on my “wish list” as well as being flashy.
I mainly have SPS coral but I hope this gives an idea of what I’m trying to say.
0E6A4A59-6985-4D62-9FA4-58AA7916DD05.jpeg

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have found myself recently liking the looks of nsa aquascapes, where essentially the rock gets broken into smaller pieces and then glued back together in more unusual shapes.

It's funny, I've been watching a ton of these videos too, and thought of going this route. Some of my favorite scapes were made from Hatian rock - the kind with the light "lettuce leaf"-type structures.

I'm just too lazy to do the breaking and cementing of the rock!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny, I've been watching a ton of these videos too, and thought of going this route. Some of my favorite scapes were made from Hatian rock - the kind with the light "lettuce leaf"-type structures.

I'm just too lazy to do the breaking and cementing of the rock!
I did one a few months back and I just used a chisel to break it apart and then glued it back together with superglue and baking soda. It formed a stronger bond than I expected. It was actually a fun process.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Territory is needed for everything, inverts, coral, fish ect… it also highly depends on what coral you want or how many fish you plan for. For example;
In my 3’x16”x1’ tank I want to go lower in numbers of species of fish but more in terms of numbers of specimens of those species. I want more inverts and coral but the few fish I want I plan to have being fish some would say are on my “wish list” as well as being flashy.
I mainly have SPS coral but I hope this gives an idea of what I’m trying to say.
0E6A4A59-6985-4D62-9FA4-58AA7916DD05.jpeg

Yes, this helps a lot - I see the holes and crevices you were mentioning earlier....

Thanks for posting the picture, and I love the clam you have there as your centerpiece. Thanks for taking the time to write...

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this helps a lot - I see the holes and crevices you were mentioning earlier....

Thanks for posting the picture, and I love the clam you have there as your centerpiece. Thanks for taking the time to write...
My Deresa is just the beginning of the clam collection haha. Hunting a Squamosa for the back. Soon I’ll be overrun with clams as I plan to move the deresa into my 4’ tank once it out grows it’s current tank (If I get a squamosa then I’ll end up doing the same).
The nooks and crannies help the secretive fish… I swear I have 5-6 fish in that tank.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back